Fall Creators Update aka Update 1709

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get multiple fails but it did break a whole bunch of things that then get fixed by rolling it back and then get broken again trying to apply again.

I decided just to install a fresh copy using the Media Creation Tool and a USB drive.

Micro @!#$ at it again.

Last edited:
Microsoft Edge, I don't even use it, it's Chrome to the exclusion of all. What gives? Is this a game changer for Edge in terms of being safer, faster or any more secure?
Without this, who cares about it being more feature-full. Needless to say, I exported my bookmarks to Edge.

Last edited:
Every new build that gets released is just a reason for me to do a fresh install. I had the update break certain games so I just hit secure erase and start all over again.

I did a fresh install of it on a tower I recently acquired, fully capable of running Win 10. It's pushing 3 weeks since the install, and I have audio problems. It's a small annoyance, but no matter what I have done to this point I have been unable to resolve it. I'm a bit disappointed, aside from the audio issues I like the OS which is why I've hung in there as long as I have. I have plenty of patience and enjoy problem solving, so I'll give it a little more time, but I have a feeling Linux Cinnamon might be in this machine's near future.
21.gif

The controlled folder access to help mitigate ransomeware is nice. I work in IT so we will see if it actually does anything when the time comes.

I upgraded all of my personal systems already, no issues. I've only seen a few systems fail on updates with 10, most of the time it is because of hardware. If you have a logitech mouse/keyboard, unplug the USB dongle, I have seen it make the updates fail and just loop over and over. No idea why though.

Originally Posted By: AdamZ
The controlled folder access to help mitigate ransomeware is nice. I work in IT so we will see if it actually does anything when the time comes...

Thanks for mentioning this feature - I didn't see it (it's buried pretty deep) when it came out, but if it's not turned on, it really should be.

All of my really important files are on Dropbox encrypted with Boxcryptor. My Dropbox account has file history turned on, so even if the files are corrupted, I can just revert to an earlier version. I also do a weekly Veeam backup on a removable 4TB drive and I have a second continuous backup on Azure using Cloudberry. My annual archive is in Glacial storage on AWS.

Am I paranoid? Maybe. But I got hacked twice in 2015/16 and that was enough for me.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Every new build that gets released is just a reason for me to do a fresh install. I had the update break certain games so I just hit secure erase and start all over again.

I do the same, doesn't matter if it's my Windows or Linux machine. I can get it done and setup in about 30 minutes.

I thought it was just me..

not wanting to turn this into a hate microsoft/join linux fest..

I had issues where:
It started downloading while I was playing CS:GO FPS.. lagged me out and frustrated me..
(you cant quit early or you get a playing ban)

Then I was playing it again the next day and it decides to start "preparing for update"
pegging my samsung NVME 950 pro (2GB/SEC) drive at 80-100% useage.. and lagging me again.

In that game hundredths of a second is the difference between getting fragged or killing someone

At no point did it ask me to let it do any of this.. or postpone it to another time.

Later that day it finally pops up the "ready to update" in the corner.

I did the shutdown and update option and went to bed.

Next morning I started it up to get the weather.. and it still had 15min to install.

It then pops up it has another update.. which took another 30-40min total to install(and 4 reboots).

It also keeps installing flashplayer that I dont want on my system as an update.

it installed some Drivers with SVLOADSENSE that were crashing
(I dont use the built in sound have an asus xonar board)

Finally it reset the installation date on all my programs to 11/15/17

What a cluster, I'm not against updates but being forcefed and preupdating without asking is total hogwash.

All that being said I'm happier with firefox 57 update than all the new windows features.

This is all on an intel i7-6700k with 16GB ram and an extremely fast SSD boot drive.

I am getting to the point where I too will start reinstalling the OS to do updates.

I think if you tell it you have metered internet you can avoid being surprised when it downloads 20GB or however much for these updates in the background.
It had my 120mbit/sec connection pegged for a significantly long time... when I can download over 500Mbyte a min.

Originally Posted By: Rand
...This is all on an intel i7-6700k with 16GB ram and an extremely fast SSD boot drive.

I am getting to the point where I too will start reinstalling the OS to do updates.

I think if you tell it you have metered internet you can avoid being surprised when it downloads 20GB or however much for these updates in the background.
It had my 120mbit/sec connection pegged for a significantly long time... when I can download over 500Mbyte a min.

Wow. That must be enormously frustrating. Is there a hardware issue there somewhere? I built my own computers for decades, and there were always nagging problems with something - the last one just didn't quite get along with USB3, for instance.

Last January I bought a Lenovo P40 workstation with "certification", which means it's guaranteed to work with Windows and Windows apps. It was a revelation. It's been flawless and the term "it just works" applies. And it's no slouch either - 6-core Xeon, 80GB RAM, Quadro display adapter and I treated myself to a Benq 32" 4K monitor.

I also have a fast internet connection - 150mbps up/down on fibre. Nothing bogs even when downloading a big file from a fast server.

For the first time in years of using high-end hardware, I just don't think about the machine. It "just works".

Last edited:
No problems with any of the three machines that I have updated. One newer and 2 older machines.

It updated fine eventually.. just the invis. background stuff haunting me.

I'd rather have a popup that says "start this update now"

Then I can go make dinner or something else... instead of the ninja preupdates while I'm actually using the computer.

The only hardware issue was it installing generic drivers for my motherboard sound.. which I dont use.

If I hadnt been playing counterstrike I probably wouldnt have noticed the preupdating.. but in a game where .2seconds gets you dead it was very noticeable.

geforce 970 video card w/ 165hz gsync monitor.

The HTPC (I3 laptop) updated fine.

These seasonal updates are more like installing/upgrading to a NEW OS.
Pretty sure you could have called the last few windows 11,12,13

Originally Posted By: jaj
Originally Posted By: AdamZ
The controlled folder access to help mitigate ransomeware is nice. I work in IT so we will see if it actually does anything when the time comes...

Thanks for mentioning this feature - I didn't see it (it's buried pretty deep) when it came out, but if it's not turned on, it really should be.

All of my really important files are on Dropbox encrypted with Boxcryptor. My Dropbox account has file history turned on, so even if the files are corrupted, I can just revert to an earlier version. I also do a weekly Veeam backup on a removable 4TB drive and I have a second continuous backup on Azure using Cloudberry. My annual archive is in Glacial storage on AWS.

Am I paranoid? Maybe. But I got hacked twice in 2015/16 and that was enough for me.

Not paranoid at all. I had a client get the cryptolocker virus, it got to the server by the time someone had called me. Luckily they have a Datto appliance and I restored the whole thing within an hour.

At home my "server" runs a daily back up to an external drive, and I have a cloud backup as well. I am running a copy of windows SBS.

No problems with the update here on my three computers:

MSI GE62VR Apache Pro: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, 240GB SSD + 500GB SSD.
Lenovo Yoga 700-14: Intel Core i5-6200U, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics, 240GB SSD.
Lenovo ThinkPad T430: Intel Core i5-3320M, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics, 250GB SSD.

No problems with the Fall Update here either. I just did the update two days ago. Edge and the new Defender Antivirus work fine on a plain old Lenovo laptop from Best Buy with 6gb memory and a 1TB hard drive. I do everyday browsing, 99% of use in a Standard User Account with remote access disabled, viewing file extensions enabled and run MBAM Premium along with Defender, no trouble at all. I save all my important files, pictures and MP3's on a flash drive.

Update: Got it installed off of a link rather than thru Windows Update...with Windows Update, it would cycle thru 4 distinct phases or processes starting with 1. Preparing to download followed by 2. downloading then 3. Preparing to install and finally, 4. Installing and this would take hours on end, each and everyone of them and it wasn't rebooting automatically, further complicating the failure rate. Now I did 2 cycles of all 4 for a total of 8 whopping times and 2 cumulative fails. I had to break out a hard 'Uncle Google' session and really scramble to find the correct link to do it off a website versus Windows update. The link only took 1 time-clip of the above but that was it, perhaps cause it already had the files from the previous fails?

I did it mostly because I have to live with Edge and wanted t he repair function. But I use Google Chrome and even FF looks good now and has gotten better?

Cool feature is the gray thing, anyone try this? Turns your taskbar and everything in your browser gray. Could be useful if you are doing a ton of online reading for less distractions.

17. Improved Accessibility – Switch Between Color or Gray
want to see your screen better, there is a keyboard shortcut to change your screen/display to gray. Press Windows key + Control + C

Edit: Anyone know if the Ransom ware stuff needs to be activated and what else needs "Enabling" if anything at all?

Last edited:
Edit: Anyone know if the Ransom ware stuff needs to be activated and what else needs "Enabling" if anything at all?

Controlled Folder Access/Ransomware protection is turned off by default. Sign in to Windows as an admin and you can easily enable it and set up any whitelisted folders or programs and make any other changes you may need. PUP is also turned off by default. There is a lot of tweaking info and good information in this thread, the good stuff starts about page 57. Check out posts #1379 and 1384.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/...56#post-2718952

Speaking of Windows Defender, I can't seem to get the Windows Defender Service to run Automatically. I had Mcafee AV and uninstalled it thru windows 10 and with the uninstaller utility. I've run the Repair but do I need to do an inplace reinstall thru Advanced Boot Options? Couldn't figure out which Function key upon reboot to hit to get into the repair function. anyway, good rabbit hole to get the security up and running as that seems to be the them of this "service pack" or new Win10 version.

Getting Win10 on an older Macbook has been a PITA. The UEFI boot OS installation causes the drivers to crash resulting in a boot loop. Only way to force Win10 MBR boot and installation is to burn the win10 iso image to a disk so the boot drive selector can detect the MBR and UEFI install options so MBR install can be selected manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back