Recommendations for 2017 VW GTI S 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. My son bought a new GTI a few months ago and I’m the maintenance guy at home so I’m preparing for a first oil change. I apologize if this question is an old one but being new on this forum I was unable to find it using the search tool.

1. 2017 VW GTI S 2.0T 6spd
2. Manual states synthetic 5W-30 or 5W-40 VW 502.00, 503.00 or 504.00 it does leave open an option to use another climate suitable viscosity if need be as long as it meets the stated VW requirements. They recommend Castrol.
3. live in NJ. Hot summers, cold winters.
4. Car is driven like I drove my S2000 I’m guessing. quickly.
5. Daily drive is about 60 miles RT. Highway/county road mix. Lots of lights. Often traffic.
6. New car with about 2500 miles.
M1 European Formula 0W-40 says on back VW 502.00, 505.00 approved also A3/B3, A3/B4

I’ve looked locally and am having difficulty finding an oil with the two stated viscosities meeting any VW 50x.xx requirement. Here’s what I’ve found thus far:

Castrol Edge Titanium European formula also 0W-40 A3/B4 says it meets VW 502.00/505.00

I’d like to use a very good oil and also not risk warrantee issues. Would one of these 0W-40 oils be a good choice at least for the winter? If not, please advise with recommendations. Thanks. John C

The viscosity isn't that important as you allude to. Meeting the required VW is the important thing along with checking the level regularly. And of course changing it on time.

I'd like to ditto the two posts above. Both Mobil and Castrol 0W-40s are first class oils.

I may have noticed a mild change in Edge however...

It is in a new bottle, made in Belgium, and according to the PDS now only has an HTHS of 3.5.

The old bottle (made in Germany) had an HTHS of 3.8.

Unless I'm mistaken.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
The M1 or the Castrol 0w-40 are excellent options

Why not Valvoline 5W-40 ?

People are always leaving Valvoline out of everything.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
The M1 or the Castrol 0w-40 are excellent options

Why not Valvoline 5W-40 ?

People are always leaving Valvoline out of everything.
frown.gif

Does it come in 5qt jugs for as little as Edge or M1?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

It is in a new bottle, made in Belgium, and according to the PDS now only has an HTHS of 3.5.

Is there a new PDS? Can you post a link?

I am only finding the old one from 2014 which only states 3.5, but that is just the ACEA minimum, not the actual HTHS.

Castrol, Shell (Pennzoil), Total are Europe’s biggies and they have been working with the prominent car companies there. Mobil is another. You may want to stay within that group for your choices. You can buy Total oil at the KIA dealerships.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go with one of the 0W-40 choices and do some reading on the forum to better understand all the details. Four cars here, all different requirements and drivers.

Castrol or M1 0W-40. You won’t find a better oil for the price. Well, IMO, you won’t find a better oil period, for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back