iPhone 6 help needed - won't charge or power on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an iPhone 6, work-issued phone, not personal.

I do not live near an Apple Store, the nearest one is at least four hours away in another state.

The phone was doing something odd the last three days or so. The battery charge level never dropped below 100%. Whether plugged in and charging, or in use for two hours, it remained at 100%. Many times I knew it could not be 100% anymore because I had been using the device for a while...yet it still said 100%.

Last night I left the phone on the charger all night. I woke up today and it appeared normal and the charge read 100%. I logged in to the phone and the screen immediately went black and the center of the screen showed an icon with the battery symbol with just a tiny red line in it, presumably indicating the battery being nearly dead. I plugged it in and that made no difference. I took it off of the charger plug and immediately a symbol appeared at the bottom of the screen showing a charging cable, as if it is reminding me to plug it in and charge it. That power cord symbol appears below the battery with red line icon.

I then tried multiple charging cords and USB sockets, some new, some old, as well as plugging into a computer, and the phone just keeps showing the battery icon in the middle of a black screen. Per instructions I found online, I tried charging it for a half hour at a time with each charger setup, but to no avail.

I read more online and gave the phone's charger port a very thorough cleaning, both with nonconductive tools and compressed air. No change.

OK, so it seems there is a reset procedure or two for this phone. I wasn't sure which one to try as it seemed some people online said to hold down the home button and the side/lock button simultaneously and wait 10 seconds, while others said the "lower volume" button and the side button. I tried both, I tried holding the buttons down for 10 seconds, 30 seconds, and 1 minute, but nothing is changing. I tried it while connected to a charger and while not connected. All I see is the black display with the battery/red line icon in the middle of the screen. And if I unplug it, the cord plug type icon below that one.

I also tried heating up the phone gently on a warm plate, as several people online reported success by heating the battery, but nothing new has developed.

I had been using an aftermarket but approved charger. The phone is now sitting and attempting to charge on a co-worker's factory original charger. The display still looks the same but I am hoping that will change!

Any ideas on what else I can do?

Last edited:
A work-issued phone. I think your first step is to contact your work. Your battery may be dead. I wouldn’t do anything that might affect your phone and then have your work blame you for the problem.

I think you might have a shorted battery but here is some stuff to try.

Press and hold the button on the front along with the power button until you see the Apple Logo (Takes a while).

If that doesn't work plug it into your computer using the USB cable and try opening iTunes. While in iTunes try unplugging the usb and plugging it in rapidly a few times leaving it in the last time.

If that doesn't work Apple Store is the only fix.

Last edited:
Having repaired/recovered a few iPhones, it sounds like the battery failed internally. You have done the limit you can w/o opening it up. It was not opened up for a new screen or anything like that recently? Correct?

Unlike a laptop or some devices, these will not operate on an external power source if the internal battery is not a-ok.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Having repaired/recovered a few iPhones, it sounds like the battery failed internally. You have done the limit you can w/o opening it up. It was not opened up for a new screen or anything like that recently? Correct?

Unlike a laptop or some devices, these will not operate on an external power source if the internal battery is not a-ok.

Correct, no new screen nor any type of other work has been performed.

Is opening it up something I can do myself? I am knowledgeable about electronics to an extent, more hardware than software.

I wouldn't recommend it. The finger print sensors and screen digitizers are a nightmare. I would highly recommend if it does need repair to take it to Apple. (If your work is ok with that)

I had the exact same thing happen to a refurbished iPhone 4S that I keep as a backup phone. The battery was bad, it was swelling, starting to bulge the case. I replaced the battery and everything is fine now

You've already tried a hard reset (Home + power for 10 sec), and short of connecting it to a computer and doing an iTunes wipe and restoration, that's all that can be done by the user.

When sudden shutdowns occur with the battery meter indicating at least a partial charge, it usually means the battery is toast.

It's a piece of work equipment, so let them handle it.

Let work deal with it.

If not, I’ve changed the battery on an iPhone 6. Not hard at all. The only challenge is getting the old battery detached from the adhesive holding it into the body. Other than that it’s just removing screws, tiny ones. There’s dozens upon dozens of guides online.

Sounds like a bad battery-I don't know if you have anybody who works on phones in your area, but that's who I would use if my iPhone 6 died, the local Apple Store is useless, they just want to sell you another refurbed or new phone. Your work should definitely make the decision-it's THEIR money (& phone)!

As a side note, I upgraded my iPhone 6 to IOS 11, and that turned to be a mistake. It really struggled under that version, and Apple won't allow me to downgrade - the window expired.

So, if you get it resurrected, don't upgrade if you can avoid it.

BTW, I replaced my battery in June at a franchise called "uBreakiFix" . They seemed to know what they're doing.

You must live at an extremity of VT if 4hrs away down some side roads. Manchester NH would be my guess as closest location. I live in coastal NH and Montreal is 4.5 hrs away by way of RT89.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back