Question About Fried Eggs vs. Hard Boiled ...

Hey, I've been eating hard boiled eggs x 2 or 3 with breakfast each a.m. before leaving for work. Other stuff with them but none of that has recently changed. Been frying them the past week or so mainly because 1. haven't felt like futzing with boiling up a batch, and 2. Nice change from boiled eggs. I use an olive oil based non-stick spray and a teflon pan, I use minimal spray and then rub it in w/ a paper towel so no excess non-stick spray.

I've noticed a definite energy boost since switching to frying the eggs instead of eating them cold hard boiled out of fridge.

Is there any reason fried eggs would digest more efficiently or something about cold hard boiled that my body doesn't break them down all the way?

Maybe the olive oil in the spray is helping a bit. I remember reading that recently how using some olive oil, not the spray is a good way to cook up eggs for some health benefits. I had some hard boiled eggs the other day and had the toughest time removing the shell. Not sure I'll do that again any time soon. What a pain!

You eating drinking same thing with it as with the hard boiled such as fruit or carbs coffee juice??

Having worked in the nutritional supplement industry for years I would say it's possibly a placebo effect. But, maybe the more direct contact with the heat source causes the proteins in the eggs to denature more which would possibly make them more digestible. Just a wild stab there.

Get rid of the spray and just use olive oil in the pan. Maybe you just prefer a warm, better tasting breakfast. Hard boiled eggs are bland/disgusting to most folks, but we still eat them because we know they are a good source of protein.

Eggs should be cooked as little as possible to get the full nutritional value. Scrambled is the worst way to eat eggs for example, soft boiled or poached is best.

If fried cook them in generous amount of grass fed butter like Kerry Gold and leave the yolks runny. The olive oil spray is probably made with low grade olive oil and even good olive will oxidize at high temperatures.

Here is a good egg article:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/11/joseph-mercola/eat-egg-whites/

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I put Franks redhot sauce on my eggs...

Yeah so do I, too bland otherwise and cayenne pepper is a healthy spice as well.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I put Franks redhot sauce on my eggs...

Yeah so do I, too bland
Just not eating the right eggs.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Maybe the olive oil in the spray is helping a bit. I remember reading that recently how using some olive oil, not the spray is a good way to cook up eggs for some health benefits. I had some hard boiled eggs the other day and had the toughest time removing the shell. Not sure I'll do that again any time soon. What a pain!

My tip for that:

Boil water first
Once boiling take eggs from fridge and put in boiling water right away
After boiling for 10 -15 mins drain water out of pan
Fill pan with a bit of water and lots of ice cubes to quickly chill the eggs. Peel them 10 mins later. They should be alot easier to peel.

Also i heard that fresher eggs are worse for hard boiling..so maybe hard boil eggs closer to expiration date

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

My tip for that:

Boil water first
Once boiling take eggs from fridge and put in boiling water right away
After boiling for 10 -15 mins drain water out of pan
Fill pan with a bit of water and lots of ice cubes to quickly chill the eggs. Peel them 10 mins later. They should be alot easier to peel.

Also i heard that fresher eggs are worse for hard boiling..so maybe hard boil eggs closer to expiration date

I may have found a "better" tip. Maybe...We are having much greater success peeling "Cage Free" eggs. Mind you I don't care how a chicken is housed. But I do like boiled eggs that peel easily. We are on our 4th dozen as we eat 4/day and we have only had 1 difficult to peel boiled egg. Yeah, those "Cage Free" eggs cost more but to my wife and I, they are worth it. And their yolk is golden orange not pale yellow. With regular eggs I finally got so irritated I went back to scrambling/frying.

Boil eggs 3 minutes, turn burner off and let sit covered for 10 minutes. No grey ring around the yoke this way.

I took this question to the wife. She is a registered dietitian and two years into a PhD in nutrition. According to her, there is absolutely no difference in energy from a boiled egg or a fried egg. The only difference would be the calories added from the oil, which would be very little if you're not using too much. She eats both depending on what mood she's in. I'm not particularly fond of eggs and can't stomach them boiled (unless they're pickled).

My personal opinion is you're getting an increase in adrenaline because you're frying the eggs like a man and not boiling them. The only thing that would add to this effect is frying them in cast iron instead of Teflon.
lol.gif

Fried eggs taste better than hard boiled eggs, which makes you happier after eating it that's why you think you have more energy.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Fried eggs taste better than hard boiled eggs, which makes you happier after eating it that's why you think you have more energy.

In other words, placebo effect?

When cooking in a pan those eggs do pick up some of the oil...hence taste and texture. I do them both ways too.

In either case I add garlic and onions, apple cider vinegar, italian spices, tumeric, a bit of avocado and/or raw red pepper....they come out very tasty, creamy, with a kick. Even if I had to run quick I'd at least mix the hard boiled eggs with a bit of ACV, humus, or avocado to give it a better taste.

Back