Ned help with obscure part - Ford ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My trusty old 1988 Big Bronco was running poorly and would not go over the local hills very well. So before I pushed it out the door, I decided to try some things. Local indy shop is pretty good and they tried to find the issue ...

Just off idle, it would miss and surge. Above about 1/8th throttle it would run OK. So all the time you are in traffic, just nudging the throttle to keep rolling it was acting bad, sometimes dying. We did the usual sensors and I finally said, it has to be the ECU (or ECM if you'd rather).

So I got a rebuilt from Cardone Ind and installed it. OK, very short high idle cold. But as you drive it around and it adjusts, the engine came back to life. Runs much better. Almost 100%
smile.gif

Then it just would not start. OK, ECU is going back and another is en route. Another cardone. But if that does not work, I'll need suggestions for a good one ...

I will need to re-install the kick panel at some point. And the plastic two-headed blind push pins are toast. So is the center big-head plastic panel pin. I can't for the life of me find the part numbers for these. Anyone know?

The cataloging for those Broncos is really bad. N802900S is the part number for the most common door panel clips on Ford trucks of that vintage. My cataloging does not even list kick panels for a Bronco.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The cataloging for those Broncos is really bad. N802900S is the part number for the most common door panel clips on Ford trucks of that vintage. My cataloging does not even list kick panels for a Bronco.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My past list does not show kick panels either. That's why I was picking you'alls brains
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Got pictures of the clips?

I left the bad ones with the shop hoping they could find some. They came through this afternoon with NOS Ford clips. Can't read the part number off the old bag, but they look right
smile.gif

Now onto the kick panel center pin which is tan and bigger - maybe an inch across ...

New (rebuilt) ECU went in today. Needed my wife's help to get the unit and the body gasket through the firewall. But, once we figured that out, was all good. Started right up and runs better than it has for maybe 15 years
smile.gif

Still looking for that kick panel center push pin/clip ...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back