Suggestions welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
(TL;DR: A good co worker wants to borrow a mint set of rims in the winter. What do I do?)

I have a co worker with the same generation Jeep as me. Older fellow who I genuinely like. We typically talk cooking, beer, politics, cars etc. on a weekly basis. I have a set of mint 2007 Wrangler rims on ~10 year old tires that are currently taking up space in the garage.

My buddy co worker comes to me last week saying how he'd like to get his rims refinished. I say that's awesome seeing how he's been wanting them redone since I met him. He then asked if he could borrow my rims. Pretty sure he saw the "no way!!!" look on my face because he said it was only a suggestion. I was out at 11 that day and hadn't talked to him anymore about it.

I run into him Friday and ask when he plans on getting the job done. Against my better judgment, I said I'd prefer sooner rather than later as I would rather these rims not see salt. I also said how I'd rather him not wheel his Jeep and scuff them all up. I stressed how mint the rims were. He understood. I then suggested jack stands as he has 2 other cars as well as a classic car. He said he thought about it, but said he could drive said classic car if he had to. "Ummm okay" I thought. Perhaps he doesn't have 2 non classic cars as I originally thought?

One car guy to the next, I would rather him not drive said classic car in our nasty midwest weather. Snow is in the upcoming forecast. Honestly, I don't mind him using the tires, but he needs to get the lead out of his rear and get something set up. I wouldn't mind him using what's on my Jeep currently, but she's laid up in the garage with some minor PM repairs underway. Too much of a pain to get the tires off and "spares" on IMO.

What say you all? Nothing has been said since so I am somewhat feeling I should let lying dogs lay.. The other part of me wants to ask tomorrow (1 week later) what he wants to do.

Happy upcoming weekend folks. Thanks for reading and offering suggestions.

Last edited:
No borrowing.

Sell him the rims.

Or, if you're feeling generous, give him the rims.

Or tell him no.

Your choice, but they have zero chance of coming back in the same condition. Don't set yourself up to be used....

Think how you will react if he destroys those rims. If you are OK with that then give it to him and forget about it. If it's a problem then don't.

If you let him borrow your rims you may never get them back.
smile.gif

J/k, but my guess would be it would take several weeks to return them. Esp if he's going to refinish them himself. If a friend needs something then yes within reason. If it's a want, then maybe let them take care of it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
If you let him borrow your rims you may never get them back.
smile.gif

J/k, but my guess would be it would take several weeks to return them. Esp if he's going to refinish them himself. If a friend needs something then yes within reason. If it's a want, then maybe let them take care of it.

I was thinking just before Christmas best case scenario.

I'm going to say a "rim" is the outer perimeter of a wheel. I'm also going say the term "rim" is a ghetto term used by gangsters because they think the word "wheel" is not cool enough to say.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm going to say a "rim" is the outer perimeter of a wheel. I'm also going say the term "rim" is a ghetto term that gangsters use because they think the word "wheel" is not cool enough to say.

Yes Merk.

I. Am. Gangster.

I wouldn't bring it up till he asks and if he asks, say you found a crack or a hole in one of the tires since they're 10 years old.

Never a lender or borrower be when it comes to people, friends or not.

Since it really sounds like you do not want to loan him the wheels, my advice would be don’t.

If he really has “buddy” status, I would simply tell him that they are really nice wheels that aren’t winter wheels (whatever the truth is), if he’s just a co worker, “no” should suffice.

Whether I would loan him the wheels in your situation would be highly variable based on the particulars... But if I did not want to loan them to the person, I wouldn’t and if he was a friend I’d be straight up with him about why.

Sounds like you want to keep them mint, loaning them out won't do that. Tell him you are saving the wheels for another jeep or project, or for when you sell or trade the jeep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
No borrowing.

Sell him the rims.

Or, if you're feeling generous, give him the rims.

Or tell him no.

Your choice, but they have zero chance of coming back in the same condition. Don't set yourself up to be used....

This. You dont borrow rims out. Sell them to him. If they are taking up space and ur not using them, make a few bucks and get them out of your space. It will feel good to free up ur space and if he gets them for a deal, you both walk away happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back