WWII M1 30 cal carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtQzEpmwGw

This video has a lot of interesting history on the M1 carbine...and I SO want one! My local gunsmith knows a guy who might have one for sale. I'm not interested in the reproduction Inland or Auto ordnance models. Has anyone here ever fired or owned an original M1 30 cal?

Last edited:
My uncle owned one and had it customized to fire a "necked down" version of its ammo.

As I recall it was a .22 Orlusky. Some guy on Long Island came up with the idea.

I imagine the benefit was a lighter round and/or a new barrel for an old gun.

The cartridges never fed right. Leave it original if you ever get one (or pick a custom caliber which works).

Why anyone would do that (neck down a .30 for "sporterization" is beyond me. Waste of time.

In 1974 I qualified with the M1 carbine at Hanscom Field, Mass. Very light, very little recoil, and accurate at 100 yds. (the only range I shot it at). Because the bullet is fairly low velocity it should be easy to find one with a good bore. A few years later I qualified with a M16 that was pretty much a smoothbore. Target looked like a shotgun pattern.

Why would you want to buy a reproduction when for not much difference you could buy the real thing that would much likely gain more value? My son in-law has one nearly looks new. I hand loaded a few hundred rounds for him last year while I was in Texas on a visit. Neat little guns. I had never tore one down before and we got it taken down cleaned and back together with a little help from Utube.

My dad (r.i.p.) was 75th Div 289th Infantry regiment during WWII. Was issued an M1 carbine. Said the first thing he was told was ditch it for an M1 Garand 30-06 1st opportunity you get. Said it was not very effective. He ended up getting Garand after they were diverted into the Ardennes (BB) Christmas 1944. I've not looked it up to confirm but remember he said the M1 carbine was intended strictly as a paratrooper rifle on account of light weight plus lighter weight ammo, but his outfit which was a specialized unit got them too. Mines platoon, job was to lay anti-tank mines ahead of Axis armored advances. They had a towed 57mm anti-tank gun that was largely ineffective against the Panzers. I don't recall him ever saying they encountered a Tiger tank but the 57mm would have been as a popcorn kernel against a Tiger anyhow so just as well. The AT gun was effective against half tracks which is what they encountered more of, usually Waffen SS mechanized infantry scouts going out ahead of an armored advance. Anyhow, dad didn't care for the carbine much. Doesn't mean it was a bad rifle, just not ideal for his unit's mission.

"roses is red violets is blue, the 75th took Ickern too!!"

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Why would you want to buy a reproduction when for not much difference you could buy the real thing that would much likely gain more value? My son in-law has one nearly looks new. I hand loaded a few hundred rounds for him last year while I was in Texas on a visit. Neat little guns. I had never tore one down before and we got it taken down cleaned and back together with a little help from Utube.
I stated in my OP that I was NOT interested in the reproduction M1.
smile.gif

I have never shot an original but I own an 1970’s production. It’s great. I’d love an original but before I got a carbine I want an original M1903. That’s the definition of a the perfect firearm it’s beautiful.

Nice weapon, I recall having one near my bedpost in the 80's, a 15 and a 30 magazine duck taped butt to butt. lots of surplus available then for under 75 bucks; then I shot my friends father's M1 Garand 30-06. That was a beast and I wouldn't want to carry it for long hikes at over 10 lbs.

I have two originals--a Rockola and a USPS. I also have a reproduction model. Years ago, I had an M1A1 (Paratrooper model with folding stock) and sold it. They are a blast to shoot and I scooped thousands of once fired brass years ago too. I reload so they are cheap to shoot, but I do not shoot my originals any longer (those go to the kids one day). The reproduction model (which is a parts gun and new receiver) shoots well. Though I know you said that you do not want a repro--you should consider one to shoot and grab an original to "keep".

I have a Plainfield repop and they are incredibly light and soft shooting guns. I can see why they were such a popular "truck carbine" in the days before the AR became ubiquitous.

I have one, it's a cool little gun.

With today's ammo, it's 2000 FPS, 950+ ft lb energy (at the muzzle) , and roughly 50 inches of drop at 300 yards.

Last edited:
Nice shooting gun. I've shot a WW II IBM. Low recoil. Accurate at short range.

Stick with GI magazines. A lot of the newer magazines have issues, or so the owner told me...

If you want one, a real GI one, then I would suggest that you get it soon, they used to be cheap, but as the CMP ran out, they've become pricey. Used to be you could get one for a few hundred, but now they're all $1,000 and up. More for the truly collectible ones.

My grandpa had an M2 that he traded a well trained field trial beagle for sometime in the '50s. The men would take it out in the orchard and shoot a few mags of full auto every once in a while, I shot it one time in my young teens. I have all of grandpa's guns but that one, when he died his son-in-law destroyed it because it was illegal.
mad.gif
All you had to do was switch parts and turn it into an M1 but he didn't know that. Butthead.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOtQzEpmwGw

This video has a lot of interesting history on the M1 carbine...and I SO want one! My local gunsmith knows a guy who might have one for sale. I'm not interested in the reproduction Inland or Auto ordnance models. Has anyone here ever fired or owned an original M1 30 cal?

In last 15 years I've collected a considerable number of GI carbines. Shot a lot in my backyard range. Most were purchased from CMP in GA and some from individuals. Over the years, as I've got older, I've sold off most, including two paratroop models. Down to just two now.. a well worn Winchester and an especially nice IBM. Parts are readily available and there's almost nothing that can't be easily repaired. Hardest part to come by are original barrels, so make sure the barrel is measured and not worn out. Your gunsmith should have a measuring tool; if not use a Garand bullet to stick in bore...if it goes way down, the bore is well worn. If the parts are all correct for that manufacturer, expect to pay $800-1200. If the stock is in excellent condition, perhaps with a cartouche, that adds to the value. But if its in good condition, it matters little if the parts are "correct" as far as being a good shooter is concerned. Do your homework, or if you can rely on your gunsmith, go for it. If you need a particular small part, I have a small supply.

I bought an Auto Ordnance M1 carbine when I was single & younger, added a 30 round metal clip and put the 15 round nylon one that came with the gun in storage. Sold it a little over 10 years ago. It was a handy bachelor by-the-bed piece and not too expensive to go either target shooting or plinking with ammo from S. Korea at that time.

A great alternative to trying to train a bunch of Americans to use a sidearm, when mostly rural America males had some form if long gun experience. I also have a Garand which I would prefer in a firefight with distance involved but wouldn't look forward to lugging around everywhere. If I were in similar shoes I'd prefer a Thompson or Grease Gun SMG plus sidearm but understand one doesn't always get to pick & choose.

My dad in the USAAC had a choice of Thompson SMG or .45 ACP Colt sidearm (not both). He took the sidearm even though he was a terrible pistol shot with it as it was easiest to keep clean and didn't get in his way either working on the ground or on bombing missions. He never had to actually make use of it. The guns he fired in combat were the waist and tail gun position .50 BMG on B24's.

Last edited:
I have 3 M1 Carbines. All of them were given to me from my father who collected WW1 and WW2 firearms, 2 Inlands and a Saginaw Steering Gear. The M1 Carbine was the first gun that I carried to the field hunting deer with my dad. I was to young to legally hunt but my dad thought it was important that I have my own gun while I sat with him in the woods. A great memory that will always stay with me.

Pictured is one of the Inlands.

I have found that the Achilles heal of the M1 Carbine is proper lubrication and magazines. They can be very finicky with magazines.

The CMP Carbine forum is the go-to site for carbine info. http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6 Lots of good info on sorting out the issues. I'm not disagreeing with BobsArmory, but the carbine did not have a reputation of being finicky. Remember it's 70 something years old and sticky ejectors, extractors etc are really a product of 70 year old lubricant residue. The bolt really does need to be torn down for proper cleaning.

I've owned as many as 5 and currently have 3. Fun rifle, can't think of anything better to move kids up from a 22LR. If you shoot one you will want to own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back