HP laptop issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
HP is sending an empty box to ship this back in, but I would prefer not to.

Problem - Within a minute of booting, fan starts running at high speed and never slows down, sounds like a jet taking off. I've run W10 and Linux Mint on this machine, currently W10. Could this be an OS issue or is it a hardware/BIOS issue? BIOS is most recent version.

It's a Probook 640 G2

vumtn44.jpg

Probably fan motor or bearing. Fans are cheap and easy to change if you can get to it easily. Look on youtube for a tutorial.

Try using a vacuum attachment to suck dust out of the fan assembly from the bottom. I had an HP Pavilion dv9009us that started having similar issues including running hot. The HP fan design tends to force dust and dirt inside like a centrifuge where it builds up. I vacuumed it out fixing the issue. I too should have sent it in but needed my laptop for college classes and couldn't wait 6-8 weeks for repair.

The computer is only 8 months old and clean as a whistle. The fan doesn't make any noise, it just runs at high speed almost as if it can't sense the temperature.

Symptom is flagged before the OS is running, in POST. So, either a hardware or sensor issue.

I believe they program their fans to spin to 100% if they can't get feedback from temp sensors. To be safe.

i have seen a fan mounting standoff break off and allow the heatsink to lift.
full scream fans within seconds followed by power off.
yours could simply be a clogged heatsink.blow it out with canned/compressed air first.
rarely it is a leaked heatpipe.

Took the SSD out and replaced it with the original platter to send it in for repair, and now the BIOS error has cleared and it's working correctly.
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back