Going back to 3000 miles???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I currently own a 2013 Hyundai ix35 with the 1.6 GDi engine (same as the veloster). Until now I was changing the oil every 4500 miles as the dealer recommends with Fully synthetic Castrol edge 5w30. I have also tried Mobil 1 esp formula. Now I am comsidering to shorten my oci to maybe 3000-3500 miles because at almost 5000 miles the oil looks very dark and has a strong smell of gasoline in it. The car is driven 50/50 city/hwy. Some short trips during the week but also 100 mile trips on the weekend. At the end of the oci the engine starts to comsume some oil. Should I go 3000 miles or stay where I am? I need your advice.
Thank you!

Perform a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) on the oil. It is the only way to truly know the health of it. I have had oil samples that reeked of gasoline and expected the fuel dilution levels to be high and they were normal. Senses can be misleading--analysis tests are data driven. There are several UOA labs you can use--Blackstone is a site sponsor, but there is also Polaris and Wearcheck to name a couple of others.

Being dark by the end of the OCI isn't something to worry about - dark by halfway through, with less than 20K miles total? Maybe, depends on the engine and driving environment.

On a DI engine I wouldn't pass judgement on shortening my OCI due to fuel until I did a UOA.

Polaris uses gas chromatography to measure fuel % in the oil which is considered the more accurate way to test for that. While Blackstone is a site sponsor, for your Hyundai I think the Polaris test will be better.

i would suggest pulling a sample and having a lab run a UOA before you spend bucks on oil that is still serviceable
As for the gasoline smell the UOA can confirm fuel dilution
then you can find any problems and fix them

Last edited:
After 10k miles on the Camry I noticed the oil darken a bit. Could just be the reported less efficient oem filter causing the oil to darken. But did a UOA which came back with excellent results. Only 5 ppm Iron reading.

Originally Posted By: Costas00
... because at almost 5000 miles the oil looks very dark and has a strong smell of gasoline in it.

Try not to get fooled - - your eyes and nose are not as good as a real oil analysis.

The oil in my Journey smells like Gasoline at 10,000km (6,000 miles) and it's quite dark but the UOA's say it's just fine. A UOA is the only way to really tell.

My Hyundai in my signature had 300,000 miles (535,000km) when it died and was using no oil. I had to change its oil at a very low interval because it was really hard on the oil and yet it never got dark or smelled of gasoline. I found out through a UOA.
wink.gif

i change the oil and filter in both of my trucks every 3,000 because of stop and go traffic and hauling heavy loads in dusty, dirty, and extreme environments in severe heat or cold.
my little car just being a commuter gets the oil changed every 8,000 weather it needs it or not.

I change oil in my 2001 Sport Trac regardless of mileage, maybe an overkill
but it keeps my engine clean.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Isn't 3.5k Hyundai's severe service interval?

No need to send in an oil sample in my opinion.

I'm leaning with this. I'd do every 3K.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Perform a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) on the oil. It is the only way to truly know the health of it. I have had oil samples that reeked of gasoline and expected the fuel dilution levels to be high and they were normal. Senses can be misleading--analysis tests are data driven. There are several UOA labs you can use--Blackstone is a site sponsor, but there is also Polaris and Wearcheck to name a couple of others.

OP, listen to this gentleman. He speaks from experience and is giving you some very good advice.

Why are fuel dumping engines flooding the market? The power & efficiency gains seem to be negated by the more frequent oci’s and wasted fuel in the oil.

The major focus of engine design/tuning, now, is to get the engine to pass the CAFE and EPA/CARB/SCAQMD tests. The engines are very specifically tuned for the cycles in these tests. What happens in the real world doesn't really matter. These engine guys are under the gun. What ever you think about the ethics of what VW did, it was done because they were trying to pass these tests.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother sampling. Just change it. My oil in my truck stinks by spring. It idles a lot more in winter. I just dump it when it warms up in the spring. Changing it "early" your only out a few bucks. Who cares.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Why are fuel dumping engines flooding the market? The power & efficiency gains seem to be negated by the more frequent oci’s and wasted fuel in the oil.

High compression and direct injection are the root causes. Yes automakers are trying to pass emissions. They're also trying to prevent LSPI. Running rich reduces NOx emissions by keeping combustion temps lower and reduces the chance of LSPI. Rich mixtures are more resistant to knock.

The catalytic converters take care of the excess unburned hydrocarbons.

Read up on DI. It seems that fuel can actually puddle on top of the piston. It's no wonder it gets past the rings and into the oil

The engine in my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 was supposed to be one of the worst engines when it came to fuel dilution. However, my UOAs showed that that M1 5W-30 was good for up to 10,000 miles. When I sold it at 158,000 miles it was still running great. The 2er gets 10k changes of BMW/Shell 0W-30 and that dpesn't worry me one bit.

I own a 2012 veloster with the same engine. At around 50,000 miles ive had to add oil to top it off and keep it on the full mark. Whats wierd is it never used a drop up until 50,000 miles and what even more strange is after about 2000 miles on the oil it slows down with consumption. Its usually the other way around. I always used pp 5w30 and a fram ultra since new. A few times i used castrol edge but 90 percent pp. Also about at 60,000 miles i noticed alot of shiny mettalic stuff on my dip stick so i changed the oil about 5 times in 1000 miles to get that better. The dealer tore the motor down and said everything was good. I wasnt happy with hyundai because i showed them the filters and they always said hmm yeah thats not supposed to look like that but i got no where with them. They told me to run it and if it blows they will put a new motor in. Well the mettalic stuff did stop showing up so i guess its okay. Also i got a bunch of codes a few thousand miles ago and it turns out my cat converter was bad. So they fixed that and so far so good. But im wondering if the cat went went bad because of the fact that the car is consuming oil now. Im using roughly a qt to a qt and a half in 1000 miles. Ive had carbon issues with this engine. I use top tier all the time and tectron every oil change. I also had hyundai do a bg engine cleaning service but that never really helped. Ive done my own crc intake valve cleaning three times and that seemed to help. Ive had nothing but problems with this car. Engine issues. Tranny issues. Electrical issues. Parts breaking . clear coat peeling off now. Worst car i ever owned. Thank god i baught the extended warranty. Ive used it 100 times already. Ps i always changed my oil on or before 3,750 miles.

Last edited:
Hyundai said they never seen a cleaner engine in there life. When i showed them the fliters with all that shiny stuff floating in it , the manager said how often do you change your oil. I told them i always changed it every 3,750 miles or sooner. They didnt believe me until they tore it down. A few days later the manager called me and said they believed me now. He was amazed how clean the engine was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back