How to use CRC D.I. Intake Valve / Turbo Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah for sure it's good for non GDI engines and even without turbos...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
150 times more concentrated?
'

They mean in comparison to having already been mixed in with the gas in the tank, right?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
This will be perfect for the 05 Matrix! Thanks for the idea.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm going to buy a can next time I need to clean the throttle body in the Journey and compare it to Amsoil Power Foam that I buy now. Just to see for an alternative option. I expect it to work well because other CRC products are excellent.

I just looked at the instructions for the Power Foam. Did you use the entire bottle for the cleaning? Not sure if that's what you're supposed to do or not.

The CRC instructions are a bit more detailed which I like.

Last edited:
I have used the entire bottle on the early D.I. Hyundai Veloster engines that suffer from Valve Gunk in the family. On others just part of the can. No issues either way.

Getting to the throttle body in my car seemed like a bit much, so I tried spraying it past the MAF with the intake box removed as the straw seemed plenty long enough.
There was a right angle bend in the air path just past the MAF and I think that screwed me, as my car ran like absolute garbage after the CRC cleaner until I removed the MAF and cleaned it. I think the spray was reflected some by the bend and ended up splashing on the MAF.
I also suspect that the cleaner pooled up at some point, after my one hour cool down I went up my steep driveway to head out and drive it like I stole it. My car started hesitating near the top and then nearly stalled twice once I hit the street, with a loud sound like marbles being thrown in a coffee can each time...I think I'm pretty like my car didn't get damaged at that point. All I could think was that some cleaner ended up pouring down when I went up the steep incline.
This stuff is probably great if you can get to your throttle body or have a different intake/MAF configuration than mine.

I do intake valve cleaning through a vacuum line with a special tool and cleaners from Subaru now and that has gone a lot better, although there was a bit of a learning curve for me the first time I did it that way, too.

Just used a can for the first time on my 2012 Buick Verano. It has the Ecotec GDI 2.4. With just 34,000 on the clock there was some liquid black carbon on the floor of my garage while I was applying it. After letting it sit for an hour I took it on a long drive. It stumbled and rattled for a second or two then cleared up and did fine.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Just used a can for the first time on my 2012 Buick Verano. It has the Ecotec GDI 2.4. With just 34,000 on the clock there was some liquid black carbon on the floor of my garage while I was applying it. After letting it sit for an hour I took it on a long drive. It stumbled and rattled for a second or two then cleared up and did fine.

Thanks for sharing the experience.
thumbsup2.gif

CRC DI Intake Valve Cleaner vs. Amsol Power Foam ? ... Which is better ?

Last edited:
I've used it once a year for the last two years on her Santa fe. Both times on the drive after siting for an hour there was plenty of clear out coming from the exhaust.

I will say this, do not spray it for long periods like the can says, it will make the car stumble to the point that it will stall during application. I found it better to do 1 second bursts until the can is empty. Usually only takes a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I've used it once a year for the last two years on her Santa fe. Both times on the drive after siting for an hour there was plenty of clear out coming from the exhaust.

I will say this, do not spray it for long periods like the can says, it will make the car stumble to the point that it will stall during application. I found it better to do 1 second bursts until the can is empty. Usually only takes a few minutes.

Cool
thumbsup2.gif

Are you letting the car idle when you do the short bursts? Or revving it to the 2000 rpms like they indicate?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Are you letting the car idle when you do the short bursts? Or revving it to the 2000 rpms like they indicate?

That's even with her sitting inside holding it to 2000. The one second burts will still make it stumble a bit but it wont stall.

I used this stuff recently and it works. This is not a butt dino report, I pulled the intake and sprayed the valves down with the stuff, 2-3 hour soak, and visually inspected them. The grime was nearly gone on the closed valves, and the open ones had a very good reduction. This is before starting the car and letting the stuff shake off from heat and mechanical forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back