scuff marks on new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received 2 new tires from amazon. They definitely weren't treated too well during shipment and/or storage, have many large scuff marks where the topmost smooth surface is scraped off. Does this matter at all? Just wondering if this will lead to faster deterioration of the rubber in the future.

azjeq1m.jpg

fNFViE8.jpg

No, the mold release stuff comes off relatively quickly. Just make sure the tires weren't squeezed or compressed too much, like having a pallet put on them.

Originally Posted By: zeng
I don't see any issue how is its performance compromised ?

You have no idea of knowing if the sidewall enforcement in that tire has been compromised.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I don't see any issue how is its performance compromised ?

You have no idea of knowing if the sidewall enforcement in that tire has been compromised.

Agree, one can't see if the structure beneath the sidewall rubber covering is damaged or compromised, for now.

Hence, request for pictures was made prior.

However, until and unless the sidewall structure (which lies inside) encounters prolonged exposure to the external elements ......
and this has to happen through cracks or penetration through the rubber sidewall coverings (which isn't visible for now if it ever it exists) .......
for a prolonged period of time in units of month ,if not a year.

By then, the pre-conditions for eventual failure of tire structure would have been met.

This stage is yet to come, if it ever comes .... as far as OP's tires is concerned.

From the date code it appears the tires are two years old, fyi. What brand and model tires are they?

At least the first tire appears to be 2 years old. The second tire has the date code missing. Right where the scuff mark is you should see a date code. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
From the date code it appears the tires are two years old, fyi. What brand and model tires are they?

At least the first tire appears to be 2 years old. The second tire has the date code missing. Right where the scuff mark is you should see a date code. Hmmmmm.

They're General Altimax RT43. And yes they're two years old, which is also not good since they'd be going on a car that doesn't see many miles per year, so tread wear isn't an issue. The tread on the old tires is still perfectly good, but they're now 11 years old.

They are at least 2 years old. Notice the brown coloration and date code. The date code is missing on one. They appear to have been mounted before. I’d send those suckers back and get a refund.

The date code isn't missing on the other tire, it's just on the other side of the mold. The DOT code for the plant (the letters) are on both sides of the sidewall, but the date code only is placed on one side. That said, I'd try to ditch the two-year old tires for some fresh ones.

Agree, one can't see if the structure beneath the sidewall rubber covering is damaged or compromised, for now.

However, until and unless the sidewall structure (which lies inside) encounters prolonged exposure to the external elements ......
and this has to happen through cracks or penetration through the rubber sidewall coverings (which isn't visible for now if it ever it exists) .......
for a prolonged period of time in units of month ,if not a year.

By then, the pre-conditions for eventual failure of tire structure would have been met.

This stage is yet to come, if it ever comes .... as far as OP's tires is concerned.

According to that rationale, vehicle tires would be suitable only for admiring in shaded, climate-controlled indoor displays...

...and not actually supporting a vehicle that's driven, strikes potholes, brushes curbs, etc.

Ever seen a slow-motion video of a what happens to a tire during a launch or burnout?

Multitudes of tires are transported every day by the package carriers. They're not given white glove treatment, but then, neither does the act of driving. As rough as the UPS handlers can be, I doubt they can do any more damage to a tire than driving on them would, unless there's a open cut or other wound.

The OP's tires look a little dirty, but that and the production date are the only facts to be gleaned from the photos provided.

From what the OP has shown. We get brand new tires like that all the time. They wash off, and I don't see any evidence supporting they've been mounted. My only problem is the age. 2 years seems a bit steep.

Continental quotes:

Should an age of 2 year old post production form a basis of tire rejection ?

Maybe I’m a little biased against the RT43 tires. I bought a set a couple of years ago for a Hyundai Tucson. Those were the worst tires I had bought in quite some time. 3 of the four were out of round and the tread caps weren’t even on straight. They couldn’t be balanced. They were made in Continental’s Romania plant. So much for Tire Rack’s recommendation. The dealer replaced them with Cooper CS3 Touring. The Cooper were way better tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back