Long life oil filters/change out time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I have read a bit on here about these and I am currently using one in my wife's Impala. Fram Ultra Guard synthetic.

My questions are, I have read where people will leave these on for 2+ oil changes and that got me thinking, why would one leave on the dirty oil filter when doing an oil change, or do you remove it and drain as much of the dirty oil first as you can before you put it back on?

Also, with these types of filters supposedly lasting as long as they do, I assume they clean much better than just an average run of the mill filter, but if they do, then will they not clog and/or reduce oil flow/pressure eventually as well?

I purchased my Fram just last week and it was based on me thinking this is likely a great filter based on what I read here and on the box. When I purchased it, I had, and still don't, have any intentions of leaving it on for 2+ oil changes even though I'll likely not be anywhere near the mileage this filter is good for.
I simply purchased it thinking/knowing this is a good/great filter and I want the best for our new car.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have read where someone said why are you spending that kind of money on a great filter if you are changing it out so soon and not reaping it's full benefits? Like I mentioned, my thinking is, why purchase an inferior filter, one that is not going to filter as well, if others are out there, albeit, more expensive, that filter much better?

These are just questions and maybe there are reasonable/proven explanations so go easy on me as I just likely/simply don't understand the rational behind these?

Well from what I’ve read it’s that some filters last longer but filter the same as a cheaper filter. For instance a Fram TG is a great filter for 5k OCI. Just like synthetic oil, it last longer but there are high quality conventional oils that will perform great for a shorter time.

I use long life Amsoil filters rated for 15,000 miles (EAK) because their EAO (25,000 mile) filter is not made for my vehicle. I leave it on there for 2 oil changes. It cuts the cost of replacing the filter in 1/2 and doesn't make a difference to the engine or my UOA's but does make a difference on my wallet. I have been doing this for over a decade now and have racked up tons and tons of trouble free miles.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I use long life Amsoil filters rated for 15,000 miles (EAK) because their EAO (25,000 mile) filter is not made for my vehicle. I leave it on there for 2 oil changes. It cuts the cost of replacing the filter in 1/2 and doesn't make a difference to the engine or my UOA's but does make a difference on my wallet. I have been doing this for over a decade now and have racked up tons and tons of trouble free miles.
wink.gif

Amsoil filters likely aren't cheap, but I am curious if they still recommend, with their 25,000 mile oil change interval, "or one year, whichever comes first" on their bottles?
I would assume they would also recommend a filter change as well?

Regardless, if your UOA's are still coming back clean/good, then I don't blame you, but also, and it's just my opinion, for a few extra dollars a year, I still don't see the point of not changing it out? Maybe I am too anal or old school but I think I would cringe knowing my filter is going on year 2 and I just did a oil change with fresh oil.
shocked.gif

I've switched to the Fram Ultras on my Hyundais and currently run they two oil changes to the filter. The Accent goes 15k miles (7500 miles OCI)on the filter, the Genesis Coupe goes about 10k miles (5k mile OCI).

I do not take them off to drain as there is so little oil in them. There is at least a half quart of oil trapped in the engine anyway that never gets drained out completely.

Personally I use the Fram Ultra for two shorter change intervals. My Ridgeline is easy to change the filter, but it only gets driven less than 5,000 miles a year. So I've been using full synthetic with annual oil changes and using the Ultra for two years.

Our M35 is a PITA to change due to 20 bolts on the splash shield that needs to be removed for easy access. The engine likes 4,500 mile oil changes, so with a Fumoto valve that I reach through a small access panel, I leave the filter on for two intervals using a synthetic blend. It saves me time and money.

As usual, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
wink.gif

My current Purolator One costs me roughly .001158 cents a mile on a 6k OCI. I can afford that and treat my motor well.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My current Purolator One costs me roughly .001158 cents a mile on a 6k OCI. I can afford that and treat my motor well.
wink.gif

That's $6.95 for a regular Puro 1. I paid $6 each for my Fram UG's (3 year stash). I change annually at under 8K miles. Maybe if I had a highway commuter car I'd push for 10K-15K range.

And the Puro may not make it to 6K miles without tearing. I won't use a Pure 1 for more than 4K miles.

I used to always drain the filter - I have would rotate them (swap one on that's been draining for months).

Now that my F150 holds 6 quarts, I don't take it off. I drain 5 quarts and fill 5 quarts. The oil still looks new.

Before using a filter for a long time you might want to cut a used one open and see if there is a build up of debris in the bottom of the pleats. If there is noticeable debris in there at 5,000 miles you might not want to go 10,000.

Originally Posted By: irv
I have read a bit on here about these and I am currently using one in my wife's Impala. Fram Ultra Guard synthetic.

My questions are, I have read where people will leave these on for 2+ oil changes and that got me thinking, why would one leave on the dirty oil filter when doing an oil change, or do you remove it and drain as much of the dirty oil first as you can before you put it back on?

Also, with these types of filters supposedly lasting as long as they do, I assume they clean much better than just an average run of the mill filter, but if they do, then will they not clog and/or reduce oil flow/pressure eventually as well?

I purchased my Fram just last week and it was based on me thinking this is likely a great filter based on what I read here and on the box. When I purchased it, I had, and still don't, have any intentions of leaving it on for 2+ oil changes even though I'll likely not be anywhere near the mileage this filter is good for.
I simply purchased it thinking/knowing this is a good/great filter and I want the best for our new car.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have read where someone said why are you spending that kind of money on a great filter if you are changing it out so soon and not reaping it's full benefits? Like I mentioned, my thinking is, why purchase an inferior filter, one that is not going to filter as well, if others are out there, albeit, more expensive, that filter much better?

These are just questions and maybe there are reasonable/proven explanations so go easy on me as I just likely/simply don't understand the rational behind these?

There's some cat on here that has a good phrase about using oil filters more than once for multiple oil changes.
How does it go; One Oil Change, One Oil Filter........or, something close to that. Smart guy.

Originally Posted By: CajunNative

There's some cat on here that has a good phrase about using oil filters more than once for multiple oil changes.
How does it go; One Oil Change, One Oil Filter........or, something close to that. Smart guy.

A Fram Ultra can easily go two oil changes on most vehicles. While his saying is "cute" it's not that smart.

There's some cat on here that has a good phrase about using oil filters more than once for multiple oil changes. How does it go; One Oil Change, One Oil Filter........or, something close to that. Smart guy.

Not sure I'd describe him as being smart. I do think he's funny, entertaining, amusing etc. Because of that I like him and get a charge out of his posts.

All your six posts sound similar to his. His username is no longer in the User List. I wonder if he re-incarnated himself under a new username with the same location after being banned? Prob not a good idea to reference yourself if that is the case.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
And some save their drained oil to use in the lawn mower.....
28.gif

Or in their old 1971 Chevy C60 that uses oil anyway
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

That has not been my experience, as long as the engine is pretty clean inside.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My current Purolator One costs me roughly .001158 cents a mile on a 6k OCI. ...

That's $6.95 for a regular Puro 1.
Please check your faulty arithmetic before posting.

Well, to actually answer the questions,

Fram (and other filter manufacturers) does not recommend removing the filter to "drain" it. The gaskets are designed for one time use.
There are some that do remove them and re-install them, but again, not recommended.
The amount of oil in the filter is minimal (unless you have like a FL1A sized filter that holds around 3/4 qt, and those motors usually hold 7+ qts), so it really does not make a difference.

The Fram Ultra (and other full synthetic media filters) can last a long time.
Fram has a dual layer media (as do others, but some are single layer) that allows for ultra fine filtering as well as a long life without clogging up.

And yes, IMO, if you buy an Ultra and don't use it for at least 10,000 miles, you are wasting your money.
It is a filter that is designed (and real world use has shown to be accurate) to be used for 20,000 miles.

A Fram ToughGuard will filter just as well, has a silicone ADV, and is a few buck cheaper.
This filter is designed for 10,000 miles, so many would say a waste at a 5,000 mile interval; although I think it is a great choice for a high filtration, shorter interval filter.

Or if you are only doing 5,000 mile changes, a regular orange can will suffice.

Why spend more on something that is the "best" when a less expensive product will do the exact same thing?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
There's some cat on here that has a good phrase about using oil filters more than once for multiple oil changes. How does it go; One Oil Change, One Oil Filter........or, something close to that. Smart guy.

Not sure I'd describe him as being smart. I do think he's funny, entertaining, amusing etc. Because of that I like him and get a charge out of his posts.

All your six posts sound similar to his. His username is no longer in the User List. I wonder if he re-incarnated himself under a new username with the same location after being banned? Prob not a good idea to reference yourself if that is the case.
lol.gif

Mr. Silver, whatever are you talking about? I just happen to stumble upon this site a few months ago and have been lurking the whole time. This "BANNED" member you are referring to....what did he do wrong? This seems like a very civil site and everyone seems to get along. Unless a member was upset with the banned member and told the ADMIN about him. Am I to think this banned member will return? I think I will friend him. You seem to like him. Was he disliked here?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

lol.gif

+1 SatinSilver...

This expression is a dead give away:
"That's what I would call one good looking filter. Those PUROLATOR filters are made tough!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
"

He has been fishing all day!!!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back