Testing Gumout One-N-Done with ASTM 5500 Protocol

wwillson

Staff member
Hello BITOG,

It’s the Gumout team here and we wanted to give you an update on something cool we did this summer.

In June, we invited some of the top automotive writers and bloggers (including a BITOG administrator wwillson) to Transportation Research Center (TRC) in Ohio for a two-day interactive experience with direct visibility to the testing that goes into Gumout products. We wanted to show them not just the results of using Gumout products, but the rigorous protocol and standards by which the testing is completed. You see, Gumout follows detailed testing standards from ASTM, an international standards organization that develops and publishes testing standards for a wide range of industries, such as major auto companies, and the Nation’s leading chemical companies.

During this visit to TRC, we tested the effectiveness of Gumout One-N-Done Complete Fuel System Cleaner on a 2015 Hyundai Sonata with roughly 80,000 miles on it. Over the course of two days, we showed our guests the state of the engine before Gumout was added to the fuel and after the car had been driven on a full-tank of fuel.

We know our products are effective, but it was cool to see the surprise of our guests at just how effective it is. And while we couldn’t invite you to this event, we wanted to share the before and after photos with you, so you could see for yourself. You can also read more about the experience at TRC here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/testing-efficacy-gumout-one-n-done-astm-5500/

We know there are choices on what additive product you can use. We’re interested in hearing from you on what information you’d like to know about fuel additives and how you go about selecting your products. Specifically

• What types of information do you look for to understand the effectiveness of a product?
  • How important are things like testimonials and before/after photos as part of your decision making process in evaluating a product? Why are they important (or unimportant)?
  • If there were unlimited resources at your disposal, what other tests might you be interested in seeing done to measure the effectiveness of a Gumout or competitive products?
  • Do you have any questions for us about our standardized tests or our interactive experience at TRC?

As always, thanks so much for your time and feedback – we love hearing your informed perspectives.

Thanks!

The Gumout Team

Unfortunately this missed the Free after rebate deal that was available this summer.
Would have definitely tried it.

At $20 a bottle is it better than 3 bottles of techron concentrate that are 6.99 this week at AAP(20oz size)?

Its even pricier than redline and other more "boutique" products.

Who knows... but sounds like it was a very interesting demonstration.

I wonder why the ratio used would not be disclosed? How do I know the amount used in the test was a bottles worth that we would buy at our local retailer?

Give us free samples, I will provide a review!

How does it compare to your old products meant for every oil change?

The results are good but what real world improvement does it give me? What will I experience? Less deposits is good but if Im not looking at the pistons how do i know its improving anything?

Last edited:
Rolla07,

Take a close look at the injector nozzles before and after. Several holes were plugged in the before photos and all holes were clear in the after photos. 400 miles and 1 bottle of One-N-Done does this? Saw it with my own eyes, I'm in.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
I wonder why the ratio used would not be disclosed? How do I know the amount used in the test was a bottles worth that we would buy at our local retailer?

On the way to the track, the bus stopped at a local auto parts store, where one of the other participants picked a random bottle off the shelf. That's the bottle we put in the car.

Looks like it needs to be three or four times and done. It got a good start to cleanng but wasnt finished.

Some pretty impressive results in the pics shown on that page.. I'd say that it definitely produced some clear results.

.. It's really a shame, though, that the test wasn't performed on a car with even more miles. 80,000 miles is fine, sure.. but I'd be really interested in seeing what kind of results the product would produce on a car with 2x or 3x times that mileage.

For what it's worth, if this test gets a follow-up, I'll be happy to volunteer my car as the 'test vehicle'
wink.gif

So what does the test have to do with ASTM 5500 ?

https://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/HISTORICAL/D5500-98R14.htm

The vehicle wasn't as specced...
The test preparation wasn't as specced...
The test protocol wasn't as specced...

wwilson, how did the test team explain to you the ASTM 5500 protocol, and how the test that they showed was demonstrative of the intake valve deposits obtained in their version ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PEA fan, and have always been, but adding an "ASTM" test method in the fluff line makes it sound like something that it clearly isn't...

"roughly" 80,000 miles on a single vehicle enables a "83,456.7 miles on the odometer" statement

Which is much more precise than the "roughly ASTM 5500, give or take most of the protocol"

I would like to see this test done several time by multiple vehicles and by an independent group.
This is a big business and you never see actual tests done by independent groups other than some YouTube video by a guy who might have a boroscope. Ohhh, look at all that white smoke...
33.gif

This looks good but I tend to be a sceptic.
I believe that this was an honest test and the results are what is shown.
Just want to see this repeated.

One question to everyone here.
Do you notice that the carbon that is left in some of those pictures are glassy black? Any ideas why that is the case?

ASTM 5500
"Standard Test Method for Vehicle Evaluation of Unleaded Automotive Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel for Intake Valve Deposit Formation"

Where are the pics of the backs of intake valves?
Simple Fuel injector cleaners have been around forever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wwillson
Rolla07,

Take a close look at the injector nozzles before and after. Several holes were plugged in the before photos and all holes were clear in the after photos. 400 miles and 1 bottle of One-N-Done does this? Saw it with my own eyes, I'm in.

I agree they have less buildup after but what is the improvement seen afterwards by someone who isnt aware or doesnt care of the pictures? Does this 2015 suffer from any issues? Did the gas mileage increase 5% afterwards? I guess what im getting at is why would I pay 20$ for this? It reduces carbon buildup on injectors and allows the injectors to perform better but if it translates to no big difference to the average person (who has minimal car knowledge) then Gumout will be challenged to sell it. If Gumout could say...increases gas mileage then I believe the average person would pay attention to it. I understand it depends on the application but still.

I have used Gumout products before as well as Techron and Crc guaranteed to pass. Id like to see how they perform in comparison. Maybe gumout should show comparison pics of their own products from good to best to show why its worth spending more for their premium product. If I use their standard product instead, how much less effective is it? This is touted as a once a year product..but id be willing to bet the pics indicate that the sonata tested could benefit from a dose for a few tanks in a row if not more to remove most/all of the buildup, would that be safe? If those were the pics of my cars internals id want it to be spotless, the improvement it made would not be good enough for me. How about using the product for 5 tanks in a row? Id love to see those results on this Sonata. Can Gumout make a 100% PEA product for 50$, or would that be unsafe?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So what does the test have to do with ASTM 5500 ?

https://www.astm.org/DATABASE.CART/HISTORICAL/D5500-98R14.htm

The vehicle wasn't as specced...
The test preparation wasn't as specced...
The test protocol wasn't as specced...

From the Gumout Team:

The testing procedure outlined in ASTM D5500 was used as the basis for measuring field vehicle clean-up performance when using Gumout One-N-Done. This procedure is used as a guideline as there are currently no standardized conditions for testing aftermarket fuel products. The D5500 conditions outline a standardized driving cycle (section 4.3) and controlled method of deposit measurement (section 9.5 through 10.3; intake valves, combustion chamber deposits, and injector flows). All of these test attributes included in D5500 are important to aftermarket complete fuel system cleaners, like One-N-Done. Most importantly to this work, this manner of testing allows any user to repeat the work described in the test report with the expectation of achieving similar results.

It is noteworthy to point out that officially ASTM D5500 calls for the use of a 1985 BMW 318i driven over 10,000 miles to evaluate PFI intake valve deposit build-up in a downstream gasoline application (fuel pump additive level). To maintain market relevance, a 2015 Hyundai Sonata (GDI engine) was used for testing. The car was not handpicked but rented from a local dealer based on having the vehicle on the lot. The drive cycle did not need to run for 10,000 miles as the product is a one tank clean-up, hence, driven for only one tank of gasoline (full tank until empty indicator light was illuminated). Adherence to D5500 was run as much as possible, but this is focused to the drive cycle and deposit measurement aspects. Many of the 29 pages of D5500 cover over engine disassembly/rebuild, parts cleaning, and prepping to maintain repeatable 10,000 mi driving.

wwilson, how did the test team explain to you the ASTM 5500 protocol, and how the test that they showed was demonstrative of the intake valve deposits obtained in their version ?

From the Gumout Team:

As stated above the test not only collects intake valve deposit weights but also describes the measurement of combustion chamber deposits (piston top and cylinder head) under section 9.5 through 10.3. The method also describes the measurement of injector flows (section 8.5) to ensure operation. Since the test vehicle (2015 Hyundai Sonata) utilizes a GDI engine the intake valve deposits are not affected by in-tank fuel additives. The data is still collected and reported in the test report.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a PEA fan, and have always been, but adding an "ASTM" test method in the fluff line makes it sound like something that it clearly isn't...

From the Gumout Team:

The reason the ASTM D5500 test method was chosen is the lack of a true product specification aftermarket fuels space. Unlike an engine oil, driveline fluid or even downstream gasoline (Top TierTM program), aftermarket fuels do not have a specification to standardize product testing. Those seeking to formally evaluate their products’ performance have no option to obtain an industry approval. As such, utilizing test procedures closest to the end use is desired. ASTM D5500 is used for downstream gasoline testing and is the closest test available with an on-road vehicle for aftermarket fuels testing (i.e. Gumout One-N-Done).

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
I would like to see this test done several time by multiple vehicles and by an independent group.
This is a big business and you never see actual tests done by independent groups other than some YouTube video by a guy who might have a boroscope. Ohhh, look at all that white smoke...
33.gif

This looks good but I tend to be a sceptic.
I believe that this was an honest test and the results are what is shown.
Just want to see this repeated.

One question to everyone here.
Do you notice that the carbon that is left in some of those pictures are glassy black? Any ideas why that is the case?

It was conducted by an independent group, you must missed the part about Ohio Transportation Research Center and the bottle of additive was purchased at a local auto parts store.

While they did not test 100% to the ASTM method, O-TRC probably tested the 400 miles in accordance to the specified test cycle, instead of 10,000 miles, which would have required 25 bottles of the One & Done. But who buys 25 bottles to run it for each tank to 10,000 miles. I would predict the BITOG B.S. Flag. The ASTM test also requires a brand new engine, which wasn't the point of the demonstration test.

Back