Do you run cheap, mid grade or premium filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my life I could have cared less and used whatever the oil change place used. Now that I do my own I almost always use premium filters.

I use a Fram Ultra because it is the best bang for the buck. At 9 dollars, and used for two OCIs, I don't think there's a filter out there with it's efficiency ratings at $4.50 per OCI.

For me price is king. Whatever I find that is cheap and it doesn't tear. I am stocked up for years with Fram Tough Guard and Ultras, also some Bosch Distance Plus, all bought on sale. I have used SuperTech filters with good results. I will never pay full price for premium filters.

Let's see, I had a Honda Accord with almost 400k that the engine still ran good, but it failed emissions and looked like [censored] so I retired it, ran SuperTech and Fram orange cans on it.

The other one is a Dodge Sprinter, I use Fram, Mann and Hengst cartridge filters based on the price I can buy them at, currently at 774k miles, I sent a few oil samples to Blackstone and the results were better than their average. Van still running strong with no engine issues to date.

For short oil changes (2K-4K) where I know I'm not doubling up with the filter, I'd go with a less expensive filter ($2-$3).

Otherwise I go with a Fram UG (or equivalent) for multiple OCI's.

I have always bought the more expensive ones, like the mobil 1, or ultras. I figure most everyone will spend more in one day at the snack or soda machine at work than they would save on going 3 dollars cheaper on a filter that gets changed twice a year. My last purchases were the napa platinum for my truck and wifes daily driver buick. Have to wait till spring to see how they held up.

Some here would say I use an "inefficient" oil filter because I use Denso products. They have worked for me for many years and don't ruminate on filter efficiency, micron rating,number of pleats, et.al.

Not sure it matters. I mean, tons of taxis made huge miles on cheap conventional and frequent changes with the cheapest oil & filters.

Right now I buy Denso's as I can order a box of them for each vehicle and it's $4 per filter. Cheap, meets OEM requirements. What more could I want? Odds are I'll get rid of the vehicle before the engine is worn out.

One vehicle gets an oil change every other year, one gets at least 3 changes, and the last one is running at 5 changes per year. Starting to border on where cost matters. If I go back to 5k OCI's it would.

I'm going with Fram Ultra's now and running them for 2 OCIs going up to 24-28k km. We do mostly hwy miles so I think I'm on track to having the motor still outlasting the rest of the car.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Most of my life I could have cared less and used whatever the oil change place used. Now that I do my own I almost always use premium filters.

I've gone the opposite route. I'm now tuned-in to having a little more oil flow and the Fram EG provides that. Hoping to see their silicone ADBV soon. By April 1st anyways. That's when I'll be removing the current Fram Ultra, which I feel is too restrictive for my 2004 GM.

I ran the AC Delco for years. But nowadays, AC Delco seems to have cheapened the product. I've tried all the mid-tier ones and like the Wix best. I'll try the WIX economy filter someday. As long as their isn't any spring inside that filter. GM models (my 2004 era) have their own bypass system built-in. I don't need filters with the spring bypass.

Last edited:
Ran extra guards for years but the last few have been exclusively ultras. Cheaper than the other "premium" filters and I run them in my Tb past 20,000km.

If they filter at 99% + at 20 microns and are on sale they are premium filters. Personally for my purpose right now with the current prices available the Fram Tough Guard is pretty hard to beat. My filter size is $6.64 at Walmart so now I'm waiting on a sale.

Last edited:
My stash is mostly $1-$2/qt oil and i have a small stash of oil filters that i paid $.75 to $1.50 each..so I am using premium oil and cheap filters for the most part. I dont have any tear-o-lators and I have seen enough cut open filters to run 5000-7500 miles with confidence in what i have.

If I could somehow not snatch up the cheap filters and $1/qt oil I would probably go with a Fram Ultra but it just never works out that way for me.

For quick intervals - 5000 miles in 3 months or so, I go cheap. NAPA ProSelect or SuperTech.

For normal intervals - 5000 miles in 6 months or so, I go OEM, which I assume is interpreted as "mid-grade".

With the truck with the Jasper engine, it will be changed every 3 months or 3000 miles, whichever happens first, by the mechanic who installed it. He uses a cheap CarQuest Red filter. Unfortunately, my experience is that Jasper engines are fragile, and must be babied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back