Run engine without filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say if a guy has an engine with a cartridge filter and he's complaining about ticking on a cold startup, can he pull the filter and run the engine without it momentarily to see if the filter is causing the ticking ?

I would say only if the filter does not have the round thing sticking out. That pushes on (I think) a check valve for oil flow. Now you could take a used filter and cut off the media and insert the left over cage and try it.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: JC1
Wouldn't that cause a big mess?

I wouldn't try this on my own vehicle.

Cartridge filters have a housing the cartridge goes in so it wouldn't cause a mess because it seals with or without a filter in there.
thumbsup2.gif

5th-gen-chevy-camaro-v6-oil-filter-housing-gasket_normal.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Remember that any contaminants in the bottom of the housing will not get filtered out. I am sure some fast lube has left a filter out.

More likely it doesn’t get changed because they can’t find the thing under the engine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Say if a guy has an engine with a cartridge filter and he's complaining about ticking on a cold startup, can he pull the filter and run the engine without it momentarily to see if the filter is causing the ticking ?
That's a moot point as you will need a filter.
Just try another brand.
I like the reasoning to an extent though.
No high efficiency media and you should be OK.
Maybe you have engine assy form-a-gasket permatex clogging up the pickup screen?

If that's far fetched, You could try QSUD 10w30 non dexos. Smoothest stuff on the planet other than the old QS HM redbottle if your ride is a 30 grader.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Wouldn't that cause a big mess?

I wouldn't try this on my own vehicle.

At least not in your own driveway or garage.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Just think of all the purolators.

Even with a small tear,
they are still filtering well over 90% of the rest of the oil flow.

I personally would not do it. A friend of mine has a VW Passat with I believe a 1.8 or 2.0 turbo engine. His turbo failed. He replaced the turbo and did an oil change and found that there was no oil filter. Someone changed the oil and didn't put a filter in. I would have at least put the old filter in instead of no filter. Coincidence? I don't think so. While a tear of the filter here and there wont do too much damage, no filter at all is no good in my book.

Air cooled Volkswagens and Fiat twin cylinder engines just had a strainer on the pickup on many models. If your engine is in great shape perhaps it won't need a filter.
But do you want to take the risk?. Try swapping the filter for a premium Fram or other high quality make. If the filter has an anti drain back valve you won't have any oil pressure at all until the filter body fills up.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Yes, he could, without causing any major problem (assuming no grit leftover in the housing), at least on the kind of cartridges I've seen. However, that exercise would be a waste of time and oil, because the cartridge can't cause ticking, unless it's plugged, and then he'd have worse problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back