Castrol going after Mobil 1 AP in new ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a radio ad from Castrol promoting Edge EP today. “Why spend $50 for 5 quarts of annual oil, when you can get Castrol Edge EP with titanium for a lot less? It’s good for 15,000 miles.”

But the AP is good for 20,000 miles, not 15,000 like the EP!

I was in the US last month. The AP was $39 at Walmart. Still too rich for my blood......

I only do 6-8k mi/year (lots of short trips), I'm tempted to try and take the SynPower 0w20 I'm currently running to a year...which would be until mid August...

hopefully i can fight the itch that long...

Originally Posted By: sir1900
But the AP is good for 20,000 miles, not 15,000 like the EP!

I was in the US last month. The AP was $39 at Walmart. Still too rich for my blood......

With one small caveat or one year. The average driver drives his car 15K a year.

Last edited:
People get stuck on things.Myself? I don't like Castrol or Pennzoil.Mobile 1 was tested on new GM products by engineers.My father helped them and Cadillac Northstar engines showed very little if any wear. A Big Cadillac dealer had only a few engine claims in ten years.None were because of the oil and none were mechanical problems. OIl is cheap.Change it twice a year.

Well Pennzoil/Shell got Ferrari,BMW and Maserati approval and all three of them are superior to Cadillac so Ill stick with Sopus. Mobil 1 is a good oil,but its not any better than most other OTC synthetics.

While in Europe the standard OCI on A3/B4 or even C3 full synthetic oil is 20,000 miles or 2 years.
Why not just use M1 0W40 or Edge 0W30 / 0W40 ? they are all long-life Euro oils.

The whole thing from both sides is a gimmick.

They bank on buyers not taking it to the full 15k/20k and just running it 1 year. This can be done with any oil.. they just don't want you to know this. You need an annual oil for this job.

The new cars that do have their OCI's creep up above 10k do just fine on any regular oil. Think about all the Chrysler Pentastar engines out there filled with dealer conventional bulk running to their OLM's full oil usage...

As we all know, an oil change this long should be backed by a UOA on anything else. I am betting the general public with older stuff are still too scared to go above 3k. They don't have to check/ top off their engines this way either.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The whole thing from both sides is a gimmick.

They bank on buyers not taking it to the full 15k/20k and just running it 1 year. This can be done with any oil.. they just don't want you to know this. You need an annual oil for this job.

The new cars that do have their OCI's creep up above 10k do just fine on any regular oil. Think about all the Chrysler Pentastar engines out there filled with dealer conventional bulk running to their OLM's full oil usage...

As we all know, an oil change this long should be backed by a UOA on anything else. I am betting the general public with older stuff are still too scared to go above 3k. They don't have to check/ top off their engines this way either.

Well said.

Don't you guys all think that AP and EP is the same M1 oil with a different label and marketing strategy??

Originally Posted By: ron17571
People get stuck on things.Myself? I don't like Castrol or Pennzoil.Mobile 1 was tested on new GM products by engineers.My father helped them and Cadillac Northstar engines showed very little if any wear. A Big Cadillac dealer had only a few engine claims in ten years.None were because of the oil and none were mechanical problems. OIl is cheap.Change it twice a year.

Actually, the 3.6 GM engines were big oil burners.

.... Oil is cheap. Change it twice a year.

Actually, with the recent AAP QS clearances....oil was either free...or you were paid to buy it (after rebates). I guess you CAN change it twice per year. Well, maybe not the Mobil annual AP. I think I've seen that as low as $29.99 at my Walmart.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Don't you guys all think that AP and EP is the same M1 oil with a different label and marketing strategy??

Since you see it that way ~ what other oil brands do you think do that?

The way I see it is these companies know the first one to buy a new oil will be a competitor …

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
.... Oil is cheap. Change it twice a year.

Actually, with the recent AAP QS clearances....oil was either free...or you were paid to buy it (after rebates). I guess you CAN change it twice per year. Well, maybe not the Mobil annual AP. I think I've seen that as low as $29.99 at my Walmart.
grin.gif

Seen it at $30 plus they were offering a $10 Walmart gift card with it. That lasted a week. Now at my local store the stuff on the shelf is back to $49 and change a bottle and the stock doesn't seem to be dwindling. They totally missed the market. This can only help Mobil competitors.

I will continue to buy Mobil one on Rollback if the price is right but it even appears that Walmart is trying to work that up to $25 and change ain't going to happen to many other brands for $20 and change or lower. GTX full synthetic for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back