2006 Pontiac GTO Key Fobs are DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG Friends,

My ‘06 Pontiac GTO Key fobs have both stopped working. The 2032 battery that powers the fob has died on both units and it is soldered and can’t be replaced. Does anyone know where a I can buy a new key fob or two?

I have found the instructions online on how to program a new fob but need a fob first. Any assistance or help would be helpful and appreciated.

Best,
George

Can't be replaced?

Anything can be replaced! How much is is soldered on? Can you stick a screwdriver in there and pry it out?

On those GTOs there is a little metal tab that makes a contact with the car and charges the key while you drive. That and the absolutely terrible range are the only things I know about GTO keys from knowing an owner of one.

Given that they are commodores, there's online stuff on Commodore forums on how to do it.

Failing that, paypal me the money and I'll get some for you.

Supercheap Auto Key Fobs.

They can reprogramme them in the carpark at my local, you might need the tool as well to talk to the BCM.

The 2032 battery (aka CR2032) is one of the most common button batteries out there. The can be purchased in generic bulk for like 10 cents each. If it is really a 2032, try to unsolder it, and a replacement can be purchased at any almost any store that carries batteries.

if the car does charge the fob it is NOT a cr2032.
could be a lir2032 or other rechargeable li cell.
since i have not seen one of these fobs yet its hard to advise other than do not try a cr2032.
BANG!
and do not solder to a lir2032.add a holder if there is room or get a cell with tabs.

I had an '04 GTO prior to my G8. I don't recall much about the FOB's, other than that I do not believe they were user servicable, other than programming to the security system. So I don't think you can change the rechargeable battery unless you really know what you are doing.

All of the Holden imports are now old cars, but ( what used to be ) the Pontiac dealer where you bought the car can probably get you one.

Or just order one from Australia as Shannow has suggested, and cut out the middle man.

Do you need a working key to be able to reprogram a new one? I know my GTO came with a do not lose sheet, that gave the security codes for the ignition key, radio, security system, etc.

It is lableled "IMPORTANT SECURITY INFORMATION: across the top.

I think the G8 is a little more sophisticated, and the information is stored somewhere in the car.

Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone.

@jkasch for the how to solder on my own, make me nervous doing it myself but maybe I can phone a friend to help me out. How long did it take to complete the repair for each of the units?

I was ultimately hoping I could buy a blank fob and then program it to my car per the instructions I found online. This is really frustrating.

Win said:
Do you need a working key to be able to reprogram a new one? I know my GTO came with a do not lose sheet, that gave the security codes for the ignition key, radio, security system, etc.

No you do not, based on the instructions sent by @Shannow.

It probably took about twenty minutes each. It takes minimal soldering skills, but if you’ve never soldered anything small, a friend might be a good idea.

A blank fob contains no electronics. So you’d still have to move the guts and blade into the new shell. Dealers were charging like $300 to cut and program a complete new fob assembly. (I wonder if many dealers are still able to do it.)

Btw, mine would not operate the door locks until I had started the car once with the new battery. I guess it needs to re-establish it’s connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back