Waxy substance in coolant out of new bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A member at a subaru message board posted this picture, said the following:

"Hey I replaced my upper coolant hose and added Zerex coolant today. When pouring the coolant in the filter funnel I noticed a wax collecting. (see attached pic) Anyone else noticed this before?"

I'm just wondering what you guys think about this?

I had the same thing in my bottles of Zerex Asian formula, even after shaking them well. I called Valvoline technical support and talked to a gentleman there. He said, basically, don't worry about it, it is a part of the additive package that has fallen out of suspension and it will dissolve back into the antifreeze with the heat of the engine once it is poured into the radiator and you run your car.
I still doubted, I collected some of waxy sediment, put it into a ceramic container, and heated it with our hairdryer. Sure enough, it dissolved and turned liquid.

I can understand the concern about using it, I had the same reaction, I didn't want to use it. Hence, my call to the technical support, I thought something might be wrong with the product. The technical guy reassured me it was fine, and part of the additive package.

I have used various other coolants in different vehicles and our tractors, Peak Global, Final Charge, Toyota Pink, Zerex conventional green formula, and have not seen anything like this with them. It does get your attention!

Last edited:
This also happened to me a year ago and 2 bottles had this stuff in it but dissolved after a heat cycle. It was concerning, but I figured it was ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back