Gave Blood Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Its been 6 years since I last gave. I had cancer 5+ years ago. I got the green light to give. I will be 72 in Feb!

I really feel good, physically and mentally. I don't know why I feel physically better when I give, but I do.

I had to give up because they butcher my veins so badly. Last time, after finally getting the blood to flow, it stopped just short of a full unit. They had to throw it away. Never again. Too bad because I’m AB-.

Last edited:
I wish I could give but can't because of a thyroid condition. Before then I use to give all the time. I felt weak right after but then felt a boost of energy some hours later.
thumbsup2.gif

I gave blood while a senior in high school and learned I have A- blood. We have a co-worker at work that has O- blood and gets a call while at work every so often wanting him ASAP to give blood.

I also feel better during and after blood donation. Can't understand why but it doesn't matter.I wish i could donate more than once a year, my blood iron supply drops and I have found that I have to wait for about 12 months after some experimenting with check ups and donations.

Originally Posted By: Al
Its been 6 years since I last gave. I had cancer 5+ years ago. I got the green light to give. I will be 72 in Feb!

I really feel good, physically and mentally. I don't know why I feel physically better when I give, but I do.

Your a good man
thumbsup2.gif

Happy to hear your clear of the C word. Awesome
banana2.gif

Jeff

Giving blood is a better way to thin out your blood if needed than taking drugs. In many cases, thinner blood makes for better cardiovascular health as in lower B/P. The studies show that it works but the studies the use drugs get more attention for some reason.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Giving blood is a better way to thin out your blood if needed than taking drugs. In many cases, thinner blood makes for better cardiovascular health as in lower B/P. The studies show that it works but the studies the use drugs get more attention for some reason.

As we get on in life we can all use a little of that 0W blood!

I have O negative so I strive to give as often as it is legally allowed. Sometimes I get a hangover like feeling for the rest of the day but certainly all better by the next day. I find the double red machine is easier on the body than dropping a pint of whole blood. They usually use the machine only for type O.

Originally Posted By: mk378
I have O negative so I strive to give as often as it is legally allowed. Sometimes I get a hangover like feeling for the rest of the day but certainly all better by the next day. I find the double red machine is easier on the body than dropping a pint of whole blood. They usually use the machine only for type O.

I think that you're describing apheresis. Yeah, the blood banks like me too, for the same reason.

I have a lot of iron, and have a family history of hypertension. I started giving about 12 years ago, and I felt better afterwards. I kept doing it. They found I was O+, so they call me as soon as I can give. I give double, too. I’m over 5 gallons now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I We have a co-worker at work that has O- blood and gets a call while at work every so often wanting him ASAP to give blood.

My kid is O- and gives blood. We still get calls from the blood drive callers asking for him even though he is away at college and hasn't lived here for over 3 years. Telling them to take his name off the list doesn't help.

I worked with a few guys who had lifetime achievements of donating 25+ gallons of blood, one pint at a time. One guy gave so frequently that they allowed him to donate 2 pints at a time: admittedly he was like 6 foot 4, 230 lbs. I am not sure they allow giving more than 1 pint under any cases these days.

It's been quite a while. I was a fit young guy and a good candidate to give blood back then. I remember that the bloodmobile was staffed by two young women. They would get you in a little room and interview you at length about your sex life.

They seemed happy in their work.

I gave several gallons back when I was healthier.Now bp meds , an asthma inhaler and a bout of fatty liver syndrome disqualify me from donating .(although liver enzymes have been perfect for years)

Just don't give them your phone #! O+ here... they have regular drives at work which makes it easy. The doc has mandated that I give blood due to the med I'm on so it'll be a regular thing now. My dad is 67 and used to donate regularly but I think he finally got tired of it.. towards the end they couldn't anything right. Think he was over 15 gallon, I'll have to ask him next week.

Good for you greg. Looking out for your fellow man. I donated blood for years as our company allowed area blood bank to collect blood on a regular basis. We had very good participation by both management and labor. Wish I could still donate but medicines I take prevent me from donating.

Congrats on being cancer free Al!

25+ ga. cmv-, blood & platelet donor here. Started donating in high school. I retired several years ago. Figured it was time for the younger generations to step up, step in and get stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back