Ford twin scroll turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2017 Escape, 2.0 L Ecoboost. Based on first hand observation and plenty of internet research, I think the answer is "neither" to your question.
Best I can describe is that the exhaust side wheel has 2 distinct air paths, but are sort of connected, so in theory it blends the best of both small turbo and big turbo.
The low-end torque is pretty impressive, but overall performance to me seems the same as our earlier 2004 Saturn Vue 3.6 V6, which I always felt to be very peppy. The Escape will get 30 mpg highway though, which is much better than the Vue's

modp-0906-03-o-twin-scroll-diagram.jpg

We have a 2017 Explorer with the 4 cylinder EcoBoost and I can honestly say it's quicker than our 2005 4.6 V-8 Explorer and gets about 7 mpg better than the 4.6 in most driving circumstances. The power is faster and linear like the V-8, no turbo lag and no sudden jolts in power. It's an all around pleasant drive that will do 85 mph without breaking a sweat and still get 24+ mpg. I'm old fashioned but I have to admit Ford did good with this EcoBoost engine in the Explorer.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back