How old of oil are you comfortable using

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many oil companies say 5 years shelf life. How long are you guys comfortable using modern oil after its been bottled?

KMart had two 5qt jugs of VWB from 2011 for $3 each. The bottles were even turning that yellowish petina color. I bought them and have no qualms using them. SN/GF-4.

3 years on the outside as lng as it wasnt exposed to a hot shed or garage or freezing.

Oil is just too cheap to chance it.

Translation of original post-My stash is way too big and I can't use the oil I bought within 5 years.....

If the car is a 2001. Then 2001 and newer.
If the car is a 2017, with in the last 3 years.
As long as the oil is sealed...

Unlike most others on this forum, I believe what the oil companies say. I always buy fresh oil when it is time for a change. Given what I paid for my vehicles, it just makes good sense to me not to take any chances to maybe save a few pennies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Translation of original post-My stash is way too big and I can't use the oil I bought within 5 years.....

10 jugs of havoline and 66 quarts of nickle quaker state...

Originally Posted By: Saul
I know many oil companies say 5 years shelf life. How long are you guys comfortable using modern oil after its been bottled?

I've got some stuff from the late 90's (API SH? API SJ?) I still use in my older stuff.

I don't think "oil gets old"..... I'd like to see scientific evidence of that.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
If the car is a 2001. Then 2001 and newer.
If the car is a 2017, with in the last 3 years.
As long as the oil is sealed...

I like this philosophy. After all I joined BITOG in 2002 and we thought oil was pretty swell back then.
lol.gif

And my car's an 02, yay!

Originally Posted By: CKN

Then you need to buy a classic vehicle
laugh.gif

...or give it to someone who does own one.

Originally Posted By: Saul

As long as it meets the required spec, there is no time limit for me.

Oldest jugs I have in my stash are 5 quart jugs of M1 AFE I bought in 2012. Currently using it in the Murano. I have two left and will use them whenever the time comes.

It is generally a good practice to shake the bottles before dumping it into the sump. Something I learned to do here on BITOG.

as long as I'm in spec and on a relatively short OCI- On a known piece of gear..

2 Decades in a sealed container.

For any kind of extended OCI I want something in the past decade.

Unlimited time so long as the price was right and the oil meets the API spec for my vehicle. One time I did get PO'd at a Fremont Automotive store in PA after I paid top dollar for Kendall GT-1 20w-50 and later found out it was 6 years old. A Conoco Phillips sales rep arranged for me to exchange it at a dealer in VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back