UCLA players arrested in China.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-basketball-plaschke-20171114-story.html

What say you...?
spankme2.gif

They’re already back home. The President was in China and asked for them to be released. UCLA has suspended them indefinitely.

Pure stupidity and extremely lucky to have gotten off so easily and be back home on US soil now.

Have to wait and see how long the word "indefinitely" means for the suspension from participation. The entire year would not be excessive imo.

Sheesh. The last place I'd want to do that is in a foreign country. Of course, this isn't even an ignorance of the law issue. I don't know of any country I could travel to where they'd ignore shoplifting.

Intervening on the behalf of 3 petty criminals is not a judicious use of American political capital, even if those petty criminals happen to play college basketball. How privileged they are.

They're lucky, very lucky. I wonder if the lesson they learned will be a long lasting lesson or not.

Wonder if they violated the terms of their scholarship? UCLA gives them a 4 year tuition free education and they play basketball full-time. Since they are suspended for stealing, I wonder if they forfeit their scholarship this year? Must be a morals clause in the scholarship.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Wonder if they violated the terms of their scholarship? UCLA gives them a 4 year tuition free education and they play basketball full-time. Since they are suspended for stealing, I wonder if they forfeit their scholarship this year? Must be a morals clause in the scholarship.

I think most 4 year university athletic scholarships are technically "renewed" each and every year. At least that's my understanding. While it's not the norm to have one taken away for minimal reasons (like a coaching change or a player not putting out), the university could do it. The typically reasons for losing a scholarship could be poor behavior like these UCLA players displayed.

They should have gotten the same punishment as if a Chinese citizen stole from that store. Well maybe not if it were 10 years of hard labor. Definitely lose scholarships and do some serious time, like 2,000 hours of community service with signs on their backs of THIEF. Ed

technically it's an allegation as no charges were filed and especially that there was no conviction. So I don't think there will be any ramifications.

If these kids are greedy, they can present themselves as innocent victims of a tyrannic regime and start making money off of sinophobes.

If they had pulled this off in the Middle East, they would have to learn how to shoot baskets with one hand. Now I don’t condone that drastic style of punishment but when you are a guest in a foreign country, minding your P’s and Q’s should be at the top of your list.

They were extremely lucky that President Trump just happened to be over there at the same time. Too bad that not one of these basketball thugs knows how to be thankful and extend thanks to the President and apologize for the whole thing. It’s another sign of entitlement and all about me life kids are brought up in today.

Apologies are just one part of the process. Contrition must happen. The indefinite suspension if indeed it is indefinite is appropriate. Then again, these kids may opt out of UCLA and find another college to play with so as not to ruin any chance of playing with the big boys. The punishment is not a NCAA one, only local to UCLA.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
They’re already back home. The President was in China and asked for them to be released. UCLA has suspended them indefinitely.

You can bet the suspension will not be permanent. Also: “These are good young men who have exercised an inexcusable lapse of judgment and now they have to live with that,” Alford (Coach( said. Yea..right
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They should have let those little brats rot in a Chinese jail!

Yep. They need some quality time in jail.

I was in China last week when this happened but not in Hangzhou. There was a high end mall next to my hotel but I can see that at home. Didn't see anything about it on the news or in the Chinese papers but then I didn't spend a lot of time looking for it. Trump was on the news a lot while I was there.

I have no idea what it means to be a communist country. Other than some hammer and sickles on posters around town, it looks just like a typical city. Lots of business and people rushing to work or home or wherever else they're going. Lots of industry. Of course, the citizens won't tell me the full scoop of what really goes on.

Not being a student of political science but I'd say China is more fascist than communist.

A lot of things that are laws here in the USA are "recommendations" in China. Especially traffic laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back