Easy apartment parking lot oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reveling in my victory as I finished the easiest, cleanest oil change I've ever had in an apartment parking lot.

I've always done my own oil changes, all the way back to when I was 16. Since I've lived in apartments though, I've dreaded doing it because I didn't have the comfort of a garage to do it in. I was exposed to the elements, namely the wind, which always seemed to play a role in me making a mess. Last oil change, however, I installed a Fumoto drain valve with the idea that I could hook up a hose to it and drain it right back into the oil jug. Well, I just finished the first oil change since installing it and I didn't spill a drop.

While it did take a fair bit longer, and I didn't replace the filter (an Ultra with 5,000 miles on it), I can definitely say that this made the process a much more clean and enjoyable experience.

Also, since this is BITOG, the oil that went in was QSUD 5W-20, replacing the QSUD 5W-30 that went in 5k miles ago. Since I didn't replace the filter, I guess the concoction is a 5W-25.
grin.gif

Good work! I imagine a car with a top side filter would make apartment changes easy. Use a fluid extractor, then just pull the filter. I know what you mean though, its tough at apartments. From what I've heard people with home owners associations have it bad also.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's inside diameter of the hose that fits on the Fumoto ?

3/8", I do believe.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Good work! I imagine a car with a top side filter would make apartment changes easy. Use a fluid extractor, then just pull the filter. I know what you mean though, its tough at apartments. From what I've heard people with home owners associations have it bad also.

I have a bottom side filter, but fortunately it is completely vertical. Next oil change, I'll put a gallon sized ziploc bag around the filter and unscrew it inside the bag. Hopefully, it will all drain into the bag and I can just zip it up and take it to the recycling center along with my used oil. All in the name of no messes!
banana2.gif

Yeah! The wind outdoors can blow draining oil all over the place!
I'm used to laying out newspaper under the drain pan to be sure no spills on the driveway!

In the past I'd put a big card board against the side of the car to block the wind!

I guess you slide off the hose when you're done?

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I'm used to laying out newspaper under the drain pan to be sure no spills on the driveway!

In the past I'd put a big card board against the side of the car to block the wind!

Yeah, I moved the hose around to get the air pocket that formed when it was about done draining to move to the top, then slid the hose off and held it up so that it would finish draining into the jug.

It is a 4.23 quart sump, and I drained out a little over 3.5 quarts. I'm not sure what the capacity of the Fram Ultra filter is, however. I figured that it didn't quite get everything, but I keep my intervals short enough that I'm not too concerned about it.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
... Next oil change, I'll put a gallon sized ziploc bag around the filter and unscrew it inside the bag. Hopefully, it will all drain into the bag and I can just zip it up and take it to the recycling center along with my used oil. All in the name of no messes!
banana2.gif

Can I borrow this idea from you?

This was the only thing missing from my stealth nightly garage HOA oil extractor changes....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: JustN89
... Next oil change, I'll put a gallon sized ziploc bag around the filter and unscrew it inside the bag. Hopefully, it will all drain into the bag and I can just zip it up and take it to the recycling center along with my used oil. All in the name of no messes!
banana2.gif

Can I borrow this idea from you?

This was the only thing missing from my stealth nightly garage HOA oil extractor changes....

Haha, well I haven't tried it yet so I can't speak for its effectiveness. It works in theory though!

I also have a vertical oil filter that sits under my engine.
When changing the filter I have an old protein powder container I carefully drop the
used filter into and the remaining drips from the engine also go into the container. After it's finished dripping, I fist out the old filter and toss it into a plastic produce bag and dispose of it at an oil recycling facility.

Reminds me of the days when I was in the Navy changing the oil on my 427 69 Corvette using a tall curb for a ramp on one side. Worked pretty good for lots of undercar work using the terrain as needed. Changed starters, fuel pumps, etc. doing it that way. Got kicked off the base hobby shop because my car was too loud, and had to wing it for awhile.

Last edited:

I lay a piece of cardboard about 4'X 6' under the car and do everything on top of that. It's a bit softer than pavement, keeps my clothes cleaner and it catches the little bits of oil that blow around. Never seems to get too oily either, so there must not be that much oil blowing around.

I use old pizza boxes to put the pan in. After I'm done I wipe it off and into the recycle bin it goes.,,

When I lived at apartments, I changed the oil by first putting a pan inside a garbage bag. This provided a liner for the pan. The drain oil would be poured into the now empty jug. The garbage bag would be inverted and hold all the oily rags and filter for disposal. No messy pan and not a drop on the pavement.

IF the OP shortens that drain hose the process will go faster.

BOTTOM LINE: Whatever works!

Just bought a F-106 for the neighbor's Honda. Installation? At the next OCI this Spring (2018).

Fumoto has an "online sales HQ" in NYC on E. 34th St. Cool building.

I never had so much fun buying a valve.

The Fumoto valve sure makes it easy. My Subaru has the filter on top in front. Everything is easy. No ramps/jack.

My only issue is putting the plastic safety clip back in. I have to do it by feel.

I think I will put the Subaru on ramps and get under and have a look.

Originally Posted By: Kira
IF the OP shortens that drain hose the process will go faster.

BOTTOM LINE: Whatever works!

Just bought a F-106 for the neighbor's Honda. Installation? At the next OCI this Spring (2018).

Fumoto has an "online sales HQ" in NYC on E. 34th St. Cool building.

I never had so much fun buying a valve.

Yeah, I'm going to take quite a few inches out of it. They give you something like 5 feet of hose, so I was just guessing at how much I would need and cut it to that length. I'm going to go ahead and shorten it up for next time.

Been close to 25 years since I lived in an apartment. The on site live in complex manager was a pretty nice lady but she was ardent about no car work being done in the complex. She always slept in on Saturdays so that was always when a couple of us who did our own oil changes would get up early and sneak them in on the sly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back