Saturn Astra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Something happened with my Saturn Astra. The engine began to run unevenly, appeared to vibrate, and the oil consumption increased. Has anyone encountered this problem? What is the reason?

welcome2.gif

What engine is in it and what is the mileage / year of the vehicle.

1.8 liter NA engine possibly made by Daewoo. Timing belts on those have a reputation for snapping/breaking. My friend has one and it starts up loud, not sure if it's a vacuum leak or what.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
What engine is in it and what is the mileage / year of the vehicle.

There was only one generation and one engine in the US, so this is actually one of the very few cars where it doesn't matter! Lol

This is not an issue that can be diagnosed via internet, I'm afraid. You need to do a visual inspection, check for codes, check fuel trims, et cetera in order to even start down the right diagnostic path.

Ethan,

Wasn't sure so that is why I asked to help everyone here help as much as possible.

Now that I know it's a timing belt engine I would have it checked out, could have skipped teeth if it's still running but running with excessive vibration or it could have a wrist-pin / con-rod problem.

Only hands on mechanic inspection is going to help him now. Agreed
cheers3.gif

I had one, loved it. They have known issues with the coil pack. It's all 4 at once and doesn't cost a lot. I would do coil and plugs. This is, of course, if you have misfire codes and a flashing check engine light. Look for P0300, P0301,302,303,304.

I have the Holden version of the Astra, they are all much the same, a Opel designed in Germany, then sent out to the big wide GM world pretty much as the Germans designed them, no significant changes. I also have the 1.8L NA engine.

As GMBoy said above, the have issues with their HT leads / coil packs, I did mine about 1 year ago because it started to run rough. I did the spark plugs at the same time.

Keep on top of the timing belt, every 100,000 miles (or a bit less) from memory.

Fun little cars that handle quite well for what it is.

Hey what oil does your owners manual say to use ?

My Australian OM says 10W-30 or 15W-40 in either A3/B3 or A3/B4, with no mention of API or ILSAC. I'm sure yours says something different even though it's almost the exact same car. OK my steering wheel is on the other side, but apart from that...

Correction to my comment above, the timing belt is due every 90,000 KM or 56,000 miles in my owners manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back