Oil 'detergent market' to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the focus in oil formulating now being combating LSPI, and the discovery that Calcium detergents aggravate LSPI, most syn oils have gone to much lower Ca detergent concentrations in their oil. I'm wondering how much this is going to affect the makers of these detergents...the demand for them is going to drop off a cliff.

On the other hand, most oils concerned with LSPI are syn oils for Dexos gen 2...will the makers of conventional oils now start using a lot more Ca detergent, as they aren't as worried about LSPI? the latest Castrol GTX formulation uses about 2600ppm of Ca detergent, which is a lot for a 'cheaper' conventional oil.

Thoughts?

In theory less demand for Ca will make it cheaper, thus more attractive to non-dexos oils.

Dunno though. I could see some mouth breather try to sue because it didn't bother to read the label

Interesting...I thought Dexos Gen 2 was pushing this, so only syn oils would focus on it, as all Dexos oils are mostly synthetic.

Thought 'cheap' conventional wouldn't bother.

“Dunno though. I could see some mouth breather try to sue because it didn't bother to read the label”

This could be said better without the reference. I and most likely some others here have disabled members in our families through no fault of their own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Interesting...I thought Dexos Gen 2 was pushing this, so only syn oils would focus on it, as all Dexos oils are mostly synthetic.

Thought 'cheap' conventional wouldn't bother.

A surprising number of blends are showing up on the list of oils with Gen 2 licenses...although there is a parallel discussion on the board right now about how much of a blend Pennzoil Gold 5W30 is, given some of the properties on the product sheet SOPUS shared with BITOGer wemay.

This might dovetail into previous threads where some conventional oils appeared to have synthetic properties even though the manufacturer didn’t say they were synthetic. PYB was thought to be a blend.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This could be said better without the reference. I and most likely some others here have disabled members in our families through no fault of their own.

I don't think he meant any insult by it, not that it's my place to speak for him. In my view, his comment is much like my notion of people in Saskatchewan trying to run 20w-50 in the winter if the OEM allowed it in the summer, and then blame the OEM for their difficulties.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back