Method of Silicone Lubricant application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was suggested to buy this lubricant in the past on this board. I have 2 of these so don't want to go out and buy the speay. Would prefer to finish these up.
I was wondering what is the method of application. Just put some on a cotton cloth and roll over the door gasket and window seams?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
I was suggested to buy this lubricant in the past on this board. I have 2 of these so don't want to go out and buy the speay. Would prefer to finish these up.
I was wondering what is the method of application. Just put some on a cotton cloth and roll over the door gasket and window seams?

Thanks in advance.
The ten applicators you came equipped with work well for applying silicone grease to door gaskets. I have used this method to apply Sil-Glyde for years.

The MSDS for that product shows that it is chock full of petroleum distillates and acetone. Yet, we are constantly bombarded here at BITOG to keep these things away from rubber.

Drives me nuts (my coworker says it's a short drive).

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The MSDS for that product shows that it is chock full of petroleum distillates and acetone. Yet, we are constantly bombarded here at BITOG to keep these things away from rubber.

Drives me nuts (my coworker says it's a short drive).

Are you saying that this product should NOT be used on the rubbers?
I am not a chemist so don't get this idea. I usually follow the suggestions given by the fellow BITOGers.

I think the acetone is there as a "carrier" for the lubricant, to make it a bit easier to apply. It would then evaporate after being exposed to air.

It's concentration is likely very low, or it would damage the rubber.

Can't imagine DuPont saying to use it on rubber, knowing acetone in concentration would damage the rubber. It isn't all or nothing...depends on the concentration and for how long.

I'd use it. JMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back