2016 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been debating about posting this the last couple of days. I really don't want to see the inevitable **** that will follow. But, if it will give someone a little insight....

This run was almost exclusively this on a weekly basis: Two days a week a round trip of about 57 miles(or two one ways of 28.5 miles) 95% freeway. Four days a week, every day 4 one ways of about 1.25 miles each. The last month and a half, most nights were a little below freezing, a few days with high 20's or low 30's, and the rest days of 40-70's. I live at about 6250 ft. altitude. This is M1 EP 5W-30.

Last edited:
The block is compacted iron, could be still breaking in.
With such short OCIs, I would run something like a MC blend or VWB 5W-30 vs the M1 until wear stabilizes.

Many here have stated that Blackstone’s method of determining fuel dilution gives a conservative estimate. I believe Polaris is the company with the gas chromatography analysis that is more accurate.

Otherwise, the iron is higher than most would like but is this engine still breaking in? Are you planning to run a full oci on this vehicle this time around, say 5000 miles?

Without a TBN test, you will not know if you actually need the increased TBN in EP or not (even with the dilution, I am guessing not). With that said and because of the amount of fuel dilution that you have, you should consider a cheaper synthetic. The only cure for dilution is to change the oil and thus you will not be able see the benefits of EP but you are taking all of the detriments (cost).

From my own experience of running EP, I did not see any benefit over AFE (both ran 15-17K miles). I would try 0W-30 AFE and see how it works for you or try another brand--my guess is it will not matter because you will be forced to change it due to dilution anyway.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Many here have stated that Blackstone’s method of determining fuel dilution gives a conservative estimate. I believe Polaris is the company with the gas chromatography analysis that is more accurate.
I agree and Polaris does use gas chromatography.

I am going to be running AFE 0W-30(rebate) in both trucks this winter. After that, the new D1G2 PP and QSUD (rebate)I just got. With the 2016, I am just going change it at 1250 in the winter, and 2500 in the summer. Probably 2500 all year around in the 2017.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
With the 2016, I am just going change it at 1250 in the winter, and 2500 in the summer. Probably 2500 all year around in the 2017.
With only a 2.5K max OCI, (unless cost is no issue), I would be looking at a cheaper synthetic after the rebate oil is gone. I surmise you are running synthetic due to the turbocharger?

Throw in a 5w40 porsche A40 spec oil and leave it for 7k

Killing that thing with the short OCIs.

M1 5w30 is a SS not a full synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

What's that going to do for the fuel dilution situation besides possibly void his warranty from using a non spec'd oil and running it longer so he can get more fuel in the oil? Wear is not his problem from doing too frequent oil changes, it's fuel dilution.

Whimsey

Thanks for posting. I'm always interested in seeing UOA's for EcoBoost engines. I have a 2.3 EcoBoost. Do you sit and warm up the truck for more than 30 seconds to a minute before driving off cold? Or do you idle it for any period of time. Both of these seems to increase fuel dilution, especially in a DI engine.

Whimsey

Does altitude have a influence on fuel dilution? OP lives at 6250 feet. That’s a question for the more knowledgeable posters here.

With winter setting in I would expect higher dilution numbers. Another poster here (dblshock) owns a Honda CRV with the Earth Dreams 1.5 TGDI engine and was also showing high fuel dilution with colder weather. With that aside, a number of people here have shown uoa’s with high fuel dilution but wear numbers were still good. This is the million dollar question for us DI and TGDI owners. If we are not seeing higher wear numbers in iron, aluminum, etc with fuel diluted oil then is there really a problem? The vast majority of drivers with these engines short trip them and use whatever oil the dealer or quicky lube places fill with. They don’t get any analysis done and they just motor on.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Thanks for posting. I'm always interested in seeing UOA's for EcoBoost engines. I have a 2.3 EcoBoost. Do you sit and warm up the truck for more than 30 seconds to a minute before driving off cold? Or do you idle it for any period of time. Both of these seems to increase fuel dilution, especially in a DI engine.

Whimsey

I do not sit at warm up or idle. I am going to try out a pad heater and see if I can keep the oil warmed up.
I know that altitude can have an effect on oil(can prove).
I suspect(can't prove) it MAY(can't prove) have an effect(can't prove) on this engine's DI(can't prove). The oil run before this was in completely different conditions (very hot, high speed, long road trip), but most of it was at higher altitudes.
I think, in general, most of this comes from short tripping in cold conditions. May be exacerbated by altitude(can't prove).

I'd run some dino or semi synthetic in that thing until the rings break-in. The short OCIs w full synthetic are likely delaying break-in. Even with dino and the turbo, you should be able to go at least 3k miles with the kind of easy driving you're doing. After 25 or 30k, switch back to synthetic and you'll see less dilution. Then you can safely stretch your OCI to 5-10k.

I think, in general, most of this comes from short tripping in cold conditions. May be exacerbated by altitude(can't prove).
With the instrumentation (sensors) and computer controls on vehicles these days, I will step out on a limb and say that altitude does not impact fuel dilution because the computer knows the altitude and adjusts the fuel/air ratio accordingly. Short tripping in a cold environment is the culprit here. I see more dilution on my diesel in the winter as well.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Does altitude have a influence on fuel dilution? OP lives at 6250 feet. That’s a question for the more knowledgeable posters here.

With winter setting in I would expect higher dilution numbers. Another poster here (dblshock) owns a Honda CRV with the Earth Dreams 1.5 TGDI engine and was also showing high fuel dilution with colder weather. With that aside, a number of people here have shown uoa’s with high fuel dilution but wear numbers were still good. This is the million dollar question for us DI and TGDI owners. If we are not seeing higher wear numbers in iron, aluminum, etc with fuel diluted oil then is there really a problem? The vast majority of drivers with these engines short trip them and use whatever oil the dealer or quicky lube places fill with. They don’t get any analysis done and they just motor on.

Certainly a good point. Maybe these engines only last to 200k instead of 400k. Most original purchasers won't care, as they won't see 200k. The issue with me is that there has been some issues, most notably the TSB (purportedly for valve guides). I am not going to freak out, but I don't like it, either.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

In your opinion what is a full synthetic oil? Please define that.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
With the instrumentation (sensors) and computer controls on vehicles these days, I will step out on a limb and say that altitude does not impact fuel dilution because the computer knows the altitude and adjusts the fuel/air ratio accordingly. Short tripping in a cold environment is the culprit here. I see more dilution on my diesel in the winter as well.

I think you're generally right. That's why them Canadian fellers have the short OCI's in their manuals
smile.gif

Is fuel dilution more difficult to determine because the sample is a snapshot and may not reflect the worst case or even the average? And how long does a higher dilution percentage actually exist and how quickly can it change in day to day driving? Should a sample be taken through the dipstick opening at a time when its expected to be at it highest percentage, a sample just meant for a check on the dilution level only? This might turn into a planned procedure that would better examine the problem if there is one.

Fuel dilution may be something important to track for owners that keep vehicles past the factory basic warranty. So far the factories appear to play it down saying they've got the problem covered and not to worry.

A friend in Alaska says he can smell the fuel when doing an oil change but he uses a pan heater because of the cold weather and figures that adjusting the heating time will fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back