Ballistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Ballistol really as good as people claim it to be?
21.gif

No. Its mediocre at best as a cleaner, mediocre at best as a lube. Basically, bypass it and find no need for it, unless someone gave you a can for free, in which case you can use it up, since it was free.

I have a can of it and I have no idea what to do with it, since it wont touch my guns. The more modern stuff is just so much better.

Ballistol is actually very good at being a CLP as designed, but I agree there are better products out there nowadays (especially for Modern Sporting rifles like AR, AK, etc)... and it's isn't all that cheap. Hoppes 9 bore cleaner (my preferred bore/barrel solvent) is MUCH faster at cleaning. Apply, agitate, wipe... good to go. if it's super dirty, a second application or extra elbow grease on agitation makes it clean enough by my standards. Something like Ballistol requires you to spray, walk away for five minutes, agitate, wipe, see how it looks, perhaps repeat all over again. As a lubricant, I think it depends on the application. For an MSR, they get so dang hot that something like Ballistol will flash off pretty quick since it's primary lubricant is just basic mineral oil... meaning you'll need to be reapplying fairly consistently. For hunting rifles, revolvers, etc... it would work just as well as just about any other lube in my opinion (lower rate of fire = lower heat). As a protectant - it works great for me. Just keep the firearm wiped down a few times here and there... no rust.

On a side note - it's also non-toxic and biodegradable (if that's important to you), so it can be used on more things than just a firearm. I use it on my gardening tools, gardening leather gloves, lawnmower, etc. Does a great job keeping the parts lubed and rust free.

I guess to summarize - if a basic CLP is what you're looking for, Ballistol will work every bit as well of just about any other basic CLP. There are "better" options out there for sure, but diversity of use and non-toxic nature is worth enough to me to keep a can of it around. CLP's by design are a "one stop shop"... which by nature will be "good" at everything, but often not "great" at anything.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
No. Its mediocre at best as a cleaner, mediocre at best as a lube. Basically, bypass it and find no need for it, unless someone gave you a can for free, in which case you can use it up, since it was free. I have a can of it and I have no idea what to do with it, since it wont touch my guns. The more modern stuff is just so much better.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ballistol is basically mineral oil. The MSDS will confirm that.

http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf

"Ballistol is based on medicinal grade white mineral oil"

If you still like the idea of using mineral oil to clean, lubricate, and protect your firearms, you can buy it much cheaper than Ballistol sells it for with they're name on it. And it will also double as a laxative the next time you get constipated. Be advised that you'll have to add your own licorice scent to it however. It's also available.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Minera...13=&veh=sem

https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/black-licorice-fragrance-oil

I'm not a big believer in an all in one CLP. None of us particularly need to worry about living autonomously in the field for days/weeks/months, with limited amounts of stuffed can carry.

Ballistol is relatively good because it does clean, it does protect against corrosion, and it does lubricate. It's also relatively safe on wood, and non toxic for parts to be readily handled.

There are relatively better oils and greases for high friction/high wear points. Other than a few odd spots, ballistol has worked fine for corrosion protection. It also works well enough as an interim cleaner, as I'm not keen on running brushes too often, or strong solvents. A few patches with ballistol (sometimes following a first patch with hopped elite or butch's bore solvent) works great and leaves behind a protective film.

I like ballistol for what it is. I also use it to coat hand tools that are prone to surface rust. Works great there too, and zero concerns regarding subsequent skin contact.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
When I must use a CLP I use Grizzly Grease.

http://grizzlyguncare.com/grizzly-grease-non-toxic-clp-4-fl-oz/

Call me crazy, but another product I like to use, not just on my firearms, is KROIL.
Before moving to Tampa, FL in 1987, I was working A LOT of shutdowns and turnarounds in the Petro plants throughout Louisiana. AEROKROIL (KROIL) was used on EVERYTHING. I had NEVER used a penetrant, lubricant, and cleaner like KROIL before. They used to pass it out to us like it was candy. Like I stated, USED TO.
One of my cousins is an engineer for EXXON-Baton Rouge. When I need a can he gets it for me. I have never seen any other product like this, work the way it does. If you can afford a small can of it, you should buy one. You won't be let down.

http://www.kanolabs.com

i actually like ballistol, but i only shoot handguns these days, and dont even own a msr/ar/ak variant. most recently while away from home i put 400 rounds of russian steel ammo through a russian ij70 380acp and used wd40 as an expedient cleaner, all worked just fine.

that said, to blue oval fitter, im keen to try kroil but three variants are listed on kanolabs.com. which one do you suggest?

Originally Posted By: jstert
i actually like ballistol, but i only shoot handguns these days, and dont even own a msr/ar/ak variant. most recently while away from home i put 400 rounds of russian steel ammo through a russian ij70 380acp and used wd40 as an expedient cleaner, all worked just fine.

that said, to blue oval fitter, im keen to try kroil but three variants are listed on kanolabs.com. which one do you suggest?

I suggest either original AEROKROIL-KROIL or SiliKroil - Kroil with Silicone. The latter of the 2 will give you more lubricity.
AMAZON sells KROIL as well.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_gnr_aps?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AKROIL&keywords=KROIL&ie=UTF8&qid=1510787415

21.gif

It has a huge following. So it obviously works well. I clean my pistols with it, inside and outside. Works great on wood stocks too. I prefer to lube with Lucas Syn Oil and Superlube grease.

No. Its mediocre at best as a cleaner, mediocre at best as a lube. Basically, bypass it and find no need for it, unless someone gave you a can for free, in which case you can use it up, since it was free.

I have a can of it and I have no idea what to do with it, since it wont touch my guns. The more modern stuff is just so much better.

Yeah, your opinion. But we all know how that goes. I find it works just fine as an all around.Cleans well, lubricates fine. Protect fine in the dhort-medium term. A can will last you a long time.Good value for money.

Originally Posted By: Toros

Yeah, your opinion. But we all know how that goes. I find it works just fine as an all around.Cleans well, lubricates fine. Protects fine in the short-medium term. A can will last you a long time.Good value for money. All that veggie oil based [censored] guns up in short order...Frog Lube for all the wannabe keyboard operators...hahh. what a joke. [censored], I still run with Hoppes #9 Solvent and RemOil or Outers gun oil. All good stuff.

21.gif

Oh gawd no, not this again!!!

33.gif

Do a search and read some of the varying opinions about Ballistol. If it still interests you, try some and draw your own conclusions. My shortened opinion of it is that it is very versatile and will work well enough for most people in most situations. It is not a high tech, high performance, "cutting edge" product of any sort but it will clean and lubricate an average firearm well enough for most average firearm uses. It has a huge following and even people who shoot a fair amount like Hickock45, use Ballistol and it does the job just fine.

Originally Posted By: AMC
21.gif

Oh gawd no, not this again!!!

33.gif

Do a search and read some of the varying opinions about Ballistol. If it still interests you, try some and draw your own conclusions. My shortened opinion of it is that it is very versatile and will work well enough for most people in most situations. It is not a high tech, high performance, "cutting edge" product of any sort but it will clean and lubricate an average firearm well enough for most average firearm uses. It has a huge following and even people who shoot a fair amount like Hickock45, use Ballistol and it does the job just fine.

I'd say you summed that up correctly.

It was awesome when it came out at the dawn of the 20th century. Now...it does everything OK, but is sold at a rather high price point. If you don't like the scent of anise/black licorice, the smell makes you want to puke.

I have used it before and found it will eventually gum up, so I don't like it for long term protection.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm not a big believer in an all in one CLP. None of us particularly need to worry about living autonomously in the field for days/weeks/months, with limited amounts of stuffed can carry.

Ballistol is relatively good because it does clean, it does protect against corrosion, and it does lubricate. It's also relatively safe on wood, and non toxic for parts to be readily handled.

There are relatively better oils and greases for high friction/high wear points. Other than a few odd spots, ballistol has worked fine for corrosion protection. It also works well enough as an interim cleaner, as I'm not keen on running brushes too often, or strong solvents. A few patches with ballistol (sometimes following a first patch with hopped elite or butch's bore solvent) works great and leaves behind a protective film.

I like ballistol for what it is. I also use it to coat hand tools that are prone to surface rust. Works great there too, and zero concerns regarding subsequent skin contact.

+1, well said.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
It was awesome when it came out at the dawn of the 20th century. Now...it does everything OK, but is sold at a rather high price point. If you don't like the scent of anise/black licorice, the smell makes you want to puke. I have used it before and found it will eventually gum up, so I don't like it for long term protection.

That's a very accurate, and realistic description. It's basically nothing but licorice scented mineral oil in an aerosol can. It's amazing how so many people can hype a century old cure for constipation, into a modern day gun care product.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
It was awesome when it came out at the dawn of the 20th century. Now...it does everything OK, but is sold at a rather high price point. If you don't like the scent of anise/black licorice, the smell makes you want to puke. I have used it before and found it will eventually gum up, so I don't like it for long term protection.

That's a very accurate, and realistic description. It's basically nothing but licorice scented mineral oil in an aerosol can. It's amazing how so many people can hype a century old cure for constipation, into a modern day gun care product.

I never used the aerosol version. I bought the liquid in a can. That stuff is on the thick side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back