Begging your car to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a "Scienceman", you would be aware of the double slit experiment and it's variants, and how conscious observation affects the outcome of experiments...maybe egging it on to a start can help...

When my FXT was nearly new and had a hard start problem (apparently fixed by software), I would whisper sweet nothings like, "Cmon you piece of (excrement), I just bought you, you gotta be kidding me!!!"

Darn, Blokey beat me to it.
lol.gif

I've talked to my Liberty and LR3 while off roading, give them some encouragement to do whatever insane thing I'm trying to get them to do. They've never let me down!

I also pat my vehicles after a roadtrip and thank them for their service.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
This is going to start being pretty foreign soon as more and more cars have keyless start/go. All I do is hit the button on my car and it automatically cranks it the right amount to start it. Usually just a quick tap and then I grab my seat belt and it's started and ready to go. You never end up accidentally cranking it while its running too because if you hit it again, it just shuts the car off.

How long before it uses voice recognition? "Ok car, let's start up, and please give me directions to 123 Main Street while you're at it."

I never see this.

1. Most people have their windows closed

2. We have modern day fuel injection

3. Most no-starts are battery related and it doesn't even crank over, so no opportunity to talk to it

Originally Posted By: Silk
I don't talk to cars, they are just an old appliance, they know if they don't go, they go. I say to my motorcycle when I go for a ride, that we will look after each other today.

Good sentiment.

Ha, come to think of it - I probably talk to my '72 CL175 more than any of my cars, because the poor little bike tries so hard and points ignition + dual slide valve carbs. means it always needs some kind of tweak. But something it inspires me to do that no other machine has is, literally, shout and whoop while leant' over it in my open-face helmet, throttle pinned open, revving 7,000 RPM for all she's worth doing a whopping 55 MPH. I guess the sensory input of that scenario just gives me an extra thrill.
laugh.gif

"It's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I...
smile.gif

...after getting home safe after avoiding some idiots on the road.

P.S. all cars are "girls"

I cannot repeat what I have called my cars through the years. I would be immediately banned for life.

I can guarantee you this though: They were not names like "baby" etc.

LOL
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Scienceman
Haha! Quoted wrong person!

I love a GM bash fail!

Owning a Chevy Duramax I'll have to say something you won't see often.

I'll confess to talking to the MG when it would vapor lock, in hopes that it had cooled off enough to start again. That was usually after pleading for it to run a little longer when it started surging and stumbling before it stalled out. True, no substitute for an electric fuel pump to take the poorly insulated mechanical fuel pump out of the picture, but I'm sure I'm not the first to say "Please? Are you going to start now?".

It'll be a long time before they trickle down to my pay scale - I usually buy a non runner that is too expensive to repair. I don't think modern cars are going to get there.

Mine is a 2008. They've been around since 2003 and even earlier like S class cars. Those you might find as it's real easy for them to get too expensive to repair if the airmatic or active body control goes out. It's a fun option and MB has good vin decoders out there so I search until I found a car that had that option.

But lots of cars have them now, even Toyota Camry/Corolla.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key

Originally Posted By: Kestas
If my car doesn't start, I dont talk to it... I start swearing.

It's a good thing our Focus doesn't talk.. it would have a dirty mouth!

It'll be a long time before they trickle down to my pay scale - I usually buy a non runner that is too expensive to repair. I don't think modern cars are going to get there.

Actually, I think they will get there faster than cars with less tech.

I just bought a 2012 car and it has the push button start. It's growing on me. No hunting for keys. I walk up to the car, push a button and get in. I push another button and it starts.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I...
smile.gif

...after getting home safe after avoiding some idiots on the road.

P.S. all cars are "girls"

This is why men should not give their vehicles male names.

The schooner/'97 chrysler concorde, had a male name.
It was in our possession 2 months. It "died" protecting my wife from a soccer mom. Of course we received less the we bought it from the insurance company.

So no more male cars in our family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back