Best Lug Nut Sockets I've Come Across

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a set of these the other day, and for any type of lug nut removal they're beautiful. They come as a full set in both S.A.E. as well as Metric. I doubt you'll come across a lug nut this set can't handle. The outside of each socket is covered with a nice heavy orange plastic sleeve to prevent scratching any decorative alloy wheels. And the inside of each one also has a plastic insert to protect the top of the chrome lug nut. They are made from Chrome Moly Steel, and are finished in a beautiful gloss black oxide finish that is almost firearm quality. The sizes are laser etched on each one. The set also comes with 2, 1/2" drive extensions. One 3" long, and the other 5". It's really a nice set for the money, and it comes with a Lifetime Warranty, In a nice foam lined, thick plastic case with nice latches that snap closed tightly.

If you buy a set of these, be sure to get one of the 20% off coupons Harbor Freight almost always offers. That makes it right around $60.00 out the door, depending on what percentage your sales tax is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-driv...1-pc-69829.html

Harbor freight seems to be attempting to step up their game. From complete junk to now selling some decent products.

Those are nice and I almost bought a set once, but the plastic sleeve just makes the thin-wall socket bigger. For most vehicles I just use a thin wall 19/21 mm flip-socket, and on the 17 and 22mm lug nuts a regular impact. On some aftermarket wheels the only thing that fits is a thin-wall spark plug socket. Important thing is make sure whatever socket doesn't drag on the wheel around the nut, and keep it straight.

I have them and found them to be very good for the money. HF seems to be stepping up their game.

The Moda wheels I bought to use with winter tires require a thin walled socket...it was quite a surprise for me the first time I went to retorque the lug nuts as my indy tire shop recommends after 100 miles on the wheels.
Looks like a really nice set, I just don't think are very likely to work for my application.

Even I must admit those look decent.

Too bad you can't buy ala carte, as I can't see the need for most of those. Plus they give a 7/8 instead of 22mm
frown.gif

^^Ditto^^ I only need two sizes for all 4 vehicles. What do I care? I've already scratched my wheels up from regular impact sockets.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Billbert
Harbor freight seems to be attempting to step up their game. From complete junk to now selling some decent products.

I think this is happening with most all Chi-Com produced goods in today's market. Harbor Freight has seen the boldest improvement, because virtually everything they sell is manufactured there. It mimics Japan back in the 50's. When I was a kid growing up, if you had a toy that was, "Made In Japan", the other kids made fun of it because it was basically cheap, low quality junk. Japanese quality in the 50's was about the same as China's was in the 90's. But slowly both improved. Japan had a 50 year head start. And they are now producers of world class goods. China soon will be, and already is following suit.

Now with American companies producing their goods over there, quality will improve much faster. American companies do not want their quality, along with their reputation to take a nose dive, just because they are producing them cheaper in China. And in time that will end too. And prices on Chi-Com goods will rise from being "bargain basement", to being priced on par with goods produced in Japan and everyone else. The people there won't work for nothing forever. What happened to automakers in Japan in the 80's, will happen to Chi-Com workers in the near future. With mainland China being communistic, they won't like it, but in the long run they'll be forced to submit to better pay and benefits. Just like Japan did. It costs money to produce world class goods.

I'm not a huge fan of impacts on acorn style lugs. They seem to get so chewed up.

My truck has caps over plain bolts so it doesn't bother me as much. My stubby 6 point chrome moly sockets work just fine here.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'm not a huge fan of impacts on acorn style lugs.

I'm the same way. While these are impact designed sockets, I always remove, install, and torque wheel nuts manually.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'm not a huge fan of impacts on acorn style lugs. They seem to get so chewed up.

That's a fact. My 1991 Ford F-150 came from the factory with nice alloy wheels. Along with what I thought were bright, shiny chrome lug nuts. They weren't. What they were was basically a cheap steel, open ended lug nut that had a pressed on, shiny stainless steel sheet metal covering attached to it, made by Dorman. A well respected automotive supply company that's been in business for decades. You can guess what happened the first time they were exposed to an air impact wrench. The metal covers came right off, got all bent and chewed up, and went flying everywhere.

I went out and bought 24 replacement chrome plated lug nuts. (6 packages of 4 each), so I would have 4 extra. Don't ask me why they sell lug nuts in packages of 4, when each wheel requires 5. Obviously someone with a college degree in marketing made that decision. They've held up well through the years because I apply anti seize to both the wheel studs, as well as the inside threads of the nuts. So when the Gorilla's at the "Tire Center" hit them with their impact guns, they come off easily, and aren't exposed to a lot of hammering by the gun.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Who manufactures the thinnest (but durable) 19mm deep impact socket?

They will ship these to the USA. These are thinner than a normal impact socket, the steel is top shelf.

https://www.amazon.de/HAZET-Steckschl%C3%BCssel-Satz-Vierkantantrieb-Kunststoffh%C3%BClse-903SPC/dp/B001C9UTOK/ref=pd_sbs_60_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KPYQCKMF95T9Q27B77EK

This an extra long for certain SUV. Hazet quality Hazet $$$

https://www.amazon.de/Hazet-Kraft-Sechskant-Steckschl%C3%BCssel-Einsatz-904SLG-17/dp/B01MRGH32O?th=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back