Ruger SR-1911 45 / 10mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody own one of these pistols? Thinking about the 10mm version but would like to hear feedback from anyone with a Ruger SR-1911. Thanks

I've had one for a couple of years now. If I had to guess it's got close to 1K rounds through it by now. It's been a very good running 1911. No stoppages of any kind with either Ball or high performance self defense ammunition. The gun is reasonably accurate as well. I like the black / silver contrasting color of the parts. Others don't. It's a personal preference thing. I would buy a 10 MM Ruger 1911 without hesitation. It's a quality firearm.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Isn't a 10 mm very similar ballistically and bullet size to a .40 Cal?

Yes but 10mm has a longer case with more powder. The 40S&W was invented because the FBI was testing if 10MM Auto was a good caliber for its agents, but certain agents couldn't handle the recoil.

The .40 is often called the "Short & Weak" (in contrast to the 10MM it could have been) for this reason.

10MM WAS the caliber that they issued and chose after the disastrous Miami shootout where they got shot up, and blamed it on the 9MM. In short order, they found smaller statured agents couldnt qualify with it. Thus, .40 was invented as a weaker 10MM, that could fit in 9MM size guns.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Yes but 10mm has a longer case with more powder. The 40S&W was invented because the FBI was testing if 10MM Auto was a good caliber for its agents, but certain agents couldn't handle the recoil.

The .40 is often called the "Short & Weak" (in contrast to the 10MM it could have been) for this reason.

Yes, similar dimensions, but can go much faster. A lot of off the shelf 10mm ammo isn't loaded to anywhere near its full potential, just on the hot end of 40 S&W. Wikipedia states that the 10mm bullet will move 270-300 fps faster than a 40 S&W with the same bullet. A 180gr bullet at 1000fps has 400 FPE while the same bullet at 1300fps has 675 FPE.

10mm can be a lot of fun, especially if you reload.

I don't own a Ruger SR 1911 but I have shot several of them. I own several Colt 1911's I see very little advantage to the 10MM in the respect power with they are very close. You can pick up 45 brass any day you go to the range. 45 ACP ammo is also way more available in stores. That's my
49.gif

Underwood ammo is usually pretty close to its advertised figures. The Underwood .40 165 grain load I use is pretty hot for a .40 load at 1200 fps, and 528 ft./lbs. Most .40 loads are less than this. The Underwood 10mm 165 load is 1400 fps, and 718 ft./lbs, which is significantly more.

Last edited:

Same bullet diameter. 10mm runs 30% faster (roughly) for the same bullet weight if loaded properly. So, about 70% more muzzle energy than the .40.

Most 10mm practice ammo is loaded to "FBI" specs, which are slow for the caliber (to allow smaller agents to handle the caliber back when the FBI used it) and so it isn't that much different than .40S&W.

Kind of like driving a car with the key in "valet mode"....where your 700HP Hellcat puts out 400HP to keep the kid driving it out of trouble...but that has little to do with its potential...

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Love the caliber 10mm

Me too.

Carry Buffalo Bore heavy 10mm in my G20 when I want (or need) a serious pistol...

"10mm, when 45 ACP isn't enough!"

10mm is tough stuff. It might require more practice since it has even more recoil than 45 ACP. And it is more expensive, so practice requires more money spent.

Ruger has just released a Super Redhawk revolver in 10mm also. It should have no problem shooting .40S&W for a lighter recoil. The actual bullet comes from the old .38-40 rifle round. There was a revolver a while back that shot that caliber and .40.

Last edited:
Look at 10mm ammo specs. Most range 10mm is barely 100 fps faster than 40 S&W. To get 10mm in the 1300+ fps range you'll spend over $1/shot for factory stuff. It sure is fun to shoot hot Blue Dot loads out of a short barrel, volleyball size fireball!!

The Ruger is a good choice in the 45acp. If I was going to get a 10mm though, I would probably just bump up to the Colt Delta now that Colt has updated its features.

Did Colt improve the chamber support on the Delta Elite? The Ruger kind of pulled me in with their barrel. I believe it’s a bushingless / ramped / bull barrel with very good chamber support. On a side note does anyone know if the only option for a 10 round mag in 10mm is Trip research ? I’ve heard they run well but I’d like something with a full mag sleeve on the lower part of the mag.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Ruger has just released a Super Redhawk revolver in 10mm also. It should have no problem shooting .40S&W for a lighter recoil.....

I'm not seeing this thing as a big seller for several reasons. First off, the Ruger Super Redhawk is a fantastic revolver. I have 2 of them. One in .44 Magnum, another in .454 Casull. I'm just not seeing a 10 MM in such a big, heavy revolver as advantageous in any way, shape, or form.

The 10 MM is an auto pistol cartridge. In a auto pistol like a Glock or a 1911 it makes perfect sense. But in a big heavy revolver it's a big PITA. Too big. Too heavy. And not enough cartridge capacity. It's the worst of all worlds wrapped into one gun. Something to play with at the range for the man who has everything. But honestly, I can think of about 150 guns that make far more sense, and are 1,000 times more practical. This thing makes about as much sense as a bolt action rifle chambered in .45 ACP. Looks like something Ruger engineers came up with after a 3 Martini lunch.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Something to play with at the range for the man who has everything.

Umm Bill, based on what you post up that might be you?! You don't seem to lack for pistols my friend!!

Agree it seems like a weird match-up but don't care 'cause I don't own revolvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back