Driving courtesy questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. If someone want to merge into your lane are you likely to let them or not let them?

2. If stopped at a traffic light are you more likely to block business driveways or leave an opening for vehicles to enter or exit?

For me I almost always let people in and leave space.

Last edited:
I stop to let em cross if it looks like they can without holding me up.

If coming from a right driveway, and they want in front of me, I'll give space, but they have a small window of time to give me eye contact, and take it or I fill since light is about to change.

My goal when driving is to get people moving and off of me, but if I find they are pokers, I got the torque to get em behind me.

In general, I will let people merge and don't block driveways.
An exception to the former would be when I'm in a long line in the left lane that is passing a slow driver and somebody comes screaming up in the right lane and tries to force his way over at the last second...no way they are getting in front of me in that case.

I let people merge unless it is someone coming up from behind who tried to skip traffic by driving in the breakdown lane.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
In general, I will let people merge and don't block driveways.
An exception to the former would be when I'm in a long line in the left lane that is passing a slow driver and somebody comes screaming up in the right lane and tries to force his way over at the last second...no way they are getting in front of me in that case.

Just like driving on the Thruway and the merge-on lane ends.
The driver merging on waits until he completely runs out of road and then wants in.
I always figure people like them also never saved a penny for retirement.

I generally let them merge in, even though when traffic is coming down off ramps they are supposed to yield by law, often they are staring straight ahead while blabbing on their cell phones, so I find it easier and safer to just speed up, merge left or slow down, in order to let them merge in. Not worth battling over space even if they are in the wrong. Do not need an accident. I see it almost every day when there are lane restrictions coming up, signs warning about right or left lane closures 2 miles back, but still many ignore it and then race around wanting to be let in at the last 100 meters or so. They are basically being a jerk, but better to let em in than be part of an accident. Around here I pretty much expect some one to come zooming around when a lane restriction is coming up.
I find it easier and less stressful to let em in if I can do so safely, Sometimes have no choice than to block a business driveway due to the light timings , but if I have enough reaction time I will let them in.

I back off a tick and give them room to merge.
BUT, I hate the average Joe that thinks he needs a semi truck space to get in line, and looks literally 12 times like their head is on a swivel. I'm thinking "c'mon dude, how do you make it through life???"

Originally Posted By: ZZman
1. If someone want to merge into your lane are you likely to let them or not let them?

2. If stopped at a traffic light are you more likely to block business driveways or leave an opening for vehicles to enter or exit?

For me I almost always let people in and leave space.

1. If you signal, I have no problem letting you in.

2. I try to be cognizant of drive ways et al, blocking intersections, etc.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I back off a tick and give them room to merge.
BUT, I hate the average Joe that thinks he needs a semi truck space to get in line, and looks literally 12 times like their head is on a swivel. I'm thinking "c'mon dude, how do you make it through life???"

The blind spot monitors on some cars is pretty sensitive. I see a gap and start to merge but the BSM starts beeping which makes me double check my mirrors. This is new to me and many others so eventually I’ll get used to it.

Every day I depend on the courtesy of others to leave a gap for me to turn out of the industrial park, and to let me merge into the right lane for my commute. Otherwise I'll just sit there all evening. It's only fair to show the same courtesy.

I'm the laid back one in the family and I am passionate about driving. I like to make time, if you get my point. However, I will most often go out of my way to avoid annoying other drivers. I recognize that the left lane camper won't affect my transit time much, as eventually, it's possible to pass.

So I don't tailgate, and I don't worry about those who tailgate me. I'll pull over first chance. I use the zipper method to merge and expect others to do the same. Much of the time people do the right thing and when they don't I don't worry about it.

However, I was waiting in a static cue for 45 minutes leaving an event. I moved up to prevent the guy who bypassed the entire crowd from cutting me off. A message that his behavior was unacceptable. He got out and beat the [censored] out of my car, frantically. Damaging the fender, door, gas door and lower trim. He then tried to break the windows out. Had he broken into the car, he would have lost his life. The cops were right there. As were many witnesses. I was never able to get him to pay.

I vowed NEVER to do anything like that again.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
...However, I was waiting in a static cue for 45 minutes leaving an event. I moved up to prevent the guy who bypassed the entire crowd from cutting me off. A message that his behavior was unacceptable. He got out and beat the [censored] out of my car, frantically. Damaging the fender, door, gas door and lower trim. He then tried to break the windows out. Had he broken into the car, he would have lost his life. The cops were right there. As were many witnesses. I was never able to get him to pay.

I vowed NEVER to do anything like that again.

Yeah. We've all probably done something similar at one time or another. But, reality is that you should expect retaliation no matter how irresponsible the other player. And reactions on either side "could" escalate to any level. If you decide to play, know that you may have to decide their life or yours. And you'll pay dearly either way. Might not be worth it.

Generally, I'm courteous to others who are courteous. What's really starting to get to me are drivers who are overly courteous and give up their properly earned right of way, especially at 3 and 4 way stops. Once the order is interrupted, then it's a free for all.

When traffic is heavy, and some jackwad comes screaming up and tries to merge/cut in front of me, nope, not happening. I close the gap and he can try and squeeze his car into the 8 feet I left for him. He can wait for a break in traffic, just like every one else. Of course, I am about the ONLY person anymore that actually drives in the right lane, and passes in the left lane. Just this morning there were TEN cars in the left lane driving the speed limit, and ZERO cars in the right lane, so I passed them all in the right lane. That's ten idiots that have no clue how to drive. 100% of the cars on the road at the moment, and not a single one of them have any freaking idea how to drive correctly and polity, in the RIGHT lane.

If they want the roadway they can have it. No matter how obnoxious they are, they can have the roadway. Not getting involved with individuals is paramount. There is no way of knowing what these kooks are ingesting, smoking, huffing,snorting (or carrying). Getting as far away from them should be the objective.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
If they want the roadway they can have it. No matter how obnoxious they are, they can have the roadway. Not getting involved with individuals is paramount. There is no way of knowing what these kooks are ingesting, smoking, huffing,snorting (or carrying). Getting as far away from them should be the objective.
My last job as a paper pusher involved 99% driving. Getting paid for driving mellowed me out. Let them have the road. As long as I missed you, no harm, no foul.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour

1. If you signal, I have no problem letting you in.

2. I try to be cognizant of drive ways et al, blocking intersections, etc.

That's pretty much my philosophy, particularly if the car has out-of-state plates. That said, if a lane is ending, the end is well marked, and it's a local driver, I may or may not let you in.

With the way people act today and the risks associated with things escalating, I'll let people merge in whenever they want. I have a "real" commute with merges, traffic lights, and congestion, so I'm more of "we're all trying to get to work/home here".

If there is no one waiting to get out of the business, I'll block it waiting for a light. There's no reason to leave it open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back