Honda CR-V Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am shopping for a used CR-V for the wife. We are getting rid of her chevy cruze. She loves the Cruze but its not practical for what she does.

I had it narrowed down to the 2007-2009 - K24 bulletproof engine, non DI, non CVT. Avoiding the 2010-2011 that had oil consumption problems needing pistons replaced. The colors offered were dated, so white was the one she liked. Of course i found that white is a very hard color to find.

Upon her browsing she found the Kona Coffee Metallic offered in 2013. The 2013 is a facelift from the third gen and i agree its a more attractive vehicle. So reseach reveals to avoid the 2015+ due to the 'earth dreams' engine and CVT addition which leads to reports of excessive oil consumption, carbon buildup and shuddering.

So if i am on the right track the 2013 and 2014 CR-V gets me a K24 port injection, 5 speed auto, AWD and her beloved Kona Coffee paint. From what i can tell so far these are 'good years' for the K24, with only a small handful of oil consumption complaints..unless i am missing something?

Last but not least upon deeper forum reading, whether i choose a third or fourth gen CR-V i should be looking for an East Liberty vin code over a mexico or japan built.. they seem to have somewhat less quirks and recalls from what i can tell.

The move toward a SUV started with her wanting a RAV4. The one that makes the most sense is the 2015 with the facelift but this adds around $4K-$5K to the price and i dont see where its that much more of a vehicle..

Her uses- hauling antiques and furniture that she buys and sells. A small trailer may be towed to haul furniture or antique stoves etc. We live in the country in West Virginia so she drives in all seasons. She loves to fish and camp so this vehicle may take place of our Suburban that we use. She is wanting to do more saltwater fishing, so the Suburban isnt a good choice for those long beach drives.

Last but not least- no we dont want a Subaru or Mazda lol. and Happy Wife Happy Life! Am i on the right track here or have i missed something?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
FWIW, my Mother inlaw has a 2009 CRV that has seen long OCI's on conventional oil and it's running great.

This is a 2009 that i saw on reddit. I think it has over 500K now.

9KaKutL.jpg

Yes, the 2014 is the last year for the K24 & 5 spd auto.

My buddy has the 2014 EX-L/Navi and loves it however, it is not getting the EPA projected mpg which may of them don't even according to many in the PRESS including CR MAG.

It's not bad mpg, just not was projected so, keep this in mind. Besides that, it's been great and it's pretty quiet for a Honda! DID I SAY HONDA? Yeah, I'm yelling but just kidding. It is quiet(er) though!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I have a 1997 that my wife calls the "Crazy Wagon" because she feels like she can beat on it. We drive the pi55 out of it and it just keeps going an going. 220K+ miles

Not a fan of the newer ones...my wife is NOT fond of her '16 CR-V. Our less-than-stellar experience with a '14 Accord LX and '16 CR-V EX have turned us off Honda altogether. The older ones are allegedly bulletproof but my MIL only kept her 2009 for a year before she traded it on a 2010 Accord EX-L because she didn't like the lack of visibility out the back.

Our '16 has a CVT that doesn't like to engage reverse from a cold start and "surges" on moderate acceleration, even after the transmission reflash recall. The oil level creeps UP presumably due to oil dilution. The TPMS system sends false alarms. The doors sound and feel "tinny" and less substantial than the Accord. We're counting the days until the lease is up so we can get a VW Alltrack.

It's a bad sign when everyone would rather drive the 165000 mile, scroungy old Kia Sportage than the newer Hondas.

K24s... good motors, I regularly pound the living jeezus out of one. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Seriously well built motors. My 2009 uses about a quart every 2,500-3,000 miles, but it is expected.

The drivetrain combo in the 13-14 MY ones you're looking at are very reliable. The 5 speed auto is a great unit when regularly serviced. Parts will be inexpensive too.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, the 2014 is the last year for the K24 & 5 spd auto
My buddy has this one and loves it however, it is not getting the EPA projected mpg which may of them don't even according to many in the PRESS including CR MAG. It's not bad mpg, just not was projected so, keep this in mind. Besides that, it's been great.

From what i can tell on the 2014 i should expect somewhere around 25mpg average according to fuelly.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/cr-v/2014

Everyone drives different in different situations so its hard to pinpoint..but i think somewhere around 25 would be great. Our Suburban averages 12-13mpg so a definate improvement.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Not a fan of the newer ones...my wife is NOT fond of her '16 CR-V. Our less-than-stellar experience with a '14 Accord LX and '16 CR-V EX have turned us off Honda altogether. The older ones are allegedly bulletproof but my MIL only kept her 2009 for a year before she traded it on a 2010 Accord EX-L because she didn't like the lack of visibility out the back.

Our '16 has a CVT that doesn't like to engage reverse from a cold start and "surges" on moderate acceleration, even after the transmission reflash recall. The oil level creeps UP presumably due to oil dilution. The TPMS system sends false alarms. The doors sound and feel "tinny" and less substantial than the Accord. We're counting the days until the lease is up so we can get a VW Alltrack.

It's a bad sign when everyone would rather drive the 165000 mile, scroungy old Kia Sportage than the newer Hondas.

Yes i read all the bad stuff about the 'Earth Dreams' engine coupled with the CVT.. I feel your pain.

I kind of wish there was a SubForum on here for car shoppers that listed everything to avoid.

I got to enjoy the subaru head gasket failure and the toyota camry oil consumption as well as a camry sludger and a V6 honda transmission failure..due to not spending many hours on the web to rule out vehicles to avoid or be aware of.

I think that is why i am so meticulous now in car shopping.. 'bulletproof' vehicles are a chore to find without doing your homework.

Originally Posted By: redhat
K24s... good motors, I regularly pound the living jeezus out of one. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Seriously well built motors. My 2009 uses about a quart every 2,500-3,000 miles, but it is expected.

The drivetrain combo in the 13-14 MY ones you're looking at are very reliable. The 5 speed auto is a great unit when regularly serviced. Parts will be inexpensive too.

I bought my mom a used 2009 Honda with the K24 hers currently has 47K miles on it. The previous owner was a 70 year old woman that only drove it to the grocery store and church etc. True story.. my mom is even worse driving it to the grocery store and doctor visits. I need to pull the plugs, im not sure its ever been on the highway more than 15 minutes. Hers has a whine in the power steering, i think there is an o-ring that fails in there.. I change her oil every year with about 1500 miles on it. I dont think she drives enough to consume any oil.

another vote for 09 here.

mine was subject to the airbag recall - not sure about later models. you might want to double check it was fixed before buying.

Last year, I bought my wife the 2014 CR-V. This was on purpose: K24 with the 5 speed auto (no CVT). Last year before the Earth Dreams and CVT "upgrade".

She loves it. We got an LX and with 34k miles on it, it was $18k with AWD. Nice car. I plan to have her run this until she can't take it anymore.

OP, avoid the 2015/16 model if you wish but I have yet to hear a report of "excessive oil consumption" or "carbon buildup". There were idle vibration issues in early 2015s, but that was pretty much resolved with a TSB. And don't let the CVT scare you off either: again I haven't seen a single report of CVT failure in a CRV or Accord.

We think our 2015 CRV is terrific and a significant upgrade from 2014 and prior with one exception: fuel dilution. This seems to be designed-in to the engine though the worst effects can be mitigated by using 93 octane fuel. But this may be reason enough to avoid the 15/16 model years. And if this worries you, don't even think about 2017/18s with the 1.5 T engine.

2013/14 should be a decent bet for you, but some of your concerns about later models may be misplaced.

The 2010 CRV we had was a really great car, we only traded it in because the wife was a nurse and burning up the miles. The '14 has been a good car as well.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Last year, I bought my wife the 2014 CR-V. This was on purpose: K24 with the 5 speed auto (no CVT). Last year before the Earth Dreams and CVT "upgrade".

She loves it. We got an LX and with 34k miles on it, it was $18k with AWD. Nice car. I plan to have her run this until she can't take it anymore.

Yeah thats what im hoping for is long term ownership.

Does yours have the startup rattle? i found a 130 page thread on crvownersclub about a startup rattle..starting my investigation into this now.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13-d...crv-accord.html

Originally Posted By: Danh
OP, avoid the 2015/16 model if you wish but I have yet to hear a report of "excessive oil consumption" or "carbon buildup". There were idle vibration issues in early 2015s, but that was pretty much resolved with a TSB. And don't let the CVT scare you off either: again I haven't seen a single report of CVT failure in a CRV or Accord.

We think our 2015 CRV is terrific and a significant upgrade from 2014 and prior with one exception: fuel dilution. This seems to be designed-in to the engine though the worst effects can be mitigated by using 93 octane fuel. But this may be reason enough to avoid the 15/16 model years. And if this worries you, don't even think about 2017/18s with the 1.5 T engine.

2013/14 should be a decent bet for you, but some of your concerns about later models may be misplaced.

Yes i think you are right, i have read off and on for about a week now and i should have made a crib sheet for all the years TSBs and issues LOL. I was going back and forth between the CR-V and the Rav4 pluses and minuses as well as the generation upgrades etc. I saw pictures of the 2017/2018 and it looks like they took some badging cues from the Ford F-series putting badges on the fenders. I am trying to stay somewhat to a budget of under $15K so that keeps the field somewhat narrow.

The K24 is a great engine, but you already knew that. My wife's 2006 TSX has 170K and I never check the oil.
One thing about certain years CR-V's...
I recently bought a 2008 LX with 140K for my twin nieces.
I had zero concerns about the drivetrain; it was factory serviced.
However, the AC did not work and had failed years ago.
I believe this was a problem and had a recall for certain years.
There is a good shop near my home in Silicon Valley, CA.
They replaced entire AC with a kit, 4 Goodyear Assurance tires, rear struts, alignment. $2500 was a good price.
Lifetime warranty on the AC.
I serviced the driveline and shipped the car to TX.
You will love the little CR-V. I liked it so much I wanna get one for myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Last but not least- no we dont want a Subaru or Mazda lol. and Happy Wife Happy Life! Am i on the right track here or have i missed something?

Can I suggest:
-Ford Flex (Big rectangle on wheels)
-Ford Taurus X
-Ford (actually more of a Volvo) Freestyle (CVT trans)

I unfortunately know nothing about the new Hondas

I have an '07 Element of similar mechanicals (not particularly high mileage, 120,000mi). It's been pretty darn bullet proof, other than some small items that I expect to replace on a Honda (lower control arm bushings, one ball joint, stabilizer bar end links all around). Engine is easy on oil, run any synthetic 8,000-10,000 miles easily. No oil usage so far. 5AT works great, very smooth and easy to perform fluid drain and fills. Coolant drain and fills are easy too. Low maintenance timing chain as well.

I don't know the AWD systems on those year CR-Vs, but if they're like the Element, they need Dual Pump II fluid every 30,000mi. Easy to tell if it needs replacement, make tight slow turns in the parking lot and you'll hear rumbling from the rear. Good negotiation point, easy $30 DIY fix.

^^Element/CR-V shared the same drivetrain.^^

I love our '08. Actually one of my favorite cars I've owned (I'm boring). Our's has been flawless since we got it with 75,000. Now has 116,000. Never uses any oil. And, for a Honda, is pretty quiet. Great trip car.

I wouldn't rule out an Element of the same vintage if it suited the wife. They're great cars too with lots of utilitarian features. I test drove a few before we bought the CR-V and would've been happy with one. I think the CR-V is a little more "refined". We get ~26 mpg in town and just shy of 30 on a 75 mph highway run. Does great in the snow.

Beware the so called "black death" of the A/C compressor. Our's is doing fine but it's always in the back of my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back