Pulled the trigger on the Beretta 92

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered the Beretta over the Taurus this weekend from Palmetto state armory. I called PSA and the rep told me their Beretta 92's were built in Italy, probably no difference but I just wanted the Italian model. I considered the used Police turn ins from Buds but after handling one, decided the sights were too small for my old eyes, so I decided to go with the new one for roughly $150 more. $450 shipped. Even the old used Beretta's felt good to me, and the slides and triggers were as "smoove as butta" for such an old pistol. Thanks for all the replies. Now for that shiny 1911....

...here I thought it was a thread about a Chevy Beretta/ Ford Taurus
crazy2.gif

You can't go wrong for that price for a new Italian 92. After you get it you can doll it up with some Walnut grips. I got these from CDNN Sports. They have them on sale from time to time for $19.99. They really look so much nicer than the black plastic factory grips. You can even use the same grip screws. You just don't need the star washers with them.

The 9 mm police trade ins would probably be Ok.
I wouldn't want a .40 Beretta trade in. I heard the .40 gets the same frame and the .40s tend not to take the beating.
The 92 is over engineered.
I think you will love it.
I fell in love with mine.

About the only suggestions I have for you is

Replace the safety/decocker of the 92FS with the 92G decocker only if you are going to carry it. The D hammer spring mod is also popular to make the double action pull nicer.

If the plastic bits bother you, Beretta makes a steel replacement parts set. I would do this mod, but its mostly for silly reasons.

I thought you meant a 1992 Chevy Beretta.....LOL!! I was like, "No way, those are all scrap by now"

Billt, I actually looked at the wood grips this morning at Field & Stream. Seeing yours made me want them for sure. Beretta has some nice ones as well, though they're $40 with free new Allen screws. I've seen pistols with the letters and numbers filled in like yours, with whiteout, nail polish etc, but not with the gold color. What did you use and what was the process? Your 92 looks great!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Billt, I actually looked at the wood grips this morning at Field & Stream. Seeing yours made me want them for sure. Beretta has some nice ones as well, though they're $40 with free new Allen screws. I've seen pistols with the letters and numbers filled in like yours, with whiteout, nail polish etc, but not with the gold color. What did you use and what was the process? Your 92 looks great!

I used a gold filler product called Bonanza Gold. (It is now called Forester Gold). They also make it in silver as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1100341951/forster-gold-inlay-filling-kit

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...y-prod6633.aspx

It's very easy to use, and holds up well to oils and solvents. It comes with the necessary gold fill powder. A cleaner / remover. And a adhesive. Here is a video that shows it being applied. I always use clear Scotch Tape to "box in" the area I'm going to be applying it. It helps keep it contained. What I did a bit differently was use a Q-Tip instead of the application pads they provide with the kit. You can control the application better, and you don't waste so much product.

I dip the clean Q-Tip in the adhesive, then dip that into some gold powder, (filler), on a piece of paper or cardboard. The powder liquefies almost instantly, and sticks to the Q-Tip. I then use the saturated Q-Tip to work it into the engraving / lettering. Immediately after filling the engraving / lettering, wipe off the excess with a pad soaked with the cleaner / solvent. Let it set up for a few minutes and your done.

Go on Beretta’s website and order the G kit and D spring, plus some spare mags. I have the Wilson Combat Beretta 92G and it would be the last pistol I ever sell.

If you want the best factory Beretta mags that don't stick out go with the 17 round ones. They were initially developed for the 90-Two but they work perfectly in all 92 F-FS full size.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I hope PSA gets your order out quicker than mine. Its been 10 days so far & its still 1000 miles away. Nice Gun btw.

The downside to ordering from that place is the seemingly endless shipping time. Everything involved with them makes a snail look like a Thoroughbred.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I hope PSA gets your order out quicker than mine. Its been 10 days so far & its still 1000 miles away. Nice Gun btw.

The downside to ordering from that place is the seemingly endless shipping time. Everything involved with them makes a snail look like a Thoroughbred.
Agreed, this is the third pistol I've ordered from PSA in the last 6 months. All have taken from 10 to 14 days and I'm only 3 hours North of them. It's definitely not the shipping company causing the delay.

Your gonna love the slide action on your Beretta.
Yes, that was one of the most appealing aspects of the Beretta for me. The slide has an almost precision feel to it. I picked it up at my FFL yesterday then ran about 75 rounds through it and the accuracy is amazing for a production, out of the box pistol. Not one hiccup! I’m still getting used to it, but so far I’m very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back