Fisker Battery - 500 mile range, 1 minute charging

Quote:

Lithium-ion continues to be the No. 1 choice for rechargeable batteries powering the gadgets in our pockets, the laptops in our bags, and the electric vehicles we drive. But we need new battery tech that's safer to use and offers much higher energy density. Automotive company Fisker may have the answer.

Fisker is best known for creating the Fisker Karma electric luxury sports sedan back in 2012 and now the EMotion. As Green Car Congress reports, Fisker this week filed a patent for a new solid-state battery. If it lives up to expectations, this battery will provide electric vehicles with a range of over 500 miles on a single charge. On top of that, recharging will only take a minute.

Read about it here:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/357356/fisker-battery-promises-500-mile-ev-range-1-minute-charging

LOL, they were the ones creating a molten lithium puddle a while ago weren't they ?

Please consider exactly HOW one would get the entire stream of energy to drive anything electric for 500 miles in one minute.

Look at the cables that connect your house to the grid...nope.

This stuff is great while someone else is paying your wages and you make ridiculous promises.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos...E95G02L20130617

If true, and if cost effective to manufacture, and the wiring or conduction-to-motor and other in-car systems is safe, then plug-in electric cars just became practical to the mainstream car buyer.
cool.gif

But wouldn't that fast of charging require Super Conductors? And don't those have to be cooled to almost 0 Kelvin or something ridiculous?

Shannow,

Yes it sounds far fetched but remember how big and useless batteries were 50 years ago and what they can do today. Look at fast-charge cell phones. My phone charges to 80% in 15 minutes. A few years ago this would take hours.

When I was having alternator problems I booted my car from something that fits in my pocket and did it multiple times on one charge.

Might be a pipe dream now but it's a start and you can't get anywhere without trying new directions.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
If true, and if cost effective to manufacture, and the wiring or conduction-to-motor and other in-car systems is safe, then plug-in electric cars just became practical to the mainstream car buyer.
cool.gif

But wouldn't that fast of charging require Super Conductors? And don't those have to be cooled to almost 0 Kelvin or something ridiculous?

I'm sure there are hurdles to get over but it will happen in time.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Shannow,

Yes it sounds far fetched but remember how big and useless batteries were 50 years ago and what they can do today. Look at fast-charge cell phones. My phone charges to 80% in 15 minutes. A few years ago this would take hours.

When I was having alternator problems I booted my car from something that fits in my pocket and did it multiple times on one charge.

Might be a pipe dream now but it's a start and you can't get anywhere without trying new directions.
wink.gif

I'll buy the 500 mile range on faith, but please, do the math on how much energy that takes and run it back...

And you think you can put that much into the battery in one minute?

At what voltage?

Power = Volts X Amps

To get that power into a car in 1 minute the voltage and/or amperage would need to be massive. The electro-magnetic fields generated would also be extremely high and probably not safe for routine exposure.

Let's assume we have moderate 100kW engine and we are using something like 25 kW to travel at 50 mph and therefore 10 hours to travel 500 miles.

Total energy consumption = 25000 x 60 x 60 x 10 = 900,000,000 Joules = 900 MJ
(that's 25KW x 60 sec in a min x 60 min in an hour x 10 hours)

To return that energy in 1 minute = 60 x voltage x amperage.

Let's assume a 1000 Volt supply that would still require a 15000 amp connection.

That is big, a house hold plug in Oz is 240 Volt at 10 amp with 15 amps or 32 amp for serious applications.

Someone can check my maths, but I would want a pair of earthed and conductive faraday cage undies before I charged up that battery.

Story should have been posted in the humour section.
And yes, I have significant experience running 100% Class 5 electric trucks as a basis for my comment.

Last edited:
A bit of googling suggest that 10kW is what is required to run an electric car at 100 km/h. Still you get the idea, that recharge rate looks like a lightning strike, regardless of the battery it's going into.

Yes I get by today's technology and math it doesn't seem possible but if we continue thinking this way instead of exploring we would never develop what seemed impossible just decades ago.
wink.gif

P.S. I went to school for computer engineering and have had to learn about voltage, current, resistance, heat loads and frequency. I get it.

Last edited:
The current Tesla battery is 100kwh I believe. I can see this happening for gas station like charging stations. It would be interesting to see the plug connectors. Biggest I've seen are around 800A rated.

I don't know why we can't have vehicles with quick battery exchange and you roll in, they swap out a battery for another one and viola. Like you would on a forklift. The price of the battery wear/tear is in the cost of filling up. If you fill up at home then you save and when the battery isn't giving the range any longer you go to a service station drop it there for another and keep going.

Last edited:
The only viable way to transfer energy to a vehicle that quickly is to fill the tank from the pump. Generally with your choice of hydrocarbon fuel.

Last edited:
Yes I get by today's technology and math it doesn't seem possible but if we continue thinking this way instead of exploring we would never develop what seemed impossible just decades ago.
wink.gif

P.S. I went to school for computer engineering and have had to learn about voltage, current, resistance, heat loads and frequency. I get it.

Sure, technology changes, but the math won't. Today's math is the same math as tomorrow's math, you still have to deal with the massive levels of current delivery and that is the difficult part here, as Shannow and others have pointed out.

They recharge using "Nano Electrons", they can penetrate between the atoms and move in the battery like a good quarterback against the opposing team.

I don't know why we can't have vehicles with quick battery exchange and you roll in, they swap out a battery for another one and viola. Like you would on a forklift. The price of the battery wear/tear is in the cost of filling up. If you fill up at home then you save and when the battery isn't giving the range any longer you go to a service station drop it there for another and keep going.

Yes, swap and go, that would work.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Yes, swap and go, that would work.

Auto battery swapping has been in the "near horizon" forever.
User critical mass, standardization of batteries, and infrastructure have been some of the hurdles. I see standardization as being one of the biggest hurdles as it seems batteries are designed into the car structure.
Works for forklifts as they are "captured" in a relatively small warehouse footprint with dedicated battery swap stations, and batteries are standardized.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Power = Volts X Amps

To get that power into a car in 1 minute the voltage and/or amperage would need to be massive. The electro-magnetic fields generated would also be extremely high and probably not safe for routine exposure.

Let's assume we have moderate 100kW engine and we are using something like 25 kW to travel at 50 mph and therefore 10 hours to travel 500 miles.

Total energy consumption = 25000 x 60 x 60 x 10 = 900,000,000 Joules = 900 MJ
(that's 25KW x 60 sec in a min x 60 min in an hour x 10 hours)

To return that energy in 1 minute = 60 x voltage x amperage.

Let's assume a 1000 Volt supply that would still require a 15000 amp connection.

That is big, a house hold plug in Oz is 240 Volt at 10 amp with 15 amps or 32 amp for serious applications.

Someone can check my maths, but I would want a pair of earthed and conductive faraday cage undies before I charged up that battery.

Yeah, even if you change it to a 10 minute charging time, the math still doesn't work out.

Sounds like some type of "capacitor" system.

Google this:

"capacitor instead of battery electric vehicles"

It's not unusual for someone to stretch the truth to sell their idea. Politicians do it all the time.

How many people do you know do the math? Most people just regurgitate what they hear.

Back