Car horns and siren sounds on car radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a great deal in Lincoln and Omaha area and listen to AM news radio mostly, have noticed a lot more radio commercials with car horns and sirens. AmCo transmissions has a commercial with lots of car honking, then there are some other commercials with sirens. I find it annoying when trying to drive. My instinct is to pull over or make a right turn at the next opportunity. The only thing I find more annoying is the impatient drivers who like to honk at me when I am sitting at a (no right turn) light. "NO I will not break the law and go through a no right turn red, so that they can get to Starbucks or McD's 40 seconds faster." I do not care how many times they honk.

One time, a guy called in our talk radio station about a commercial that had sirens. He was a truck driver and kept thinking he was getting pulled over. The guy running the board pulled up siren sounds the rest of the show.

It is an advertisement, and they are trying to get your attention. It worked !! That said, I personally boycott any business that does this cheap tactic in their advertisements.

I am not a fan of it either. A lot of times, I have a hard enough time hearing emergency vehicles as it is..

Decades ago some company employed a horribly shrill voice crying out the word, "MURDER". It was early in the morning on a VERY well established morning radio show.

They aired the commercial fewer that 5 times (one week).

I know because I was a lad and it was the station my parents listened too.

Another effect they use alot is the sound of "doorbells" ringing. The reason I mention that is, my dogs go nuts whenever our doorbell rings. So several times at night if the TV is on it gets them goin crazy.,,,

I remember a TV station and furniture store were fined by the FCC a few years ago for using the Emergency Alert siren in their ads.

Last edited:
There used to be a commercial on one of the kids channels that had a phone ringing with a ringtone just like my cell. Many times I would go hunt my phone down only to find it in my pocket

You reminded me of a local paint store's jingle which was punctuated with a telephone ring.

"Martin's Home Decorating Center....It ain't just (ring) paint".

Around here, if you're sitting at a "no right on red". people just drive around you as if the sign wasn't there.

I have only seen that happen once, I would categorize people who do that as simply "morons"

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Another effect they use alot is the sound of "doorbells" ringing. The reason I mention that is, my dogs go nuts whenever our doorbell rings. So several times at night if the TV is on it gets them goin crazy.,,,

+1

I hate this. Makes the dog bark every single time.

Originally Posted By: 2dogs
Around here, if you're sitting at a "no right on red". people just drive around you as if the sign wasn't there.

When we were in Texas, we had a woman drive over the sidewalk to get around us at a "no right turn on red". I still have a mental image of the 3 little kids in the back seat bouncing around as she bump, bump, bumped over the sidewalk and screeched away. I guess she was in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back