Can I mail dry battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I ordered classic car oem/repro batteries, they always came dry. You had to go out to your local hardware store and buy the acid to fill it. Clearly they didn't want to deal with shipping acid to you. Your best bet is to call your local postmaster for an answer. Bulk acid is shipped around in 55 gallon plastic drums, totes, etc via bulk carriers. I can't imagine anything good coming from the USPS shipping acid packets around the country....unless you can absolutely ensure than the container is so rugged, any type of compression or mishandling could not crush it open.

I wiki'd sulfuric acid in car batteries at 37% solution. The USPS regs you posted stated a 25% limit.

Thanks 69GTX, yeah there's a pack inside it which is acid pack and since it's a small motorcycle battery quantity is less, but I think need to check calling USPS.

They're shipped that way all the time if you order one, I can't imagine USPS or UPS not allowing it if packaged properly and declared.

I think that UPS delivers back-up batteries for APC units to us by mail which are filled lead acid.
21.gif

Last edited:
I buy my Deka/East Penn batteries already filled

(LOL, they are sealed)

so, now I am spoiled...
I don't care if I ever fill another battery with acid as long as I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back