do I need rental car in Oahu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to Hawaii in october for honeymoon, will be in Oahu for a week. I need some advice. I have the trip planned out and I'm about to book it. Should I get a rental car for the week there? The impression I'm getting is no, because it is so busy there and you have to pay to park anywhere. The hotel we'll be at has a shuttle service so that will cover us to and from the airport. I already have that planned, if I don't get a rental car. As for the rest of the week, just use public transportation? I'm hoping to hear from someone who has been to Oahu, and who can tell me the best way to get around. Thanks.

I have been to Hawaii several times and always get a car, but it is not absolutely necessary. I am renting a convertible in March, 2004 for a week for about $300 + taxes etc. You can get away with renting one for a day or two. You will probably want to drive around the island, see diamondhead etc. You can also take tours, but a car gives you some freedom. Read some guide books, see what you want to do and go from there.

dude - it's your honey moon...car??? You don't need a stinking car anymore
grin.gif
...what are you thinking??

(PS in-laws born there...you don't need a car)

Pablo is right, not only do you not need a car, you shouldn't need any clothes either, you should be spending your entire time either in bed or on the beach!
smile.gif

when we went we used public transportation in honolulu (and that nice old japanese gentleman who thumped us at golf gave us a ride too.)

when we hopped islands (to the one with kanapali (spl)) we rented a car, but only used it a bit.

i know it's your honeymoon, but you've got all the time in the world to, uh, enjoy each other's company, but i'm betting you don't get to hawaii that often. go snorkeling on one of the whale watching trips. body surf, play golf, swim, get outside.

if you ride a motorcycle, rent one. just watch out for the other tourists. everyone is driving around looking for whales and rainbows.

congratulations, and have fun!

Originally Posted By: Srt20
This has to be a record for longest dead thread brought back......

He's probably still walking around the island after forgoing the rental car.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Scienceman
I don't think you would.
Scienceman, did you create a time machine?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The rental car is probably rusted by now.

He could be divorced or dead by now. He hasn't even been on in the last 2 years.

Does UBer run around that island? Best choice in DC with family getting dropped and picked up recently, no parking or smelly transit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back