Coolant suggestion for 2008 Kia Sportage ? G-05?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I did some searching and there wasn't much information specifically related to older KIA models.
(I can deduce that Hyundai and KIA are interchangeable at this point.)

What would you recommend for a 2008 KIA Sportage? I've used Zerex G-O5 in my '94 Miata for years and it has been great.

Would G-05 pose a problem in the KIA for some reason? I know certain manufacturers have their reasons to use special coolants. The KIA manual is pretty vague.

Thank you!

I use Farm and Fleet Universal long life in my two Hyundais. Use to use the regular green F&F before.

In 2008 the factory AF was in all likelihood the older shorter service interval (~2years/30k mi) Asian PHOAT AF.

With a complete flush/exchange, no reason that G05 wouldn't work fine. Preferably the concentrated version G05, that way you can do some radiator distilled water d&fs till clear. Then add half system capacity full strength G05 and top with distilled water.

Another available choice is PepBoys OEM brand concentrate Asian AF. It's a Long Life Asian PHOAT. If you have a PB nearby, it's ~$15/gallon in store which you can check availability online. If not PB @ ebay will ship it to you for ~$17.60/gal, shown here. The green tint matches Kia/Hyun tint. Most of the Asian AFs, oem and aftermarket come as premix, so PB OEM is nice for complete flush and has the newer longer service interval.

Hyun/Kia tends to be vague in the OM about AF type. Other makes that used to be vague are now getting more specific in the OM.

The OM of my 2008 Elantra was very vague about coolant as some others have noted. I use regular green PEAK and change it every 2 years.
THe OE water pump looked like new when changed at approx. 75K. Now that the car is far away from home (with my daughter), I may flush and fill it with a LL coolant like PB OEM or PGL so I don't have to change it as often.

Thanks for the all the suggestions guys. I plan on a full flush and replacement. I always use distilled water and it's worked very well in the Miata. The PB OEM brand ASIAN FLUID looks good. Of the two, what would your preference based on the chemistry??

I guess I'm a little confused about "Japanese" coolants vs. G-05 variants. One has silicates ant not the other?

^^^^^ Both are H/OATs of a sort. The Asians AFs use P, phosphate, no silicates. G-05 uses some (low) silicates, no phosphate. While both would work with a complete flush, of the two for topic vehicle I'd stick with the Asian AF.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^^^ Both are H/OATs of a sort. The Asians AFs use P, phosphate, no silicates. G-05 uses some (low) silicates, no phosphate. While both would work with a complete flush, of the two for topic vehicle I'd stick with the Asian AF.
Thank you very much for helping me understand this. I can appreciate the low silica content of the newer Asian formulas. I've also noticed that Zerex makes an Asian formula. Apparently this is sold at Walmart. Any preference to this over the Pep Boys brand? One good thing is that I will be able to see the colored coolant/antifreeze much better through the recovery tank.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
.. I can appreciate the low no silicate content of the newer Asian formulas....
Corrected that for you. Asian AFs are no silicate AFs. G-05 is low silicate.

Quote:
I've also noticed that Zerex makes an Asian formula. Apparently this is sold at Walmart. Any preference to this over the Pep Boys brand? One good thing is that I will be able to see the colored coolant/antifreeze much better through the recovery tank.
Actually the Asian AF sold at WM is called Valvoline Asian Vehicle. It is the same as ZAF though, just usually less expensive.

One thing to keep in mind, like most Asian AFs it only comes as a premix. Makes doing a complete flush more difficult. For that reason and better value for a concentrate still prefer the PB OEM.

.. I can appreciate the low no silicate content of the newer Asian formulas....
Corrected that for you. Asian AFs are no silicate AFs. G-05 is low silicate.

Quote:
I've also noticed that Zerex makes an Asian formula. Apparently this is sold at Walmart. Any preference to this over the Pep Boys brand? One good thing is that I will be able to see the colored coolant/antifreeze much better through the recovery tank.
Actually the Asian AF sold at WM is called Valvoline Asian Vehicle. It is the same as ZAF though, just usually less expensive.

One thing to keep in mind, like most Asian AFs it only comes as a premix. Makes doing a complete flush more difficult. For that reason and better value for a concentrate still prefer the PB OEM.

You rock! Thank you for your advice. I I think the Kia would do well with the Asian formula. I'm right there with you when it comes to Flushing the system with distilled water and getting the maximum mileage out the product. I purposely buy the full strength G-05 because of this.

I bought the car used, so not sure what is currently in the system, and therefore I will do a complete flush.

I guess the PB stuff will work just as well as the Valvoline and Zerek brands. Color is not a factor correct?

Compared to the G-05, do you think the Asian formulas are just as long-lasting?

Thanks for you help! I know... I ask too many questions! LoL.

Last edited:
^^^^Other than being nice to match the OEM vehicle AF, tint means nothing. Not a reliable indicator of chemistry, AF type.

The new Asian AFs are Long Life, long service interval AFs. Just as long lasting as G-05. Generally they state at least 5 years/50k miles. PB OEM states 5 years up to 150k mi., but the latter figure seems optimistic to me.

Not trying to convince you what use. ZAF/VAV premix will work too. I just prefer the OEM brand concentrate here.

^^^^Other than being nice to match the OEM vehicle AF, tint means nothing. Not a reliable indicator of chemistry, AF type.

The new Asian AFs are Long Life, long service interval AFs. Just as long lasting as G-05. Generally they state at least 5 years/50k miles. PB OEM states 5 years up to 150k mi., but the latter figure seems optimistic to me.

Not trying to convince you what use. ZAF/VAV premix will work too. I just prefer the OEM brand concentrate here.

Thank you Sir for the clarification and knowledge!! I really appreciate this as it's been somewhat confusing understanding all the different formulas. KIA does not help with their lack of specific requirements. I will score some PB Asian and get the job done. Thanks again!!

Stopped by a local Pep Boys this evening after work. Not an ounce of the PB OEM Coolant in sight.

Looks like I'll try another store or call ahead.

Is the Pep Boys coolant labeled as "Asian" or just "long Life Green"? Walmart carries the Valvoline Pre-mix for less money... Apparently, their website shows they don't carry the ZEREX brand anymore. The Valvoline jug says: "ZEREX technology" Is this a licensing thing?

Is the Pep Boys coolant labeled as "Asian" or just "long Life Green"?
"Long Life Green" would generally be taken to mean conventional green IAT AF which uses silicates, Asian AFs don't. PB OEM Concentrate green tint definitely not that. It's Asian AF with no silicate, borates, nitrites & amines as described HERE.

Quote:
Walmart carries the Valvoline Pre-mix for less money... Apparently, their website shows they don't carry the ZEREX brand anymore.
Afaik, WM never carried ZAF at least in this area. While it's price is less, it's half water so it really costs significantly more than PB OEM concentrate. The WM VAV ~$12/gal cost would mean equivalent AF concentrate would have to cost ~$24/gal. Even the PepBoys on ebay shipped price of PB OEM $17.67/gal is less compared to similar quantity VAV AF premix. If local PB store(s) don't carry it (which one can check online), PBebay shipped an option.

Quote:
The Valvoline jug says: "ZEREX technology" Is this a licensing thing?
Since Zerex generally recognized as AF branch of company, Valvoline likely just advertising that name on the VAV jug. As noted earlier in this thread ZAF and WM VAV is the same AF. With the caveats previously noted in prior posts, VAV premix is an option.

I have two relatives with late model Kias. I just use green AMAM. Anything but Dex-Cool would be fine if you’re flushing the system.

Quote:
I just use green AMAM. Anything but Dex-Cool ....

If AMAM is Universal All Makes All Models, they use the same 2eha inhibitor found in DexCool. Won't find 2eha in any Asian AF, including those mentioned in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back