Gift ideas-what to ask for

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time again... I always struggle to come up with ideas when people ask what I want.
I'll be going off to college next fall, so any ideas there are welcome.

I like working on cars, like many on here, and got a mechanics tool set a couple years back.
I got a jumpstarter/compressor last year. And I have a ton of soap/waxes/tire dressings/protectants.
I don't want to ask for things like oil/filters but I think tools/gadgets/new cool items would be OK.

Any other general ideas? Or what other automotive-related or driving-related items can anyone think of?

There's a variety of price ranges here. Like some $15-20 things and some in the $50-75 range.
Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Good idea.
And I don't like asking for things but people want to know what to give as we do gift exchanges on both sides of the family. Apparently they want to get going soon.

Specialty tool; an oil filter wrench, flex magnetic spark plug socket, or other funky tool only your car needs, that you just haven't gotten around to buying yet. There's probably one in each price range.

There are an infinite number of pliers types to choose from.

Cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YQ7RWCW

Middling:
https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-82106-Piece-Double-Pliers/dp/B0014ZXWP0

Kinda Pricey:
https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-82107-Piece-Double-Pliers/dp/B0012S99ZQ

I find Amazon gift lists more useful than trying to give brand and model numbers.

But indeed, I am better at giving than receiving; I've given exact gift list contents to family members for about a decade, only to receive zero from my list back. That was OK for a decade, but now I just say "I have everything I need, and I'm not buying any gifts outside my immediate family because all my money goes to my kids private school; but you can get my kids some toys, if you really want to give something." That seems to work much better.

Depends on what the budget is.

Like already mentioned a speciality tool or two would be good.

OBD II scanner with ABS? led work light?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Going to college?

Id ask for necessities to get through.

Agreed.

Get college/dorm related stuff. No need to worry too much about the car side of life. I gave my brother a very basic 3/8 set, 4 way lug wrench, jumper cables and compressor. He didn't need anymore then that because if he did i would of told him to go to a shop. Its not worth your time, just enjoy college.

My friends thru out the year have learned to NOT buy me tools or car related stuff. Not to be a snob but its either going to be something i already have, something of less quality then i normally get or something i have no need for. Now i get nothing which i'm very much happy about. I do like some of the random shirts i get from target or walmart, good working on car type of shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back