Testing continuity on thermal dishwasher, help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I am not super familiar with using a digital voltmeter to test for stuff. My dishwasher is a Kitchen Aid unit that just didn't light up today.. Long story short my oven stopped working a few months back (under 10 year old Jenn Air and yesterday my fridge was acting up and this morning my stove).. when it rains it pours I guess. Im now pretty fed up with Whirlpool in general. 10 years is now too much to ask for stuff to last.

Ok let me get to the point... upon research my dishwasher seems to have a common failure point as the thermal fuse failing. So I removed it from my dishwasher and put the test leads to each end. lowest ohm setting per youtube video I followed.. the numbers started off high but once maintained onto the fuse showed me a result of 00.4 This is at 200 setting on my digital meter. Does this mean its good or bad? If I am doing something wrong, would appreciate someones input! Thanks!

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
just use a wire and jump the thermal fuse . if everything works then that the issue

What kind of wire?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
just use a wire and jump the thermal fuse . if everything works then that the issue

What kind of wire?

a paper clip will do. thermal fuses look just like a diode . just bypass it and see if it starts working

Use a solid (not stranded) 14 or 12 gauge wire. The wire used to wire plugs/switches is high enough current rating for that test.

Last edited:
Are you sure your home did not experience a surge?

You can verify power is getting to the dishwasher with your DVM.

But to do much more than basic checkout you will need the schematic for the unit and be able to understand it which I assume you are not up to.

If over 10 yrs old get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back