This is What Should Replace the ICON A5 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mvp.aero/

Still vaporware at this point. But pretty doggone cool !! How about the ability to pitch the built-in hammock between rear of cabin and vert stab , or pop the canopy back, set one of the seats up like a bass boat chair and go fishing?

While infinitely cool, I don't see how they're going to make it all work within LSA weight limits.

I saw the mock-up in person at the Midwest LSA Expo in September 2014 or 15, forget which year I went. I had gone to check out the Jabiru J230D that Evans Aviation there (KMVN) sells. The MVP booth had a lot of interest.

Originally Posted By: Danno
How big is the market (USA/World) for a $300,000+ LSAs?

No idea, but the MVP looks like $189K . . .

Until they get into production realities as did ICON. Then it will be $300K+. Check back in 2 years and we'll see who's right - if they ever get one out the door.

I think Halladay paid closer to $400K for his Icon. ($389,000.00 I believe). Both the Icon, as well as this "MVP" contraption come with a Rotax engine. You would think for that price they would include the proven, and all but timeless reliability of a Lycoming or a Continental light aircraft engine.

I know Rotax has made a name for itself in the snowmobile and ultralight aircraft industry. But for that price you should for certain be getting the real deal. Another thing about these things are the limited airframe life. Icon never specified just how long the life was either. And you can only have inspections and maintenance performed at Icon service centers. That puts the buyer at their complete financial mercy. Not too inviting when you are already paying through the nose just to get in the thing. I just don't see how they can possibly sell enough of these things at that exorbitant price to remain financially viable over the long haul. Especially after the Halladay crash. Anyone new in the market is going to experience the same financial and legal hurdles.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Until they get into production realities as did ICON. Then it will be $300K+. Check back in 2 years and we'll see who's right - if they ever get one out the door.

Dog gone reality checks, takes all the fun out it !!
laugh.gif

Speaking of small airplanes, saw a single engine FedEx airplane today. Talk about small, and a cargo plane to boot. Not far away was a huge UPS cargo plane. What a difference. The UPS one had three engines.

Last edited:
That UPS jet is an old DC-10. Didn't know any of those were still in service.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
That UPS jet is an old DC-10. Didn't know any of those were still in service.

UPS and Fed Ex still fly and maintain a large fleet of DC-10's. While fuel costs are more than the twins, purchase price and parts are cheap. And the planes operating cost per mile is still is still quite reasonable for them to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back