Battery Chargers - Schumacher, Stanley, Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hi,

It seems like the Schumacher brand doesn't get much respect, when doing a past search on this site.

Of those 3 brands (if all are indeed separate companies), which would you choose?

Looking for general charger, have some deep cycle marine batteries to maintain and any impending auto issues.

Thanks.

I currently have an older 6 amp Schumacher manual charger, just want to get something with a minimum of 10 amp charging.

None of the above, although I still have an old Schumacher and its fine for what it is.

My current pick is a Prologix Solar smart charger/maintainer. Has a very good 7-stage charge/desulphate/maintain profile that has resurrected batteries that wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day using the old manual Schumacher.

Also if you choose to leave a battery on it for months at a time, it doesn't constantly apply voltage like a typical "maintainer," which can lead to sulphation. It just monitors most of the time, then periodically will put a light load on the battery for a while, then re-charge it.

I've had my Schumacher for 12 years now not any problems. They have a pretty nice one at Walmart at the moment at least at my local store. Mine is 2/10 amp and an Auto/manual unit. The one at Wally world was pretty much the same $59.

I bought a 6 amp Stanley last summer and it worked pretty good until my brother hooked it up backwards to a battery (supposed to be able to take it, obviously can't). So I ordered the ProLogix that 440Magnum posted above. Really like this charger!

I have an older Schumacher buzz box identical to the one in the picture. I mostly just leave it on 10 amp mode, but sometimes use the 30/50 amp boost setting. It does the job for the most part. another bonus is if it's raining or snowing out and I need to charge a battery, I can just stick the charger under the hood. if I need more, I use the rolling battery charger that is 2/15/50/250 amp and 12v/6v. (Both chargers are fully manual, but I monitor both charging amperage and voltage)

Last edited:
Not on your list but I'm having good luck with BatteryMinder chargers (not to be confused with Battery Tender) They have settings for various battery types and a temp sensor that allows an internal circuit to adjust the charging rate to keep batteries from getting too hot while charging. They also have a desulfating mode that I question whether it actually works but they charge batteries very well. Adjustable for 2, 4, or 8 Amps which is a bit below your 10 Amp requirement.

An old iron-core manual or semi-automatic Schumacher is good to keep in the garage because it is best at (attempting to) revive a battery that has been run down completely dead. The fancy digital stuff often refuses to charge at all. Maintaining a battery in storage is a different situation that calls for a completely different machine.

Does anyone know if the Stanley and Peak are actually Schumacher? Just throwing out some common brands that I see at Walmart, Menards, Fleet Farm, etc.

I have to admit that Solar Prologic is tempting.... if I could save some money and get a reliable unit with these other brands, I would probably go in that direction.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
My current pick is a Prologix Solar smart charger/maintainer.

I'm looking for a good solar powered battery charger. So this one isn't solar powered even though it's in the name?

Originally Posted By: mk378
An old iron-core manual or semi-automatic Schumacher is good to keep in the garage because it is best at (attempting to) revive a battery that has been run down completely dead. The fancy digital stuff often refuses to charge at all. Maintaining a battery in storage is a different situation that calls for a completely different machine.

Pretty simple way around that. Wire a battery with some charge in it in parallel with the dead battery and charger. Let the charger start working, then after a few minutes remove the extra battery from the circuit. The charger will take it from there. You just need some initial voltage to get the charger going.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have experience with CTEK and Noco and have been happy with those.

+1. I own both, and both are good.
However, I prefer the CTEK, as I find it easier to use.

I have had the Stanley 25 Amp/75 amp charger now for about three years and it has been very reliable.

I would never buy another Schumacher as I have had two them that have failed and their specs are over rated.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
My current pick is a Prologix Solar smart charger/maintainer.

I'm looking for a good solar powered battery charger. So this one isn't solar powered even though it's in the name?

Correct. I don't know why they put 'Solar' in the name, maybe the company started out making solar chargers.

SOLAR is just a brand name that Clore Automotive owns. I agree it's confusing because their chargers have nothing to do with solar power.
smile.gif

The PL2320 I own is a great charger though.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Not on your list but I'm having good luck with BatteryMinder chargers (not to be confused with Battery Tender) They have settings for various battery types and a temp sensor that allows an internal circuit to adjust the charging rate to keep batteries from getting too hot while charging. They also have a desulfating mode that I question whether it actually works but they charge batteries very well. Adjustable for 2, 4, or 8 Amps which is a bit below your 10 Amp requirement.

+1 for BatteryMinder. I have several, some smaller for maintaining and some larger for charging and maintaining. They are high quality and I probably have one or two in use all the time for various batteries.

Correct. I don't know why they put 'Solar' in the name, maybe the company started out making solar chargers.

Yes, and trying to Google them for a place to buy or reviews or manuals or whatever on that brand turns out to be a horrific nightmare without a model number.
wink.gif

Id go prologix for a charger and a temperature compensated battery minder as a maintainer.

My gripe with Schumacher is that it too easily drives the overpotential too high. 15.6-16.1 v is common.

For Flooded, I use a everready brand I bought from walmart tire,
it has regen (desulfation), 3 stage automatic,
I have had it for 10 years now and works fine and my flooded batteries are going great, I am about to change out my 07 ridgeline's original battery this winter,
I charge them with this charger monthly and regen every 3 months or so.
I think this one cost me $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back