Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 D1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
What car and engine and how many miles?

Iron and Silicon numbers are great.

VOA, straight from the new bottle.

They sure dropped the calcium... from 2300+ to under 1000ppm.

Thin 30 weight. Nice strong flash. Interesting. Thanks for the post.

If this is the shape of PP to come, I'll be trying to stock up on the old stuff before it becomes unobtainable. Not very impressive imo other than boron. Not far from a strong 20 grade.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
If this is the shape of PP to come, I'll be trying to stock up on the old stuff before it becomes unobtainable. Not very impressive imo other than boron. Not far from a strong 20 grade.

This is the shape of just about everything to come, not just PP.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

There are non ash detergents in the oil. Molakule has said somewhere that calcium and magnesium are secondary detergents. I don't know how long that's been the case.

The same thing goes for new HD diesel oils with lower ZDDP. They didn't just lower the ZDDP, they're using stuff we can't see in UOAs to enhance the formulas.

Time will tell I guess, but I think all of these new oils are going to get the job done just fine. I'm putting my faith in low ZDDP HDDEO already and I will be using the new PCMOs (Dexos gen 2) without a worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
they're using stuff we can't see in UOAs to enhance the formulas.

So, when will UOAs get improved to where they will start to show the unseen stuff?

The new oils are all getting thinner and this PP is another example of that. I have not been a Pennzoil user but the 0w-20 grade of the new PP could be a nice choice for the Mazzy. A nice slug of boron to boot as well.

Thanks bigj_16 for sending in this sample.

Thanks for the VOA!
As many of the research papers shared on this site concluded, in part, calcium levels directly effect LSPI. Oil companies agree and are adjusting in kind by significantly lowering those levels. Another significant difference is the higher flash point.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Thanks for the VOA!
As many of the research papers shared on this site concluded, in part, calcium levels directly effect LSPI. Oil companies agree and are adjusting in kind by significantly lowering those levels. Another significant difference is the higher flash point.

I'm curious if the higher flash is to help with valve stem seepage, that some suggest could contribute to valve deposits.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: wemay
Thanks for the VOA!

I'm curious if the higher flash is to help with valve stem seepage, that some suggest could contribute to valve deposits.

Excellent point.

wemay,

I just went over to Valvoline’s site to check their flash point but sadly they don’t list it. Any other sources for that info?

This is odd. The d1G2 reformulation made the 5w-30 thinner and the 0w-20 thicker, to the point the two grades are separated by only 1.0-1.2 cSt @ 100C. What's the point?

But as Parshisa said, a great substitute for 0w-20 in DI Hondas.

Last edited:
Two other dexos1 Gen 2 oils with higher 100C viscosities are M1 5W30 AP and Pennzoil's own Gold 5W30 blend, both around 11.7cSt.
Strangely enough, Pennzoil's own data suggested that the flashpoint for this PP would not be very high...

The 100C viscosity from the VOA is very close to Pennzoil's value.

Thanks wemay for that comparison. On the Pennzoil Gold comparison the MRV viscosity changed quite a bit. Is it bigger numbers or lower numbers that are better in that category?

Another reason I am considering the Pennnzoil Platinum G2 is that it has the Honda HTO-06 certification. There are not very many 0w-20 oils that carry that. While my car doesn’t have a turbo, that certificate is impressive and should be able to handle other deposits better than a oil without the certificate. Of course, I just might be overthinking this. Normal for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back