filter with 4 inlet holes for 4.6L V8!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my next oil change i am going to try MANN FILTER W920/45,

but that 4 inlets makes me hesitant as it may restrict flow of this big engine, what do you think?

5e20ae2s-960.jpg

B0djVSk4BqU7.jpg

Hi ZZman
I agree, even filters designed for smaller engines have more inlets!
I am not sure what is the point here

BTW this filter fit LR3 2004-2009 according to MANN FLITER catalogue, distributed in Europe only I believe.

Last edited:
The total area of the four inlet holes looks to be equivalent to the interior of the main oil tube, so good to go.
Of course precise measurements would validate.

Oh no, we must override the engineers intent! They are stupid, and will purposely market a filter that will restrict flow and damage your engine!
I suggest you go to the nearest drill press and make 4 more holes.

Good grief, so many chicken littles with their sky falling over filter holes and louvers, with zero damage done to engines anywhere.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Oh no, we must override the engineers intent! They are stupid, and will purposely market a filter that will restrict flow and damage your engine!

Good grief, so many chicken littles with their sky falling over filter holes and louvers, with zero damage done to engines anywhere.

those engineers did not list FORD V8 engines in the applications chart! but they do with other smaller engines that fit the fl820s!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil

Good grief, so many chicken littles with their sky falling over filter holes and louvers, with zero damage done to engines anywhere

Clearly you don't get it. The area of the of holes (or insert louvers here if you wish) doesn't matter, only the number.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Dubai_guy
those engineers did not list FORD V8 engines in the applications chart!

OK, don't use it then.

just edited my post

I would bet those holes are at least 6mm flow each giving 24mm of inlet (the ones I just measured have 4.5x9mm holes inc the plate) and single 22mm outlet how can you have starvation?
This engine does not use a high volume or high pressure pump, a small 4 cylinder probably has more flow and pressure because of the RPM's they run at.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/vehicle/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Vehicles/CARS%20%2B%20TRANSPORTERS/FORD/Explorer%20II/4.6%20V8%20(T22468)

4.6 V8
10/00 →
Air Filter

Oil Filter
W 920/45
W 920/45

Accessories
Fuel Filter

The four hole M&H German made spin on is a standard design for them. As for restriction, I doubt it. As long as the total area of the inlet holes is equal to or more than the total area of the interior of the engine block filter mounting stud, shouldn't be an issue. My speculation would be that it is.

I suppose if you don't trust that, use a different brand filter.

Likely big enough. A new engine with less than 75~100,000 miles could prolly live with just one inlet hole the size of their four. In terms of gallons/min, engines just don't go through that much oil at cruise or in traffic.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Likely big enough. A new engine with less than 75~100,000 miles could prolly live with just one inlet hole the size of their four. In terms of gallons/min, engines just don't go through that much oil at cruise or in traffic.

I agree they are probably big enough, but don't agree with the rest of the statement. Have you ever seen how much oil an engine will pump? Had an oil hose failure on a Ford 5.4 that pretty much emptied the engine in less than 5 seconds.

Last edited:
They could have a high volume pump and then use the filter with limited holes to build back pressure for some reason. Who knows what the engineers were thinking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I would bet those holes are at least 6mm flow each giving 24mm of inlet (the ones I just measured have 4.5x9mm holes inc the plate) and single 22mm outlet how can you have starvation?
This engine does not use a high volume or high pressure pump, a small 4 cylinder probably has more flow and pressure because of the RPM's they run at.

I agree, the reason behind trying this filter is the poor ADBV in FL820S, as i experience the startup noise in most cold starts.

also I was thinking (not anymore) this Mann Filter may cause another issue (starvation on the top of engine) at start ups due to less inlet compared the the OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: Trav
https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/vehicle/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Vehicles/CARS%20%2B%20TRANSPORTERS/FORD/Explorer%20II/4.6%20V8%20(T22468)

4.6 V8
10/00 →
Air Filter

Oil Filter
W 920/45
W 920/45

Accessories
Fuel Filter

well this is clear evidence, must be updated recently.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The four hole M&H German made spin on is a standard design for them. As for restriction, I doubt it. As long as the total area of the inlet holes is equal to or more than the total area of the interior of the engine block filter mounting stud, shouldn't be an issue. My speculation would be that it is.

I suppose if you don't trust that, use a different brand filter.

thanks for the helpful inputs

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

thanks for the helpful inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back