berryman engine oil extender

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed this on the berryman website not having seen it before thought i would share.

I looked over the SDS and found out what it contains but it is a foreign language to me.
Petroleum Oil... 64742-65-0... 45-55%
Polybutylene Succinimide confidential... 9-12%
Dialkylated Diphenylamine... 68411-46-1... 6-10%
Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate proprietary... 2-5%
Organomolybdenum Complex proprietary... 1-2%
https://www.berrymanproducts.com/product...in-spreadsheet/
https://www.berrymanproducts.com/assets/X10-1210-SDS.pdf

Stick with the correct oil for your vehicle. Trust the manufacturer's spec's for the oil. Trust the oil to do its job without interference like this. Keep things simple.

Thank you for trying. Yes, we understand that you're not adding it to your own oil/crankcase.

However, all of us having gained the knowledge from being members here at BITOG, we now know that these additives are marketing snake oils and you too will learn in time to only use the oils that belongs in your vehicle and leave it alone at that.

Before coming to BITOG, I didn't know, what I didn't know. Now I do!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Snake oil in a colorful can.
thumbsup2.gif

Powerful Wallet Lightener now with added "Feel Good".
lol.gif

Last edited:
The contents list describes families of compounds that are all recognised oil additives, so it doesn't justify the knee jerk "snake oil" description.

It seems quite possible this stuff could replace some depleted additives and do some good.

However, these additives interact in complex, and sometimes negative ways which no one fully understands, and this stuff cannot have been tested against all the possible used oils that it could be mixed with, so its effects probably can't be confidently predicted.

This means you are probably better off spending your money on changing your oil.

Last edited:
If they had put it in a car and then drained out all the oil, took the rocker covers off and hit the engine with water and sand while it was running I would order it for sure.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Heck you could drain 2 quarts of oil and add 2 fresh quarts and achieve the same if not better effect.
lol.gif
What a scam!

Well, Stevie, draining out only 2 quarts would be pretty messy (unless that was all that was left in the crankcase), but even a modestly-committed BITOGer could do a complete oil and filter change, with year-end clearance $2/qt. synthetic and a decent filter, for less.

Last edited:
It is 2,000 to 5,000 PPM of ZDDP and healthy does of Moly. In a light Phos LE oil, this could be the answer for older flat tappet engines. Depends on what's in your stash ...

Exactly, or even just change the filter. Oil extender?? LOL!! And I thought that Castro Magnatec with "smart molecules" was funny. How does one extend the oil??? Seriously??? LOL

As far as additives go, and I dislike additives in a large way, as was already pointed out, this stuff at least has some useful ingredients. Whether they're in a good mix or whether it's wise to mess with a fully formulated oil is another matter. However, it's clearly not just some thickener like we see with other products. A VOA would be fun to look at.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Exactly, or even just change the filter. Oil extender?? LOL!! And I thought that Castro Magnatec with "smart molecules" was funny. How does one extend the oil??? Seriously??? LOL

There's truth to Magnatec. This stuff OTOH is a better STP.

But for how much Berryman charges for this, for $10 more a quick lube is a better value.

Might be OK but too expensive for sure.

I have always thought there should be an additive top off for use when you need to go an extra 1000-2000 miles before an OC, when you have to delay for some reason. As is, just an extra quart of oil boosts the adds enough to get by, mostly.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It is 2,000 to 5,000 PPM of ZDDP and healthy does of Moly. In a light Phos LE oil, this could be the answer for older flat tappet engines. Depends on what's in your stash ...

That's what I was thinking. It might be just the ticket for some of the older engines needing an extra shot of ZDDP and a side order of moly. A VOA would be interesting.

I looked over the SDS and found out what it contains but it is a foreign language to me.

Petroleum Oil... 64742-65-0... 45-55% (Group II neutral oil)
Polybutylene Succinimide confidential... 9-12% (VII and dispersant)
Dialkylated Diphenylamine... 68411-46-1... 6-10% (Antioxidant)
Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate proprietary... 2-5% (ZDDP - Anti-Wear)
Organomolybdenum Complex proprietary... 1-2% )(MoDTC, friction Modifier)

All of the above will be found in engine oils off the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back