DOCSIS 3.1 and Gbit speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Welp after owning my SB6190 for a year it's time to upgrade again since I received a notice from TWC that 1Gbps internet speeds are available in my area. It also noted that I need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem despite the SB6190 supporting 1.2Gbps speeds (D3.1 uses narrower channel spacing so it requires a different tuner hardware, etc.)

Right now there are only 3 DOCSIS cable modems out from ARRIS, Netgear and Motorola and they use a Broadcom chipset vs the old Intel Puma chipset which some people are claiming it's problematic.

Since I'm familiar with ARRI's products I'll pickup their SB8200 and slap a fan on it and we'll see if I can reach those delicious gigabit speeds.

May I ask what you do/ why you need or desire a speed that high? Just curious. I have comcast 25mb plan and that's probably to much for me by myself lol

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
From what I heard if you want to stream 4K HDTV you will need a very high speed.

4k on Netflix or Amazon will stream fine with a 25 meg connection, better with 50+.

300mb down and up is fine. I have AT&T gigapower and I didn't need to go with the full 1gb.

And oilBabe is big into streaming...
I d/l patch sets and software that runs in the multiple gbs.

Such speeds are nice for work at home scenarios.

From what I heard if you want to stream 4K HDTV you will need a very high speed.

I do it on a 50/10 VDSL connection that is always busy with network traffic but I do it with good quality gigabit switch and PFSense router, not consumer stuff which has consistently let me down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xshoex
May I ask what you do/ why you need or desire a speed that high? Just curious. I have comcast 25mb plan and that's probably to much for me by myself lol

Just for shorter download times for huge game files since most games sizes are already 70+GB in size. Right now they haven't released pricing for the 1Gig service but I'm content with the 300/20 speeds I have now. Getting the modem now is great for futureproofing and getting the latest modem hardware.

The new modems are using Broadcom's BCM3390 vs Intel's laggy Puma chipset thats in the SB6190 I have now, heck even modem manufacturers are avoiding the intel chipset.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/

Last edited:
Don't forget a lot of servers throttle download for fairness so while you might have a gigabit connection you might not get full download speeds you are capable of receiving everywhere.

It's great though for congested networks with multiple users downloading from multiple servers and streaming all at the same time.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I do it on a 50/10 VDSL connection that is always busy with network traffic but I do it with good quality gigabit switch and PFSense router, not consumer stuff which has consistently let me down.

I have no issue with 4k on consumer grade wireless router and switch (TP Link AC1900 and ethernet with a $50 gigabit switch). I have 100/5 speed from cable. Typically the 4k another two computers run 1080p while I chatting away on video conferencing.

I floored cheap stuff actually works.

I'm just glad we finally got a decent upload here..

Had 1/15, then was paying extra for 5/30

now "free" update to 10/100.

The 100MBIT down is great but the 10mbit up is much more needed.

I'd probably pay another 10-15$ a month for 100/100 or 50/300 but
in the TWC/Spectrum NE OHIO we have nothing faster available than the base 10/100.

I have the SB6183 so IIRC I'm good for upto 100/300

Yeah I don't know what it is with ISP's being stingy on the upload speeds and forcing you into a higher plan to get a decent one. I have 50/10 service currently and the 10 is painful for uploading to my data center for backup.

Yeah I don't know what it is with ISP's being stingy on the upload speeds and forcing you into a higher plan to get a decent one. I have 50/10 service currently and the 10 is painful for uploading to my data center for backup.

Asymmetrical speeds mean lower total band allocation, which is in theory, cheaper for the ISP. Since most consumers primarily download, this is generally the angle taken. If you've got 60Mbit total for a given range, breaking that up as 50/10 is generally the preferred method by your typical end-user rather than 30/30, in which the upstream portion of it will be rarely, if ever, used to its potential.

I was given the option as to how I'd like it split back when I had VDSL for example, by my ISP, who I was working closely with.

Wish I had the option... I could go with Rogers Cable which has higher upload speeds but we all know how they are.... No thanks.

Wish I had the option... I could go with Rogers Cable which has higher upload speeds but we all know how they are.... No thanks.

I'm actually quite fond of Rogers, I have several of their fiber installs and also use their SIP trunking service extensively. They just gave us a "free" upgrade to 200/200 at a couple of our sites and actually reduced our bill from what we'd been paying for 100/100.

Yeah had them when we first moved in and the billing was a mess and then they had a problem out on the lines on the pole (overhead) and kept blaming our setup. I even plugged the modem direct into a freshly formatted PC and they were still blaming us this went on for months until other neighbors also started complaining and then they finally came and replace the distribution amp creating the problem. Then there is getting someone that doesn't speak proper English most of the time. No thanks. Glad it works for you.
thumbsup2.gif

FWIW Bell is no better and it's why I ended up with Teksavvy and Shaw Direct Satellite. At least their customer service is decent.

Last edited:
Yeah had them when we first moved in and the billing was a mess and then they had a problem out on the lines on the pole (overhead) and kept blaming our setup. I even plugged the modem direct into a freshly formatted PC and they were still blaming us this went on for months until other neighbors also started complaining and then they finally came and replace the distribution amp creating the problem. Then there is getting someone that doesn't speak proper English most of the time. No thanks. Glad it works for you.
thumbsup2.gif

FWIW Bell is no better and it's why I ended up with Teksavvy and Shaw Direct Satellite. At least their customer service is decent.

I think that's pretty much the case with any of the big consumer getups, the outsourced tech support et all.

We are using their Enterprise service, which is a whole other kettle of fish, the support is local with a 99.9% guaranteed uptime (it hasn't gone down in the 4 years we've had it) and generally it is what you'd hope to experience
smile.gif

For my home stuff, I use Nexicom, which is a local ISP and great to deal with, for the same reasons you've gone with an alternate, no doubt.

I did find a cheaper one than TekSavvy here: http://www.carrytel.ca but it was hard getting information out of them so I decided to stay with Teksavvy even though I would be saving $10/month.

Plus with Teksavvy I get $1/month off for every month they remain a customer. So far I'm up to $5 / month off and still these guys above were cheaper.

I did find a cheaper one than TekSavvy here: http://www.carrytel.ca but it was hard getting information out of them so I decided to stay with Teksavvy even though I would be saving $10/month.

Plus with Teksavvy I get $1/month off for every month they remain a customer. So far I'm up to $5 / month off and still these guys above were cheaper.

I've heard good things about Teksavvy as far as consumer offerings go FWIW, so I'm not surprised your experience with them has been positive
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back