Best Scantool for Checking ATF Temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best "Scantool" for checking the ATF fluid temp in a 2005 Lexus LS430 and a 2009 Lexus IS350?

Best would be a Snap-On Zeus for the low, low price of $16,000.

Perfectly adequate would be any scantool with live data. They're all going to have the trans temp.

Let me rephrase the question. What is the "best" scantool for under $200?

Silly boys...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Won't any scan tool that shows real time data show this? My Actron one does.

Nope

I use Scanguage II for $159 or Google it for lower from Rv place I bought last from.

It's the best guage thing I've ever seen.

I put it on my 2007 6speed auto RX8 many years ago, and found a code from a guy with Mazda 6 that gives me trans temp.

I had some kind of problem with trans at 23k miles, and Mazda gave me a new one.

I put a 18,800BTU tube and fin cooler and lowered temps 14 deg f measuired at inlet and outlet.

Now I can cruise high spped on hot day with engine coolant 193f and trans 193f.

Scanguage on my BMW X1 s28i doesn't work to scan codes since BMW is tricky, but gives turbo boost and hp.

I use as Corrected speedo, reaL WATER TEMPS, ATT TEMPS, AND VARIOUS current or tank mpg.

This is so that you do a drain and fill on your new Camry? What would happen if I drained the Atf into a container, after I have removed the plastic over flow tube as shown in the "how to" ? Drain cold , measure the stuff in the bucket. refill with new after replacing the overflow? Why all the folderrol about heating the ATF ? I don;t get it.

I have just researched this for Toyota to change the trans fluid in a sealed system.

What kind of "Smart" phone do you have?

IPhone: OBD Fusion with WIFI interface.
Android: Torque with Bluetooth interface.

You can buy the interface from Amazon called ELM327 scanner.
You also need to programmed in the Trans temp PID, I know it is on OBD Fusion.
Google for more information in the Toyota's forum.

All these should not be more than $50 for apps and interface.

Last edited:
That's what I'm getting today. $119 at AutoZone. A company rep has been emailing me. Extremely helpful! Scangauge II

The Torque app and plugins for under $10 and then a good ELM 327 adapter for $50 or so. Beware the cheap ELM 327s. Scantool.net has the best ELM adapters.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I have just researched this for Toyota to change the trans fluid in a sealed system.

What kind of "Smart" phone do you have?

IPhone: OBD Fusion with WIFI interface.
Android: Torque with Bluetooth interface.

You can buy the interface from Amazon called ELM327 scanner.
You also need to programmed in the Trans temp PID, I know it is on OBD Fusion.
Google for more information in the Toyota's forum.

All these should not be more than $50 for apps and interface.

I use a Carista OBD-II dongle that uses a newer version of the ELM327 interface, couple it with Torque Pro and you'll come close to more expensive tools. Too bad it can't do ABS on older GMs. It even can set C-BEST on newer Toyotas and custom body settings(and maybe some module coding) on VAG/BMW products with the Carista app and a pro subscription.

I used it to help me get the CMPRET cam/crank correlation set on my friend's Chevy after I did the intake gaskets and fixed a misfire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo
That's what I'm getting today. $119 at AutoZone. A company rep has been emailing me. Extremely helpful! Scangauge II

Ì permanently mounted mine on the instrument cluster.
Now its possible to instantly see all the fluid temps.

LOVE IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back