gumout multi system cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it good stuff? my friend has a old corolla and swears by it and tells me it has really cleaned the internals quite well with over a year of use.

A good long run on the highway for multiple hours consecutively with some red-lining and higher RPM's is the best clean-out IMO. Driving moderately with anything in the tank doesn't do much for the combustion chamber but will help with dirty injectors and dirty valves if the injectors spray across them. Just from what I have personally seen.

Gumout has its pros and limitation like any other fuel system cleaner. It is one of the higher performing ones I have seen out there but the price here makes it unattractive to other products I can get that offer better performance for less.

I personally drive a lot of highway miles for work and make a point of driving my vehicle like I stole it regularly. I also use a fuel system cleaner just before an oil change to keep the injectors clean because I use the cheapest gas I can find (Usually not Top-Tier). It has never failed me doing this and I pass all my smog tests with original equipment like Catalytic converters etc. even after hundreds of thousands of miles.

Last edited:
i do 70 miles round trip 5 days per week in my little aspire on county roads with maybe one or two stops along the way.
my car is a little sluggish even after a tune up and has varnish in the crankcase and i would like to clean it and if possible see if it can make a difference.
i tried berryman b12 and didn't really notice anything except better smelling exhaust.

I think that little 1.3 might be doing well with that many miles and might be the reason for the sluggishness.

Have you done a compression test on it?

I mean you can try what I advised above and you could try the Gumout but I think the engine might just be worn and being a little 1.3 it's a bit underpowered from the start moving a car around and with this many miles that could be adding to it. Just an opinion.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Its a good product although who knows how much PEA is in it? Proprietary info they cant divulge but i still would be curious to know a comparison of products to see what has the most. Ive had good luck with CRC Guaranteed to Pass thats 8.87$ at walmarts in the USA. I think Id rank Gumout 2nd and tied with techron fuel system cleaner. The only thing I dont like about Gumout is the tiny bottles, I know its more concentrated but I am not sure 1 bottle does much.

compression is 150 on all cylinders and i recently installed a new timing belt as the other was close to breaking.
doesn't use any oil or leak anything.
my car has a 10 gallon fuel tank.

Do you have a boroscope that you could look into the cylinders with via the spark-plug holes just to give you an idea if this is the problem?

You can try the Gumout but I think it's not going to do much even over the long term until we know why the car is sluggish. Just trying to save you some cash.

I read a test report and Gumout was the best. They didn't test Seafoam and that's what I use. It's terrific and I will never use anything else.

A 1.3L with 5w40? What oil was originally specced? That might be why it's sluggish, the engine had, what, 70 HP brand new? Not saying Delo is not a good oil; it just might not be an appropriate oil for your application.

i went ahead and purchased a can after work and added 4 ounces in the oil and rest in tank when i filled it.
i will report back tomorrow if i notice a change.

i got some news to report on the gumout. idle is lower than usual and the throttle response is much better im going to run another treatment on the next fill up at 1 ounce per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back