How long do your laptops last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancee accidentally dropped her bag recently which had her 1 year old HP Envy inside. It cracked the touch screen and broke off the power button. You could still turn it on by sticking a toothpick in where the button used to be, and she disabled the touch screen which allowed it to be more usable. Before the touch screen was disabled the laptop constantly thought you were touching the bottom half of the screen so it would open / close pages among other things while she was trying to get work done. She is a middle school / high school teacher and is currently still in college herself so her laptop is very important.

The Black Friday adds are already out so we checked out those deals and didn't see anything crazy good. So we checked out Best Buy's current selection of laptops and ended up with a clearance HP Envy 360 2 in 1 with an AMD FX CPU. I had some trouble setting it up and ended up reinstalling Window. All seems to be running well at this point, it's a very nice machine.

I currently have a $200 HP 2000 and a MacBook Pro. I got the HP 4 years ago and have had no major issues outside of a bad battery, for which a replacement is currently on the way. I haven't used this laptop much in over a year since I got the Macbook Pro about a year ago, that thing is sweet.

I have had numerous other laptops over the years. One died of a motherboard failure, one from a cracked screen, and some I just got rid of and upgraded. The funny thing is my longest running laptop has been the least expensive one I have purchased, my HP 2000 that I am currently typing from. It's right around 4 years old.

Anyway, just curious what kind of life you get out of your laptops, and if they are low, mid, or higher tier units.

I have rarely gotten more than 3 years from a computer, laptop or desktop. I've had HP, eMachines, Compaq, Toshiba...just got whatever was on sale and had good specs for the money. I couldn't careless about my computer as long as it works well. One exception is a Toshiba Satellite I got new for like $200 in 2009 and it kind of works. Overheats quick and sometimes won't turn on, but I use it in my recording studio for simple stuff. Need to replace it. I also have a Dell laptop (typing on it now) that I got in 2015 and actually shopped for something nice and spent more money. Year two and it feels/performs like new. So if it lasts more than 3 years, I think that'll be my plan from now on.

Gateway laptop I am right now is a few short months away from being 10 years old...

My Sony Vaio is maybe 5 years old....

Our old sony Viao almost made it to 8 years....

A real laptop, many years, a P51 ThinkPad, 4k screen? Dead Pixels or insufficient speed. 8th gen quad cores are a must, or you will be obsoleted soon!

A Mac Book Pro? ....the soldered in SSD!

A real laptop you can change the SSD, change the hard drive, even replace the LCD screen. ThinkPads (T470, P51's) are real laptop "workstations"..

Last edited:
Since 2006 I have owned two MacBook Pros. My latest one is the 2012 Model. Runs and looks fine. I travel a lot globally

My current Lenovo X230 is now 4+ years old. It was around $700 back in 2013. Still running great. Only thing I did was install an SSD in it.

we lease our laptops at work for 4 years. at the 3 year point I put a new battery in mine. it was still going strong at 4 years but the lease was up.

I usually use lenovo T series.

Had a T61? T400 and a T530 now ordered it with the FHD screen and I5.

It has 8GB ram and a 256gb samsung 830 SSD.

Still does everything I need it to.. although my use of it has dropped off drastically.

I had to use it for a few weeks when my desktop went kaput.. and it performed fine as a desktop replacement.

I use my early 2011 model 13" MacBook Pro laptop everyday. It is still on the original battery, but I keep it plugged in all the time. Mine is old enough that it didn't come with soldered RAM or drive space. I upgraded the ram to 8 GB's and replaced the pathetic slow hard drive to a much faster SSD.
My wife has a Lenovo ThinkPad T something issued to her from her job which I like the design and construction of.

I have an iPad Pro 12,9” brand in our house; we do everything on it; also, we have a Lenovo Notebook, about 3 year old an has its issues but still in working condition; from our previous experiences with Dell, HP or Asus, three years of lifespan on average from laptops

Black Friday deals are mismatched junkers-- you might get a good CPU but a turkey hard drive. I've had good luck buying $100-200 refurbs.

I get about 7-10 years out of the Thinkpad computers T series and W series. The only fix is typically self installed fan and I replaced all the hard drives with SSD due to failure and one stubborn one due to speed for my kids.

Dropping think pads does not not bother them nor does spilling an 16oz of water into them. They just keep working.

That all being said I have moved onto Mac Book Pro and not sure as tough but much nicer screen and easier to use for job (Cloud Application Architect).

I own a 2014 thinkpad x1 carbon. Supposed to be tough as nails but it has been problem after problem. Keys break, screen broke when I cleaned it with a q tip and it is a touch screen....cost 1600$ new. Always was a PC guy but I think I might stick with mac's because....

My wife's 2008 MacBook pro recently took a dump on her but that was 9 years of usage....I bought her a used 2014 MacBook air that I also use now and it is an amazingly flawless machine.

My 1500$ Surface Pro 3 that has some nice specs recently cracked its screen as well. I have a expensive case on it and I accidentally dropped it on a pile of laundry...cant believe how easy these things are to break...

We've had HP's and on the average they are running just a little over 7 years average. My wife's is 6 and we just had to replace her HD. My current HP is two and I've had to replace the HD. Next laptop with have solid state memory.

Last edited:
I have an HP EliteBook 8560w that is just coming up on 6 years and still runs well. I usually change them every 5 years, but have decided to run this one until it dies.:)

Asus Taichi 31, bought new in 2012. Everyday home and work use, on the go too. Outside Touch screen cracked from a 2 meters height fall, had to cut the wires to disable it. Regular inside screen still going strong, maybe lost some brightness. SSD still ok, backlighted keyboard too... for a product bought with 60% rebate it’s a bargain !

I have bought four laptops since 2009, the last one in 2015. They all still work fine.

My 'problem' such as it is, is that gaming laptops become obsolete, long before they physically stop working. Every new laptop I've bought has given me an initial 'wow!' moment, where games which I couldn't previously play, suddenly play fluidly. Sadly it never lasts.

My current laptop, an Asus N551 has a lovely 1080p screen and an Nvidia 850M GPU. In my mind, this was going to be 'the one that lasts!'. Yet it already belongs in a museum! I'll probably wait until next year before replacing it. There are plenty of high powered laptops I could buy but IMO they are all generating far too much heat. I'll wait for the next generation of CPUs/GPUs to be introduced to hopefully cure (or mitigate) this issue.

Last edited:
I get like 2-3 years then they start moving slow. I'm sure a tech guy could tune it up or whatever. Defragmenting doesn't seem to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back